Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2011   #421
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: TJ Yates

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I didn't get to see the game, but seeing this video actually gives me a little more confidence. Yates seems to have good pocket presence. When the pocket collapses, he moves where as Shaub use to irritate me bc he would tuck and crumble more off than not. Too often I saw Shaub just accept a sack when he still had time to attempt to avoid it. I could be being nit picky. Yates moves well also, and seems to know when to get rid of the ball. His passes seem pretty accurate, expecially the one to AJ with 4 defenders.

Dare I say, I'm actually excited about his potential. Already, to me, he looks better than Sage ever did, or the back up we had before sage who's name escapes me for some reason right now.

Sad part is, there has always been some sort of QB controversy among fans. I don't think anyone has ever been completely sold on Shaub. Out of all the jerseys I own, not one of them is a #8 (I gave the HWNWNBM to goodwill some time ago) Yates, I see something different in him and I believe he can prosper in our system.

I guess the point of this post, is all hope is not lost...far from it. Yates could have went in and looked like Ponder or Gabbert or one of the other rookies, but he seems to have more poise...and that is something to put some faith in.
Old 12-03-2011   #422
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
That was an awesome read. Now, I really want to see him succeed. Even more than before.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011   #423
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 40576 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
If this team loses all five games and misses the playoffs and Gary is not fired then I will quite on this team. Even with Yates there should not be any excuses this year. This team should be a wildcard at worst. I don't them having a major let down and losing out.
I won't quit on the team, but yeah...

Playoffs or layoffs in 2012
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011   #424
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
If this team loses all five games and misses the playoffs and Gary is not fired then I will quite on this team. Even with Yates there should not be any excuses this year. This team should be a wildcard at worst. I don't them having a major let down and losing out.
A wildcard is going to need a minimum of 10 wins this year.

What are you basing your expectations on?
Old 12-03-2011   #425
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
A wildcard is going to need a minimum of 10 wins this year.

What are you basing your expectations on?
What do you mean? They had just better eek out two more wins somewhere. T.J. is not a reason not to at least make it IMHO.
Old 12-03-2011   #426
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 40576 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's another interesting TJ Yates article back in August. I have not seen this one posted.

Note the pinky things again. "Tea Time with TJ."

Quote:
Texans put rookie QB on accelerated learning curve
Under the gun

With Matt Leinhart unable to practice, Texans have put rookie QB T.J. Yates on an accelerated learning curve
CRAIG MALVEAUX
Published 05:30 a.m., Thursday, August 4, 2011

T.J.Yates dropped five steps into the pocket, scanning the field of receivers who cut across the hash marks. Seeing the separation between Terrence Toliver and his defender, Yates adjusted his shoulders and released a crisp pass toward the sideline.

The football, however, was underthrown, allowing cornerback Sherrick McManis to recover and make the interception.

On the next play, Yates fumbled a routine handoff to the running back. The rookie quarterback gathered himself and strung together a series of consecutive completions.

"T.J. has shown some very good signs of short-term memory out there," said quarterbacks coach Greg Knapp. "In this business, every quarterback is going to have some tough times, but you have to fight through them and bounce back, and he's done that so far."

Yates, 24, has been placed in a tough position in camp. There's no time for him to dwell on mistakes. He's too busy processing large volumes of information and taking two-thirds of the snaps thanks to NFL regulations preventing Matt Leinart from practicing until today.

The last three days have been mentally grueling for Yates, who just received the playbook last week. But he isn't complaining.

"I don't even know what day of the week it is," he said with a smile. "I've been extremely lucky to get this many reps as a rookie this early in camp, so I'm taking it one day at a time and working with Coach (Gary) Kubiak and Coach Knapp to get better. It's been awesome."

As expected, the NFL's learning curve — especially at quarterback — is steep for him. Reading the defense, understanding the progressions, improving footwork in the pocket and making smarter decisions with the football are all things Yates is learning daily.

"He's taking two steps forward and a step backward, which we expect because he's going to make mistakes," Knapp said. "But we're seeing good progress. T.J. is a smart kid that has managed a lot of information very well in a short amount of time."

Yates said familiarity has been instrumental in his improvement.

"Half of the verbiage within the offense is the same as North Carolina," he said of his alma mater. "There are a lot of the same concepts so being able to memorize them and the formations has def-initely made the transition a lot easier."

Kubiak praised Yates' growth following Tuesday's practice.

"If you want to pick out a guy that's made the most improvement from practice one to two, it was him," Kubiak said.

Watching starting quarterback Matt Schaub has been helpful.

"I'm learning the little things about how to work cadences and how he kind of approaches things in the huddle," Yates said. "You have to mimic his exact cadence, you have to say the exact same things that he says in the huddle so when you get in the huddle with his guys there's no dropoff."
http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/a...ve-2079166.php
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011   #427
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 53235 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Here's another interesting TJ Yates article back in August. I have not seen this one posted.

Note the pinky things again. "Tea Time with TJ."

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/a...ve-2079166.php
He mad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011   #428
Texcore
Hardcore Texan

Rep Power: 796 Texcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I disagree. Schaub may not be mobile, but he has a pretty accurate arm as a passer and has shown for several years now that he can lead this team and put up a lot of points. He's a poor man's Kurt Warner and I'm alright with that unless there is a better and younger guy that has the potential to be elite.

I'm not high on Yates at all, and I'm hoping that he'll surprise me, but as far as the future goes I want to look for other options unless Yates kicks ass and takes names.
Of course he has shown he can run the offense, but he has shown me enough to know that he can never lift this franchise up an carry them on his shoulders as play making QBs need to do from time to time, and in the playoffs, like a Warner and others. I've seen him come up short too many times in the regular season, INTs to end games, failed drives, etc. I've never identified the clutch gene in him. And in all honesty, my fear before Schaub went down, was one and done in the playoffs, getting outsted by a more experiened playoff team and playoff veteran QB. Thats how much I lack in faith with him.
Texcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011   #429
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcore View Post
Of course he has shown he can run the offense, but he has shown me enough to know that he can never lift this franchise up an carry them on his shoulders as play making QBs need to do from time to time, and in the playoffs, like a Warner and others. I've seen him come up short too many times in the regular season, INTs to end games, failed drives, etc. I've never identified the clutch gene in him. And in all honesty, my fear before Schaub went down, was one and done in the playoffs, getting outsted by a more experiened playoff team and playoff veteran QB. Thats how much I lack in faith with him.
Then "in all honesty", why waste your time here on the Texans board. Shirley, there's another board out there that you'd feel much more comfy on. Sheesh.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011   #430
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101421 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Really Schaub finally had a defense to help out one of the top 5 best offense in the last 3 seasons, and he led us to a 7-3 record. No team can win a championship without a defense and we have not had even a descent one until this season. Get outta here with that retarded shit.

You sound like the talking heads on BSPN.

Oh and u must not watch games if you havent seen the clutch gene in him, 2 times last season he succedded, and many other time he brought us back only to have our D give up the lead again and he had to do it all over again. When the other team can score on your D in less than a minute, that dont help ur QB once he has took us down the field and given us the lead,
Old 12-04-2011   #431
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
See, for me, I've seen the clutch gene in Schaub quite a bit. Sure, he's thrown some ints to end games but he's also scored a lot in the final few minutes of the game that SHOULD have sealed the deal... just to watch the defense piss it away. Last season, he brought our team back several times. To me, that's cluch.

And even if he would have played and even if we would have been one and done in the playoffs, that wouldn't have bothered me. Lots of "great"/"elite" QBs have gone one and done in the playoffs. How long has it been since Brady has won a playoff game? How many playoff games has Manning lost? Brees?

For me, I see this season as being our chance to get into the playoffs and get experience at it. I'm looking at this as being the first of many playoff appearances. I was hoping Schaub would get to the playoffs this season to get valuable experience for next season and the season after that.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011   #432
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Time to place your bets on Yates ladies & gentlemen

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011   #433
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 101421 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
im betting he throws atleast 2 TD passes.
Old 12-04-2011   #434
ChrisG
Road Fan

Rep Power: 6268 ChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think he will do fine. 100-150 yards (due to limited attempts), 2 tds, 1 int
Old 12-04-2011   #435
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184609 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Im just betting on a W .....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011   #436
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
Just FYI, Tom Brady was a not very highly touted 6th round pick (I believe) While Ryan Leaf was all the talk coming out of college....
I know what Tom Brady was, so are you suggesting that Yates might become Tom Brady who is arguably one of the best 3 QB's of all time? Brady was an exception that isn't normal at all.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011   #437
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I know what Tom Brady was, so are you suggesting that Yates might become Tom Brady who is arguably one of the best 3 QB's of all time? Brady was an exception that isn't normal at all.
but it does happen, never know, he is looking pretty damn good so far in his first start
Old 12-04-2011   #438
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Yates 8-13 over 100 yards 1 TD. 10 min left in 2nd quarter

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011   #439
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
but it does happen, never know, he is looking pretty damn good so far in his first start
And I just watched Yates stumble his ass off after the snap and gain his composure and then throw a bomb down the field to AJ. Lol!!!!

He's looking good so far in this game.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011   #440
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

i am feeling pretty good about us going deep in the play offs now as well.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read