Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-12-2011   #21
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Joel Dreesen

I think it is very important to retain Dreesen. He is such a natural fit in our offense.
Old 12-12-2011   #22
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he's important to keep at the right price. For comparison, here's a list of TE base salaries for 2011:

Quote:
Kellen Winslow at Tight End $8,290,000
Owen Daniels at Tight End $6,500,000
Tony Gonzalez at Tight End $5,750,000
Antonio Gates at Tight End $5,200,000
Vernon Davis at Tight End $4,708,000
Dallas Clark at Tight End $4,200,000
Chris Cooley at Tight End $3,700,000
Jason Witten at Tight End $3,391,000
Heath Miller at Tight End $3,386,000
Visanthe Shiancoe at Tight End $3,100,000
Jeremy Shockey at Tight End $3,000,000
Jim Kleinsasser at Tight End $3,000,000
Benjamin Watson at Tight End $2,420,000
Anthony Fasano at Tight End $1,900,000
Tony Scheffler at Tight End $1,550,000
Daniel Fells at Tight End $1,500,000
Brent Celek at Tight End $1,215,000
Jermichael Finley at Tight End $1,200,000
Scott Chandler at Tight End $1,200,000
Will Heller at Tight End $1,100,000
Bo Scaife at Tight End $1,000,000
Matt Spaeth at Tight End $1,000,000
Billy Bajema at Tight End $985,000
Mike Leach at Tight End $975,000
Dustin Keller at Tight End $927,500
http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/tight-end/

Signing bonuses aside, there is a general progression of talent to money in this list. It's not exact, but you can see that the better TE's are paid well with a few notable exceptions. Jimmy Graham and Ron Gronkowski are still on rookie contracts, but will likely get nice deals in the next couple years.

The question is, which of the higher paid TEs would you say are better than Dreessen, and where would you slot Dreessen given those salaries? I don't think Joel cracks the top 10 (at least not with OD still around), but I could definitely see him fitting in the 11-15 area. He's better than Shockey IMO, but I don't think he's worth 3 million as a #2 TE. I think fair value for what he brings to this team would be somewhere around 2 million a year over 3-4 years. He's 29 and will be 30 by next year's training camp, but I don't think he has had any major injuries that would bring his health into the equation.

To me, the real value of Dreessen is that he can step in for OD if he gets injured again. I don't think Joel is as explosive as OD, but he has reliable hands and makes some big catches when needed. He's not a go-to guy that you throw to 8-12 times a game, but he makes the most of the 4 targets he gets. I like that about him and I think he could be another team's #1 TE if given the chance, but I don't think he will get it. If I was Rick Smith, I would offer him something in the neighborhood of 8 million over 4 years with 4 million guaranteed + 1 mill signing bonus (assuming we are pinching pennies to sign other guys). Average of 2.25 million a year seems about right to me.
Old 12-12-2011   #23
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Would you keep him or pay Foster/Williams with the extra money?
Old 12-12-2011   #24
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I think we'll make an offer to Dreesen but I think someone else will make a bigger offer and we'll allow him to walk in FA, I wish him the best. I think we'll move on with Graham and finally get to see what he's got.
I hope not...

Not that I don't like Grahm, but Dreesen is a good role player...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011   #25
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think some good players will walk over the next few years. With Kubes coaching the O and Wade coaching the D those guys who are role players will rise in percieved value.

Texans need to value Dreessen based on his own use to the team and trust in Graham/perhaps move Casey back to TE if that value doesn't match what the market offers him.

We've got waay too many big names coming up for renewal over the next year or 2 to be overpaying role players no matter how well they fit the system.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011   #26
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Dreesen....Leading TD grabber for us this year.

What do you guys think his future is with the team?

This is the last year of his contract I believe. UFA next year...

Do we bring him back? If so, what is a fair contract for him?

I fear that some team is going to give him a nice contract that we can't realistically afford to match....But he is super valuable as the second TE...

What say you on this topic?

********Mods can one of you fix the Title?????
Dreesen is GONE, I tell you GONE! and it is all your fault Rey. This off season you are gonna look back to this thread and realize you drove Joe away by leaving the L off. How could you? I know I should just leave you the "L" alone but I just cannot. Aren't you a true Texans fan? Can you not just slow the fingers down a bit? Can you not remember the song "I want a man with slow hands?"

Shame on you and BTW we are no longer friends. .well maybe that is just a bit too far. We can be friends but you have to watch out for the language Nazi. They are every where. LOL or just O to you.
Old 12-12-2011   #27
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 46308 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

My first experience with Dreessen wasn't that great. I took my grandson to one the morning practices and lots of players came around and signed autographs. Joel signed about three and told everyone else "come back tonight"

None of the other players brushed off the kids.

But have to say he won me back last year. He would talk to the media after a loss and was genuinely upset. Some players talk about a loss like I would talk about a Kansas City loss. No emotion at all.

So I hope we keep him.
Old 12-12-2011   #28
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 20599 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

He did Football 101 with the Battle Red Ladies last year, had just had a little boy, was showing everyone pictures and could not have been more friendly.

Having kids changes your perspective, I bet he wouldn't do that again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasTom View Post
My first experience with Dreessen wasn't that great. I took my grandson to one the morning practices and lots of players came around and signed autographs. Joel signed about three and told everyone else "come back tonight"

None of the other players brushed off the kids.

But have to say he won me back last year. He would talk to the media after a loss and was genuinely upset. Some players talk about a loss like I would talk about a Kansas City loss. No emotion at all.

So I hope we keep him.
Old 12-12-2011   #29
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 264510 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Joel Dr-E-E-S-S-en

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Dreesen is GONE, I tell you GONE! and it is all your fault Rey...
Dreesen never was a Texan ..... Dreessen, on the other hand, is da man.

Last edited by Playoffs; 12-12-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011   #30
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Joel Dreessen

Quote:
********Mods can one of you fix the Title?????
Done. Joel deserves his name spelled correctly. Just another of the many unsung heroes on this team.
Old 12-12-2011   #31
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the name fix.

And bb..... I apologize in advance!!!!
Old 12-12-2011   #32
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 225538 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Joel Dr-E-E-S-S-en

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleep View Post
Dreesen never was a Texan ..... Dresseen, on the other hand, is da man.
But, how about Dreessen?
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #33
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, he will be back. too good to let go.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #34
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

If Texans can manage to apropriate around 13mil over next four years to retain his services then Joel would probably accept a home town discount. If not the outcome will turn out just like Leach. Therefore I would draft another TE & lets see what Graham can do? It did scare me when he drove his knee into the turf, that looked painful, bet his knee is swollen, black & blue. I can't blame a professional for making his market value given associated risks.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #35
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I think he's important to keep at the right price. For comparison, here's a list of TE base salaries for 2011:

http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/tight-end/

Signing bonuses aside, there is a general progression of talent to money in this list. It's not exact, but you can see that the better TE's are paid well with a few notable exceptions. Jimmy Graham and Ron Gronkowski are still on rookie contracts, but will likely get nice deals in the next couple years.

The question is, which of the higher paid TEs would you say are better than Dreessen, and where would you slot Dreessen given those salaries? I don't think Joel cracks the top 10 (at least not with OD still around), but I could definitely see him fitting in the 11-15 area. He's better than Shockey IMO, but I don't think he's worth 3 million as a #2 TE. I think fair value for what he brings to this team would be somewhere around 2 million a year over 3-4 years. He's 29 and will be 30 by next year's training camp, but I don't think he has had any major injuries that would bring his health into the equation.

To me, the real value of Dreessen is that he can step in for OD if he gets injured again. I don't think Joel is as explosive as OD, but he has reliable hands and makes some big catches when needed. He's not a go-to guy that you throw to 8-12 times a game, but he makes the most of the 4 targets he gets. I like that about him and I think he could be another team's #1 TE if given the chance, but I don't think he will get it. If I was Rick Smith, I would offer him something in the neighborhood of 8 million over 4 years with 4 million guaranteed + 1 mill signing bonus (assuming we are pinching pennies to sign other guys). Average of 2.25 million a year seems about right to me.
Good post.

Seems like we should be able to keep him no problem. He has been big for us in the redone this year and he's made some big plays.

I think we have to find a way to bring him back.

Pay the man Rick!
Old 12-13-2011   #36
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
If Texans can manage to apropriate around 13mil over next four years to retain his services then Joel would probably accept a home town discount. If not the outcome will turn out just like Leach. Therefore I would draft another TE & lets see what Graham can do? It did scare me when he drove his knee into the turf, that looked painful, bet his knee is swollen, black & blue. I can't blame a professional for making his market value given associated risks.
I think dreessen sees the field a little more than leach did though. I dunno, you bring up a good point too.
Old 12-13-2011   #37
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Bring him back at a nice price.
Old 12-13-2011   #38
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Good post.

Seems like we should be able to keep him no problem. He has been big for us in the redone this year and he's made some big plays.

I think we have to find a way to bring him back.

Pay the man Rick!
Keeping him will likely depend on what they do with Mario and Arian. We aren't getting much room to work with next year unless the cap increases, so signing both of those guys will preclude us from keeping Dreessen and possibly Myers too. I think we're going to see Mario walk, Jacoby cut, re-sign Dreessen Myers & Rackers and a new contract for Foster. Then use draft picks to fill-in the gaps.
Old 12-13-2011   #39
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Yall know he has a Chris Berman nickname right? Joel "Salad" Dreessen!
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #40
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Keeping him will likely depend on what they do with Mario and Arian. We aren't getting much room to work with next year unless the cap increases, so signing both of those guys will preclude us from keeping Dreessen and possibly Myers too. I think we're going to see Mario walk, Jacoby cut, re-sign Dreessen Myers & Rackers and a new contract for Foster. Then use draft picks to fill-in the gaps.
If it comes down to Mario or Dreessen (which I don't think it will) I think we re-sign Mario (which I think we will do anyways).

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read