Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-05-2011   #61
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Foster is an Elite back

Foster is going to be a delimma. I agree with Texecutioner, 9+ million is a lot of money for a RB. I think $5 million would be an insult.

I'd want nothing more to keep him, probably offer him a 6 year deal totaling 60 million or so. Give him a signing bonus of $30 million & a low salary over the first 3 years of the contract, say $200,000. The last three years will split the balance of the contract About $10 Million per year.

Structured like that, the Texans can make Arian's cap number just about anything they want, $5M/yr if they want, spreading the remaining $15Million over the last three years of his contract.

Three years from the signing, they can renegotiate to extend him & spread that $15Million out over the term of the new contract along with whatever guaranteed money he gets at that time. The only problem with this type of structure, is if Arian gets hurt so bad we elect to cut him, whatever remains from that bonus will go against that year's cap.
Old 12-05-2011   #62
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post

You can't get just any safety to be spectacular on a defense. You can't get just any CB to be spectacular on any defense. You can't get any D lineman or O lineman to be spectacular at their positions. Those are all positions where you "need" great players at those positions if you want high quality production. It's been proven time and time again that with a good blocking scheme in the running game that average backs can be very consistent. The NE Patriots have done that for years especially the last 4 seasons.
We start Kareem Jackson

He's "productive" in this system. If you're looking for spectacular play, it's the same thing with Foster. Sure you can probably find a dozen backs that could be productive in our "system" But Arian is spectacular.
Old 12-05-2011   #63
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7237 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If you're looking for spectacular play, it's the same thing with Foster. Sure you can probably find a dozen backs that could be productive in our "system" But Arian is spectacular.
I've come to this same conclusion.

Arian is special.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #64
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

I dunno. Arian seems to have his head on straight. I just don't see him holding out a la CJ1K or doing "pay me Rick" type foolishness.

What has he done to make folks think he'll clown like that for his contract?

I agree with whoever said, we should have given him an extension this year and not had this to worry about for the next 4 or so years.
Old 12-05-2011   #65
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1623 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

I sort of get the feeling that Foster would demand enough money to make sure he can take care of his family for the rest of his life after football. He doesn't seem like the type of person to jerk out about a contract and he doesn't seem the type to blow his money on stupid shiz.

I think the Texans value him greatly after looking for a starting running back worth squat for almost a decade. I think they'll make a very good offer to him and he's likely going to take it so he can continue to run behind that stellar O-Line and continue to be a part of a winning team that he helped build.

monkey
HuttoKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #66
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
I sort of get the feeling that Foster would demand enough money to make sure he can take care of his family for the rest of his life after football. He doesn't seem like the type of person to jerk out about a contract and he doesn't seem the type to blow his money on stupid shiz.

I think the Texans value him greatly after looking for a starting running back worth squat for almost a decade. I think they'll make a very good offer to him and he's likely going to take it so he can continue to run behind that stellar O-Line and continue to be a part of a winning team that he helped build.
I agree with this.

I think we'll offer a reasonable contract and he'll accept because technically we could just tender him. Fosters only leverage is a hold out and I don't see him doing that.

I think he wants a good amount of money but I don't think he's going to tell the texans to break the bank or else.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #67
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1975 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

Perhaps the front office have already had a talk with Arian behind closed doors. He plays out the rest of his deal without mentioning contract talks - which should be expected, but actually doesn't happen often - and the front office takes care of him next year.

I think the biggest deterrence was probably what happened with Slaton. The Texans wanted to be absolutely sure this wasn't another case of the one year wonder.

Now they know. Regardless of what Tate does the rest of the way, the Texans will pay Foster a good deal.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #68
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I agree with this.

I think we'll offer a reasonable contract...
The man speaks pterodactyl. We have no idea what he thinks "reasonable is"
Old 12-05-2011   #69
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The man speaks pterodactyl. We have no idea what he thinks "reasonable is"
He's quirky not dense.

But I get your point.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #70
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 35195 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Foster is going to be a delimma. I agree with Texecutioner, 9+ million is a lot of money for a RB. I think $5 million would be an insult.

I'd want nothing more to keep him, probably offer him a 6 year deal totaling 60 million or so. Give him a signing bonus of $30 million & a low salary over the first 3 years of the contract, say $200,000. The last three years will split the balance of the contract About $10 Million per year.

Structured like that, the Texans can make Arian's cap number just about anything they want, $5M/yr if they want, spreading the remaining $15Million over the last three years of his contract.

Three years from the signing, they can renegotiate to extend him & spread that $15Million out over the term of the new contract along with whatever guaranteed money he gets at that time. The only problem with this type of structure, is if Arian gets hurt so bad we elect to cut him, whatever remains from that bonus will go against that year's cap.
5 mill is an insult? 5 million a year is top 5 RB money. Take a look at this site.
Here are the top 5 base salaries:
Adrian Peterson: 10.7
Chris Johnson: 9.3(from another site)
Steven Jackson: 7.2
Darren McFadden: 7.05
Michael Turner: 5.0

If you are paying the man top 5 money at his position, I hardly see that as an insult. If anything it is an acknowledgment that he is one of the best at his position and he is being compensated as such. If he was offered, say 1.75 (which is what the 20th best RB gets) than that could be construed as insulting. Top 5 money is not insulting.

Also keep in mind that Foster makes 500k this year, so a bump up to 5mill is 10 fold raise. Again, its hard to feel insulted when you are given a raise that is 10 times your previous salary.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011   #71
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144827 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
5 mill is an insult? 5 million a year is top 5 RB money. Take a look at this site.
Here are the top 5 base salaries:
Adrian Peterson: 10.7
Chris Johnson: 9.3(from another site)
Steven Jackson: 7.2
Darren McFadden: 7.05
Michael Turner: 5.0

If you are paying the man top 5 money at his position, I hardly see that as an insult. If anything it is an acknowledgment that he is one of the best at his position and he is being compensated as such. If he was offered, say 1.75 (which is what the 20th best RB gets) than that could be construed as insulting. Top 5 money is not insulting.

Also keep in mind that Foster makes 500k this year, so a bump up to 5mill is 10 fold raise. Again, its hard to feel insulted when you are given a raise that is 10 times your previous salary.

I think he'll get a deal in the neighborhood of Steven Jackson money .... Thats just my gut feeling.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read