Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 12-01-2011   #61
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91487 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lions' Suh suspended two games for Thanksgiving stomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
those guys have been using modern training techniques and eating differently too. My argument isn't that you take a fully trained modern athlete and transport him back...my argument is if you take that modern athlete and give him no modern training, he isn't the same bigger faster guy. Works both ways.
I still feel that athletes today are naturally stronger and faster and have more size though. And again, when you're having a much "larger" competition pool to stand out as one of the best against, you're naturally going to be a superior athlete or player in a sport because the standard is higher to be amongst the best.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011   #62
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I still feel that athletes today are naturally stronger and faster and have more size though. And again, when you're having a much "larger" competition pool to stand out as one of the best against, you're naturally going to be a superior athlete or player in a sport because the standard is higher to be amongst the best.
With proper nutrition and progressive resistance training I can take a 270 pounder and turn him into a 300 pound monster going from HS to the Pros. All those 260-270 pound linemen 40 years ago would be the same 300 pound guys you see today.

You ever see a modern day 300lb+ man walk away from the game today? Unless they get fat, they all shrink down to 250 pound men without all that extra training. Just look at Nate Newton and Chester McGlockton (RIP)

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011   #63
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
those guys have been using modern training techniques and eating differently too. My argument isn't that you take a fully trained modern athlete and transport him back...my argument is if you take that modern athlete and give him no modern training, he isn't the same bigger faster guy. Works both ways.
Here's an example of your point from back in the day. Ed "Too Tall" Jones was good enough to be picked #1 by the Cowboys. Played real well for a few years, won a SB. Then quit and boxed (where he knocked out a future world champion in the 1st round - can't remember which one) and then returned to football. He was a notably better player when he came back (frankly should be in the HoF) due to the more sophistic/intense training he received in boxing. And nobody will convince me he wasn't athletic enough to play today.
Old 12-01-2011   #64
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91487 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Here's an example of your point from back in the day. Ed "Too Tall" Jones was good enough to be picked #1 by the Cowboys. Played real well for a few years, won a SB. Then quit and boxed (where he knocked out a future world champion in the 1st round - can't remember which one) and then returned to football. He was a notably better player when he came back (frankly should be in the HoF) due to the more sophistic/intense training he received in boxing. And nobody will convince me he wasn't athletic enough to play today.
Slow your roll there Cak. I never suggested that there weren't freakishly athletic guys back in the day. There have been from every era of course. My point is that there are a lot more today than there were back then. I agree about Ed Too Tall Jones being one of them and a being a guy that could play today at a very high level, but there are more guys like him today than back than, and it's not just because of eating habits of nutrition and training methods. Genetics have continued to evolve in humans in my opinion.
Old 12-01-2011   #65
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
With proper nutrition and progressive resistance training I can take a 270 pounder and turn him into a 300 pound monster going from HS to the Pros. All those 260-270 pound linemen 40 years ago would be the same 300 pound guys you see today.

You ever see a modern day 300lb+ man walk away from the game today? Unless they get fat, they all shrink down to 250 pound men without all that extra training. Just look at Nate Newton and Chester McGlockton (RIP)

Well, I don't think you could just post those examples and use them as the measuring stick. I've also seen a ton of guys stop playing their sports and get a lot bigger by far. A guy who is getting a lot smaller is obviously changing whatever fitness measures he is doing dramatically or he is not doing anything at all and is simply losing all of his muscle and size because of it. Everyone's body reacts differently when they stop training full time in their fitness regimens. Some people get really fat and blow up everywhere in their body size, some people lose bulky muscle really fast and thin out a lot like myself, and some people may just gain a lot of fat around their stomach and chest area while the rest of their body stays the same. Genetics play a part in that too.
Old 12-01-2011   #66
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217165 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Genetics have continued to evolve in humans in my opinion.
Genetics in humans don't evolve in humans over the course of 50 years, or even 100 years.
Old 12-01-2011   #67
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, I don't think you could just post those examples and use them as the measuring stick. I've also seen a ton of guys stop playing their sports and get a lot bigger by far. A guy who is getting a lot smaller is obviously changing whatever fitness measures he is doing dramatically or he is not doing anything at all and is simply losing all of his muscle and size because of it. Everyone's body reacts differently when they stop training full time in their fitness regimens. Some people get really fat and blow up everywhere in their body size, some people lose bulky muscle really fast and thin out a lot like myself, and some people may just gain a lot of fat around their stomach and chest area while the rest of their body stays the same. Genetics play a part in that too.
no, they are getting fatter, not "bigger"...well, bigger is fatter too, but not in this context (we are talking muscle mass). Its just impossible to keep the extra muscle mass when you stop working out. Muscles are inherently lazy and will only be as big as you push them outside of your natural set point. I think eriadoc has it spot on concerning genetics in the post above me.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011   #68
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

RIP Chester!
Old 12-01-2011   #69
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Slow your roll there Cak. I never suggested that there weren't freakishly athletic guys back in the day. There have been from every era of course. My point is that there are a lot more today than there were back then. I agree about Ed Too Tall Jones being one of them and a being a guy that could play today at a very high level, but there are more guys like him today than back than, and it's not just because of eating habits of nutrition and training methods. Genetics have continued to evolve in humans in my opinion.
My main point wasn't about athleticism as there is no real way to prove that. The bigger point was Jones was someone from back then who went to an improved over ordinary NFL at the time workout method and came back a superior player. It goes to Vinny's point that if you warped a bunch of those guys to now and used all the current training techniques, etc. they wouldn't look or perform like they did back then. Can you imagine Bob Lilly with modern training?
Old 12-01-2011   #70
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 261571 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Anthony Munoz on how the players in his time would handle Suh's kind of play on the field,

"Well, we had two plays we used: one called strike and one called the accordion. You can use your imagination as to what those were."
Old 12-03-2011   #71
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 261571 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.kptv.com/story/16180041/n...land-car-crash

NFL player Suh involved in Portland car crash

Posted: Dec 03, 2011 11:46 AM CST
Updated: Dec 03, 2011 3:52 PM CST
By FOX 12 Staff - email

PORTLAND, OR (KPTV) -
Portland police are investigating a car crash involving NFL player Ndamukong Suh.

Officers responded to reports of a single-car crash at Southwest Third Street and Burnside Street just after 1 a.m. Saturday morning.

Police say 24-year-old Suh lost control of his 1970s Chevrolet Coupe and hit a curb and a drinking fountain before hitting a tree.

Suh and his two passengers were not hurt in the crash.

Officers say Suh was polite and cooperative. He was not under the influence of drugs or alcohol, police said.
Old 12-05-2011   #72
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice sign at the Saints / Lions game Sunday night.

"Life ain't easy for a boy named Suh"

Old 12-05-2011   #73
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3846 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, he's not dirty. He just makes highlight reels every single week for doing something that's considered dirty by the masses. He's not a little boy to where he can be called immature. He's a grown man that chooses to play more dirty than we've seen anyone play in years.
The new Haynesworth
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #74
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingBull View Post
The new Haynesworth
not his contract year

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011   #75
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Passengers dispute Suh’s account to police

Reuters
Two passengers in Ndamukong Suh’s car at the time of his crash last week dispute the account that Suh gave to police.

The police have amended the police report to reflect the new passenger testimony. Suh told police he lost control of his car while trying to pass a taxicab and no one was hurt. (Suh’s car hit a tree.)

One passenger says there was no cab, one of them was hurt, and Suh was just trying to show off.

“When the light turned green, he floored it,” one woman passenger told KGW 8 in Portland. “I just remember going so fast and it was violent and just getting thrown around like rag dolls.”

That woman says she suffered a black eye and a busted lip which required stitches. Suh told police no one needed to go to the hospital, but the woman said she asked Suh to call for an ambulance and he refused, telling her she was fine.

She eventually left the scene and called her husband, who took her to the hospital. Another passenger that called 9-1-1 verified that Suh seemed to be trying to “show off” with his car.

It’s hard to know what to make of this story. Perhaps there are grounds for a civil suit, but police don’t seem too bothered about it.

“At no point did anyone there tell an officer that he [Suh] was driving out of control,” said Sgt. Pete Simpson said. “The crash doesn’t meet our threshold for investigation which is vulnerable road user, DUI, or serious trauma injury.”
Old 12-06-2011   #76
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Newton had weight loss surgery tho. Always pimping his doctor on commercials here in DFW.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #77
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Lions' Suh accused of sideswiping car, berating driver
Oct 11, 2012

Quote:
Vines was on his way into work about 6:20 a.m. Thursday when he and other drivers merged on the Rotunda ramp along the southbound Southfield. He said the driver behind him in a black Range Rover sped around him and sideswiped his car. They stopped at the light. Vines got out of his Escort and the other driver, whose taillights were damaged, started yelling.
Vines said the guy left the scene of the accident. He called 911 and watched the man drive into the Lions' practice facility. Dearborn Police told Vines to meet them there, but when he arrived, he said the driver gave him another earful.

"That's when he said, 'I advise you to leave, now.' And I said, 'I'm not going anywhere. I talked to the police.' (He said), 'I don't care what they said. You need to get out of here.' And then he said, 'I'm advising you to leave, now.'"

Vines said he didn't even realize the other driver was none other than Ndamukong Suh...
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #78
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 209602 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Quote:
Vines was on his way into work about 6:20 a.m. Thursday when he and other drivers merged on the Rotunda ramp along the southbound Southfield. He said the driver behind him in a black Range Rover sped around him and sideswiped his car. They stopped at the light. Vines got out of his Escort and the other driver, whose taillights were damaged, started yelling.
Lions' Suh accused of sideswiping car, berating driver

Oct 11, 2012
Do people still drive Escorts?

Old 10-12-2012   #79
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Do people still drive Escorts?

Don't get me wrong, I agree to an extent, but the article doesn't state what model it was, could be an RS Cossie in which case you're talking about one of the greatest cars ever made...

A good example would go for about £20k over here, which for a 20 year old car is quite something.

I've seen Suh in interviews with UK tv promoting the international series and he always seems like a decent bloke. Always struck me as one of those dual personality type sportsmen who's a thug on the field and soft as anything off.

Surprised to read such reports of him tbh.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012   #80
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Anger management issues? I think we're seeing a pattern.
Quote:
FOX 2 in Detroit is reporting that Suh was ticketed in Lathrup Village, Michigan, on November 15 for failure to use due care and caution. That is at least Suh’s fourth traffic incident within the past year: A month earlier Suh and another driver both said they were sideswiped by each other. In March, Suh was ticketed for driving 91 miles per hour in a 55 mph zone. A year ago, while Suh was serving his suspension for his infamous Thanksgiving stomp of Packers offensive lineman Evan Dietrich-Smith, he was ticketed for an accident in which he drove into a tree in Portland, Oregon.

Suh’s bad driving goes back to his college days at Nebraska: He was cited for negligent driving in college when he sideswiped several parked cars in an incident that he said was caused by swerving to avoid hitting an animal.
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/20...e-under-review
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read