Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How do you handle Matt Schaub's contract?
Trade him for picks this off-season, Yates starts next season. 15 15.00%
Let him walk after next season, Yates sits next season, starts the following. 26 26.00%
Re-sign Schaub and find the cap room elsewhere. 59 59.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2011   #41
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 28177 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Matt Schaub's Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
It's too soon to make any kind of informed decision on this. At this point Yates has made a case for replacing Leinart as the 2.

He's getting better by the week and if he keeps improving then he might be pushing Schaub in camp next year or even begin the year as the starter if Schaub isn't ready to go. If he keeps getting better and carries this team to a Super Bowl then sure, he's the starter because that's how the NFL works.

I think there's enough time left in this season + playoffs for Yates to take that job. I can't say he's done it yet.

This
Old 12-13-2011   #42
Sideline
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 118 Sideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Sideline

I'd go into next season exactly as we came into this season. Except with a switch of Yates and Leinart.

Schaub starts
Yates backup
Leinart third
Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #43
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
I'd go into next season exactly as we came into this season. Except with a switch of Yates and Leinart.

Schaub starts
Yates backup
Leinart third
Obviously that's how it should be at this moment in time. But what if Yates takes us to the AFC Championship? Super Bowl?? What then?

Old 12-13-2011   #44
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

I think some of you forget that schaub won games when our defense was horrible. TJ has hung on to win when our defense is outstanding. Schaub is a pro bowl MVP. TJ has started2 nfl games. And if TJ happens to lose one of the next three games all you people will be moaning for one the old fart backups
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #45
Mike77015
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Mike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanway View Post
What are you saying? Leinhart was 10-13 in attempts or something before he got hurt. I was utterly amazed by his statistics. I would try to keep all of them. Every Texans QB was playing very well when they started so you shouldn't release any of them.
Leinhart was going to get Foster killed with that checkdown pass, and would not spend anytime looking down field out of fear of being hit. That is why his stats looked so impressive, but you need to look at what kind of passes he was completing. Leinhart will never be a good starter in the NFL.
Mike77015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #46
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we have to see what is going to really happen with Mario Williams due to his large salary and we also have to re-sign Arian Foster as well so we do have some big choices to make in the very near future. I think we need to hold our horses and let this play out and we also have to see how Matt recovers from the Lis Franc injury as well so we have a number of factors going on here.
Old 12-13-2011   #47
Kthx
All Pro

Section: Bar Table
Rep Power: 8622 Kthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respected

Its been two and a half games.. and even though Yates is playing decently he isn't up to Schaub's level yet. I don't know what else to say about this thread so..

Come on man.
Kthx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #48
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthx View Post

Its been two and a half games.. and even though Yates is playing decently he isn't up to Schaub's level yet. I don't know what else to say about this thread so..

Come on man.
Hey just think back when Tom Brady took over for Drew Bledsoe everyone said the same thing that you are saying no one thought that Tom Brady would lead them to a super bowl victory that season and take over a for a Drew Bledsoe who was still in his prime at the time. Drew couldn't unseat Tom Brady and there offense moved much better with Brady in the game. Can same thing be happening here lets wait and see!!!!

Old 12-13-2011   #49
Kthx
All Pro

Rep Power: 8622 Kthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Yates alot, and he might be the future of our Franchise, but two more years learning under Schaub and Kubiak wouldn't and couldn't hurt ya know. I am just saying lets not toss Schaub under the bus after Yates looks good :P
Old 12-13-2011   #50
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Wink Re: Matt Schaub's Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthx View Post
I like Yates alot, and he might be the future of our Franchise, but two more years learning under Schaub and Kubiak wouldn't and couldn't hurt ya know. I am just saying lets not toss Schaub under the bus after Yates looks good :P
The point of the thread wasn't to 'toss Schaub under the bus' its more to discuss what the Texans are going to do about suddenly finding themselves in a situation where they have a hot prospect with the potential to eventually win the job.

Schaub is Schaub, he's really good but has hit his cieling. I agree with the previous post that he looks scared of contact a lot of the time and allows that to cloud his decision making. Sure he won't stop you from achieving anything but then again he isn't going to put the team on his back either.

I'm not really sure where Schaubs value is on the market, it'd be fair to expect his value has moved on from where it was when we first signed him to ~$8mill p/year. So what are we going to pay him? 10-12 a year? In that case you can wave goodbye to either Mario, or a load of other good players who will need paying in the coming few years.

Thats all I'm saying here. Do you want to pay top tier money for good but limited talent??
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #51
robroy72
Veteran

Rep Power: 6816 robroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesterday View Post
Trade Schaub, 2013 2nd and 3rd Round Picks to Washington for 2012 1st round pick.

Trade Washington 2012 1st round pick, Texans 2012 1st round pick, Texans 2013 1st round pick and 2012 Texans 4th round pick to Indy for 2012 #1 overall pick.

Draft RGIII and win titles.
robroy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #52
datchapin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2013 datchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respected

Let Schaub walk after next season. unless hes willing to play second fiddle. I dont have animosity against Schaub, but lets not forget even though hes put up nice stats his performance is not elite. He has thrown alot of bad throws in critical situations some of which have cost us games over the years, hell, help me out, but how did the Raiders game end? Lets not forget how the offense would disappear in some halves, Matt was a part of that disappearing act. Some mention the decrease in points, but thats to be expected, YATES WAS THE THIRD STRING QB!!!! How many snaps do any of you think he really got, I mean when Schaub went down they didn't go to Yates did they? So having said that, coming off an injury Matt won't have much trade value, he has a history of injuries and is getting older. If Yates keeps improving I think you negotiate with Matt looking to give him a back-up salary. If Matt thinks he has a better shot on the free-agent market.... then good luck to him.
datchapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #53
brad77
Rookie

Section: Sec 350 Row E
Rep Power: 275 brad77 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrad77 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrad77 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrad77 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrad77 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrad77 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrad77 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrad77 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrad77 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrad77 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrad77 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
I think we have to see what is going to really happen with Mario Williams due to his large salary and we also have to re-sign Arian Foster as well so we do have some big choices to make in the very near future. I think we need to hold our horses and let this play out and we also have to see how Matt recovers from the Lis Franc injury as well so we have a number of factors going on here.
Exactly. We have to get this contract situation taken care of long before we start worrying about the QB situation. If Tj can take us deep into the playoffs, I say put him at the number two slot and watch Schaub and see how he does with his foot injury. Right now, the team has a huge decision to make with Mario and with Foster. Both FA next year and both solid players. is it even possible to keep both on the roster and stay under the cap. Foster is going to get big $$ offers and its going to take some money to get him to stay. Remember he is the bargain player comming off the practice squad and becoming a league leading rusher. We have to find a way to sign these players, or decide whom we are going to let go.

Personally I like having the 1-2 punch of Foster and Tate, I don't know how but I feel we got to find a way to keep both backs and let them work together as they have done this season. Its been nice to see that they split time and both get ample rest. What do we do with Mario? Get him healthy? Trade Him? let him walk as a FA? these are tough questions that will be answered in the off season.
brad77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #54
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 114917 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchapin View Post
Let Schaub walk after next season. unless hes willing to play second fiddle. I dont have animosity against Schaub, but lets not forget even though hes put up nice stats his performance is not elite. He has thrown alot of bad throws in critical situations some of which have cost us games over the years, hell, help me out, but how did the Raiders game end? Lets not forget how the offense would disappear in some halves, Matt was a part of that disappearing act. Some mention the decrease in points, but thats to be expected, YATES WAS THE THIRD STRING QB!!!! How many snaps do any of you think he really got, I mean when Schaub went down they didn't go to Yates did they? So having said that, coming off an injury Matt won't have much trade value, he has a history of injuries and is getting older. If Yates keeps improving I think you negotiate with Matt looking to give him a back-up salary. If Matt thinks he has a better shot on the free-agent market.... then good luck to him.
This post is like a train wreck. I just can't look away.

Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world. -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #55
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 264272 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I just keep thinking "What a positively wonderful problem to have!"
Old 12-13-2011   #56
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Depends on what TJ does. If he leads us to the SB, even in a loss there, he deserves the starting job. We trade Schaub for some high draft picks, and use those on a #2 WR and some CB help. Yates just has much more talent than Schaub and no one can deny that. Only thing Schaub has over Yates is experience, in my opinion. Yates will get his.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #57
texanmojo
Shotgun 30 Time

Section: The Nosebleeds
Rep Power: 3019 texanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanmojo is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Depends on what TJ does. If he leads us to the SB, even in a loss there, he deserves the starting job. We trade Schaub for some high draft picks, and use those on a #2 WR and some CB help.
I disagree. What's to say that Schaub wouldn't have lead us to the Super Bowl if he hadn't gotten hurt?

Our offensive production is down DRASTICALLY without Shaub. I think Yates has done a nice job considering the circumstances but by no means am I willing to annoint him the next Texans QB. He's a backup fro Christ's sake.

I'm confident that the Texans probably would not have been in the position to have to come from behind this past weekend if Schaub had been playing.

I say...let Leinart go. He's not going to want to be 3rd string. Yates can be a good backup until Schaub retires...or is not capable of playing at the level he does now.
texanmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #58
Kthx
All Pro

From what I could see out of Leinart the guy would be happy being a 5th string QB as long as he got paid, he seriously didn't even seem like he wanted to be out there to begin with. I say drop him hard this year.
Old 12-13-2011   #59
Atl Cav
Veteran

Rep Power: 2751 Atl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post
hand the franchise over to yates... trade schaub and get what you can for him. quite a few QB hungry teams, only problem i see is there are some quality QBs coming out the draft this year.. to think, yates has only been playing organized football for 5 years. NC fans say he improved every year.. he already shows more poise, confidence, arm strength, mobility, & heart than schaub has ever shown, yates is more talented than schaub bottomline and has the QB traits you cant teach.. some of the guys around these texans board seem to be holding onto something with matt schaub, i keep being reminded about his 9k yards and all-star game MVP like it means something.. plain & simple schaub has 1 year left on his contract, if hes not gonna be apart of the texans future, trade him while he has value (he will be exposed when he no longer plays in the texans system)...

Winners win, losers make excuses....
This is a predictable and short-sighted response...These games would havebeen blowouts with an experienced QB like Schaub. Hopefully management will understand a great defense and a quality running game alone wont get us to the top. But I can understand your enthusiasm for Yates...I share it. but i dont want to finally have all of the ingredients we have lacked for years and deal the one asset that had carried the team for years.
Atl Cav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #60
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atl Cav View Post
This is a predictable and short-sighted response...These games would havebeen blowouts with an experienced QB like Schaub.
Maybe.

When the question, "Can we win a Super Bowl with Matt Schaub" comes up, the answer usually references Dilfer or Johnson. Though many do not want to admit it, I think it mean we all know that something is missing.

That something, we're seeing in Tj Yates.

"It"

Six years into this, it should be clear whether Schaub has "it" or not. You'd think anyway. Personally, I don't think we'll know if Schaub has "it" until we see him in a play-off game.

I also don't know if Tj's "it" is real, won't know until he plays in the play-offs.... like Romo. He's got "fool's it" looks like the real thing, unless the game matters & they don't really matter until you're in the play-offs.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read