Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-01-2011   #21
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is Kubiak free to let it all hang out from here on out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Why are we going to "back" into the play-offs?

If we thought we had a chance to get into the play-offs & do something with Leinart, why can't we do something with Yates? At least, I think, let him play a game he's prepared for before we say he can't do it.

We weren't asking Leinart to set the league on fire. We felt if he could just "manage" the game & not try to prove he belongs in the league, we've got a shot at something special.

From what we've seen so far, I see no reason to believe we can't go forward with that "game manager" approach, or that Yates can't be that manager.
I think the organization IS taking the approach of CAN. I hope so.
The fans are taking the approach of HOPE.

I don't think Big Lou is discounting the notion of trying to do something with Yates. I think he's just being realistic with the premonition of a less than desirable outcome. Something I find hard to do, as a fan with as much koolaid in my gut as the next fan.

Let's face it... Yate's has EVERYTHING going for him. Best D in this team's history. One of the better run games in the league. The only thing he doesn't have going for him is Experience in the NFL. Does that matter? While there are exceptions, such as Big Ben, or Joe Flacco, or even this year with Tebow and Cam Newton, it's a stretch to think a late round rookie, who's not a Heisman winner would come into a starting role during the last(brutal strech) 5 games of the season and have favorable odds of success... it's asking a lot. To Yate's good fortune... I don't see he has much choice. He's obviously going to be asked to. This organization would be a fool to do anything but play QB vs. designated handoff man. If they back into the playoffs, it won't be the run, run, pass, punt approach, it will be simply because Yates, despite his best, couldn't get it done.

To the OP, Kubes free to let it all hang out? Sure, but why would he? He didn't let it all hang out at any point this season. He's surely not going to shift to that with Yates now.

Kube's will likely keep the same formula he's had all season and do exactly as Vinny just eluded to.. play the match ups. I'll be surprised if Yates doesn't throw the ball at least 25 times against Atlanta. And TK.. if he does open with a BOMB, I hope its on Dunta :-)
Old 12-01-2011   #22
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedr View Post
I was thinking that same thing- fake a handoff to Foster, hopefully the safety will bite, and let Andre run past the corner. Even if it's incomplete, or intercepted,it will at least give the Falcons' D something else to think about.
That depends. If it was close.... yeah, they'll have to respect it.

If there was no chance in hell, they'll let you have it.
Old 12-01-2011   #23
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by _superMario90_ View Post
I believe we should play as if Yates were Schaub. We know he's not, but he's a QB. If Yates was not worthy of throwing the ball when the play calls for it, then no sense carrying a 2nd/3rd string roster slot.

To ignore the Yates factor, for a second, the smart play is still to take what the Defense will give. For Atlanta, with a stout run D and a VERY suspect 2ndary, IMHO, that says throw it.

Back to Yates. He's obviously the wild card. No way we want to ask the rookie in his first start to go all "Cam Newton". But, throughout the season, Schaub has not been asked to make 40 throws either. In Atlanta, if there's ever a game to ask Yates to step in and throw the pigskin around, this is the week.

Ultimately, the Texans' offense has been a balanced, play-action team all year and have had success. Keep that pot boiling if possible.
We can't play like Yates is Schaub. He doesn't know the playbook or have the offense at his fingertips like Schaub does.

We've got to identify those parts of the playbook that Yates does feel comfortably with AND make him comfortable with the parts of the playbook he's going to need to win this next game. Kubiak has to reduce his playcalling to only those things that Yates knows how to do and knows how to do well.

If he starts calling plays that Yates only kinda knows a little bit, he's going to fail.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011   #24
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

Let's face it... Yate's has EVERYTHING going for him. Best D in this team's history. One of the better run games in the league. The only thing he doesn't have going for him is Experience in the NFL. Does that matter? While there are exceptions, such as Big Ben, or Joe Flacco, or even this year with Tebow and Cam Newton, it's a stretch to think a late round rookie, who's not a Heisman winner would come into a starting role during the last(brutal strech) 5 games of the season and have favorable odds of success... it's asking a lot.

I remember when we were 5-1 & saying we had the tough part of the schedule behind us. Now we're facing a "brutal" schedule?

Cam Newton isn't winning, Ben Rothlisburger didn't "lead" the Stealers as a rookie, & Joe Flacco hasn't done anything.

This is a team game & we've still got a lot of what makes this a great team, not a good team. We're missing the QB who's been in this system for a long time, I understand that. There are somethings that we are not going to be able to do with the rook, I get that.

But we aren't asking him to lead us to the play-offs. We're not even asking him to "steer" the car. All he has to do, is not derail the train.

Matt Leinart played an ultra conservative game last Sunday & we still scored 17 points on the 3rd rank defense in the league in less than a half. I think Yates can at least play to that level.
Old 12-01-2011   #25
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I remember when we were 5-1 & saying we had the tough part of the schedule behind us. Now we're facing a "brutal" schedule?
Brutal, meaning the last stretch of the season is tougher, not in terms of strength of schedule. Teams in general with over half of a season under their belt, typically play better than they did at the beginning. By now, even the bad teams will play better.

Quote:
Cam Newton isn't winning, Ben Rothlisburger didn't "lead" the Stealers as a rookie, & Joe Flacco hasn't done anything.
That sort of bolsters my point. These were highly drafted rookies. Ben and Joe had success based on having great teams to "not lead", however those two were on teams that would impose their will on the line and run it down anyone's throat practically at will. We are a good run team, but in a different way. Cam is a winner, despite his Defense getting in the way, record be darned. The conflict to me is, they were all day 1 type guys. While it's ok to hope and wish similar success to TJ, it's a taller order. I'm just being sceptically objective.

Quote:
But we aren't asking him to lead us to the play-offs. We're not even asking him to "steer" the car. All he has to do, is not derail the train.
By nature of the position, he HAS to at least steer. Otherwise it'll be more of a run, run, run, punt plan. errrrr Backing into the Playoffs.

Quote:
Matt Leinart played an ultra conservative game last Sunday & we still scored 17 points on the 3rd rank defense in the league in less than a half. I think Yates can at least play to that level.
Based on what little we've seen, I 'think' he can too. Just trying to keep my thoughts/hopes in check with reality.
Old 12-01-2011   #26
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Brutal, meaning the last stretch of the season is tougher, not in terms of strength of schedule. Teams in general with over half of a season under their belt, typically play better than they did at the beginning. By now, even the bad teams will play better.

That sort of bolsters my point. These were highly drafted rookies. Ben and Joe had success based on having great teams to "not lead", however those two were on teams that would impose their will on the line and run it down anyone's throat practically at will. We are a good run team, but in a different way. Cam is a winner, despite his Defense getting in the way, record be darned. The conflict to me is, they were all day 1 type guys. While it's ok to hope and wish similar success to TJ, it's a taller order. I'm just being sceptically objective.

By nature of the position, he HAS to at least steer. Otherwise it'll be more of a run, run, run, punt plan. errrrr Backing into the Playoffs.

Based on what little we've seen, I 'think' he can too. Just trying to keep my thoughts/hopes in check with reality.
Oh, c'mon. Let it all hang out!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read