Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2011   #281
Texcore
Hardcore Texan

Rep Power: 797 Texcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: TJ Yates

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I stop it right there.

- Ben Roethlisberger
- Eli Manning

Schaub fits in with these guys, in my estimation. What Roethlisberger and Manning have had that Schaub hasn't up to this point is a defense and a running game. Schaub is like the Marino in these guys (I'm not saying he's as good as Marino) -- Schaub doesn't have the Super Bowls but he's better from a statistical standpoint. He's done things passing yardage wise these guys haven't matched.

- Philip Rivers
I think he's horribly over-rated and without the right pieces around him (like Sproles and LT back in the day and a great defense), he's starting to show his weaknesses.

Flacco, Cutler, Stafford, Ryan... these guys are in this group as well. Good players but they've still got to "do it." Schaub is above them because he's been able to do statistically more with less.

The thing is... all of these guys are good enough to win Super Bowls, in my estimation. They just need the right pieces around them and some luck.
Stop it. Schaub is not in Ben or Eli's tier of QBs, nor is he Marino. Stop it.
Texcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011   #282
Air Canada
Veteran

Rep Power: 791 Air Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I think that's a good sign. It means he's concentrating on precision passes and couldn't give #*(^ what his left hand looks like. If he starts letting his tongue hang out too (or something else weird like that), we got a baller on our hands.

He's officially a baller.
Air Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011   #283
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Canada View Post

He's officially a baller.
The Jordan of playfaking....... I like it already!
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011   #284
Air Canada
Veteran

Rep Power: 791 Air Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcore View Post
Wrong... He's definitely in the tier with Eli....

Now Ben.... Nope.
Old 12-01-2011   #285
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamamyers View Post
Top 8 for Schaub?
Name me 20+ teams that would trade their qb for Schaub.
I can't think of more than 6-8 maybe.
This is where it always gets to be a beauty contest and which guy you like versus which guy someone else likes. But... for me...

These are the definites:
1. Redskins
2. Vikings
3. Buccaneers
4. Cardinals
5. Seahawks
6. Bills
7. Dolphins
8. Jets
9. Browns
10. Titans
11. Jaguars
12. Broncos
13. Rams
14. Chiefs

These are arguable, either in the definte or in the even. Not better than Schaub, though.
1. Niners -- Alex Smith has done well this year but I still don't like him much.
2. Eagles -- I don't think Reid would but I prefer Schaub to Vick or VY.

And that's it.

So about 16. Only 4 teams have a QB who's clearly better than Schaub... as far as I'm concerned. Then you have about 11 teams whose QBs are in the same ballpark and it becomes a beauty contest on those about who you like better and how you judge.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011   #286
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Which part of "I'm not saying he's Marino" didn't you understand?

And Ben and Eli are good QBs. They're not great. They only reason some people consider them elite is because their teams won Super Bowls.
Old 12-01-2011   #287
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Thats all fine and dandy for those folks playing fantasy football, but what was our record in those two years? 9-7, 6-10. In my time I've seen prolific numbers from QBs with poor defenses that translate to winning seasons because they put the team on their back and carry them. Schaub hasn't/doesn't do that. Sorry to say. I wish like hell he has, but I'm just being a realist.
And, yet, Marino wasn't able to do it.

Only Elite QBs can win despite their defense and they can't even do it all the time. And no one is putting Schaub into that category because, as you said, he hasn't been able to do that.

But that doesn't mean Schaub isn't a very, very good QB.

You put the right team around him and he can win several Super Bowls.

Quote:
Just as many that have ended in Schaub throwing an INT or not even producing a drive. And when a game comes down to your special teams having to win the game, that just says the offense didn't do enough during the game to put it away.

I've seen enough of Schaub to know he is a good game manager of the offense. But that will only get you so far. To get where we want to go, we need more of a playmaker at the position. Plain and simple.
That's just BS. A lot of mediocre QBs have "won" SBs. Terry Bradshaw is a great example. He was not that good a player but he still "won" 4 Super Bowls. Trent Dilfer won a SB. The ULTIMATE Game Manager, Bob Griese, won 2 SBs. Phil Simms, Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypien, Doug Williams, Brad Johnson... all those guys won Super Bowls and they are not elite QBs.
Old 12-01-2011   #288
Air Canada
Veteran

YATES controlling our FATE.
Old 12-01-2011   #289
Air Canada
Veteran

Old 12-01-2011   #290
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Been watching some of the youtube stuff of Yates at North Carolina and like what I see.

Seems to do a good job of throwing the ball to spots that his receivers and backs can run onto the ball in stride.

He looks athletic coming out on bootlegs and when he needs to scramble.

Seems to be able move in the pocket while looking up field and avoid the rush.

Velocity seems ok.

Seems to know when to get rid of the ball rather than take the sack.

I liked what I saw, but I am no expert and these were highlight reels.

It was enough to make me want to see what he can play like come game day.

Old 12-01-2011   #291
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
Anybody else think Yates should change his number? I don't like that he's 13. :-\
I'm just glad it's not another 8
Old 12-01-2011   #292
Txn_in_FL
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 33753 Txn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_FL is a quality contributor and well respected

Gonna ride Lucky 13 all the way to the playoffs...

Old 12-01-2011   #293
Texcore
Hardcore Texan

Rep Power: 797 Texcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Canada View Post
Wrong... He's definitely in the tier with Eli....

Now Ben.... Nope.
Only some of our fans would ever say that, God bless us. But the rest of the NFL, league, and other fans would just laugh at that statement.

I dare you to prove it to me, objectively, how he is in Eli's tier of Qbs.
Old 12-01-2011   #294
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314353 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Only some of our fans would ever say that, God bless us. But the rest of the NFL, league, and other fans would just laugh at that statement.

I dare you to prove it to me, objectively, how he is in Eli's tier of Qbs.
Because Eli doesn't belong in the top tier. When he becomes more consistent, maybe he will. No way does Eli belong in the same group as Brady, Big Ben, and Brees.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011   #295
Texcore
Hardcore Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Which part of "I'm not saying he's Marino" didn't you understand?

And Ben and Eli are good QBs. They're not great. They only reason some people consider them elite is because their teams won Super Bowls.
Of course I saw that part, but why even mention Schaub in the same breath of Dan Marino. That is trying to say something, without trying to say something.

Ben and Eli have better skill sets than Schaub. Have proven they are more clutch than Schaub. Can get their team into the playoffs. Can win in the playoffs. Oh, and can win a super bowl.

This is a show me what you have done league. And Schaub hasn't shown us anything. He is not clutch. As good as our defense has been playing, it is not the pulverizing defense that leads a team to a SB on its own, like the 85 Bears, 2000 Ravens, or the 2002 Bucs. Other than those years, in this era of football, you need a QB that makes plays on his own, and can lift the team up. Bottom line. If you think otherwise, you are in for serious disappointment. Take the battle red colored glasses off friend, and realize the obvious.

And all of those "mediocare" QBs that you mentioned have one thing in common. They played in a different era of football. A run first era, with less rules for the defense to abide by. Sure, Schaub could of won in those eras with those teams being a game manager. I believe that. But its a different game now.
Old 12-01-2011   #296
Texcore
Hardcore Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Because Eli doesn't belong in the top tier. When he becomes more consistent, maybe he will. No way does Eli belong in the same group as Brady, Big Ben, and Brees.
And no way does Schaub belong in Eli's tier. No way whatsoever.
Old 12-01-2011   #297
Texcore
Hardcore Texan

This is the way I objectively see it....And in no particular order, just by class IMO

HOFers/Elite
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning(if he comes back healthy obviously)

The Elite
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Ben Roethlisberger

Top Tier/non-elite
Eli Manning
Tony Romo
Phillip Rivers
Mike Vick
Matt Ryan

2nd Tier
Jay Cutler
Matt Stafford
Matt Schaub
Joe Flacco
Mark Sanchez.
...and I don't care to rank the rest.

I would take every QB listed above Schaub in a heart beat. This is just a hypothetical, but I would also trade Shaub in a heartbeat for a young talent such as Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, and Sam Bradford. With our talent, thse guys could really shine on our team as they develop into top QBs I would also take Vince Young over Schaub.
Old 12-01-2011   #298
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is the way I objectively see it....And in no particular order, just by class IMO

HOFers/Elite
Tom Brady

The Elite
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Ben Roethlisberger

Top Tier/non-elite
Eli Manning
Tony Romo
Phillip Rivers
Mike Vick
Matt Ryan

2nd Tier
Jay Cutler
Matt Stafford
Matt Schaub
Joe Flacco
Mark Sanchez.

I would take every QB listed above Schaub in a heart beat. This is just a hypothetical, but I would also trade Shaub in a heartbeat for a young talent such as Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, and Sam Bradford. With our talent, thse guys could really shine on our team as they develop into top QBs I would also take Vince Young over Schaub.
I was vibing with you all the way til the VY thing....

No way am I taking VY over Schaub unless they are running a 40.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011   #299
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Quote:
And no way does Schaub belong in Eli's tier. No way whatsoever.
Quote:

HOFers/Elite
Tom Brady

The Elite
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Ben Roethlisberger

Top Tier/non-elite
Eli Manning
Tony Romo
Phillip Rivers
Mike Vick
Matt Ryan

2nd Tier
Jay Cutler
Matt Stafford
Matt Schaub
Joe Flacco
Mark Sanchez.

I like the way you have this structured, how you have them grouped and I mostly agree with you but a) I think you have Vick too high (His game is starting to fray around the edges thanks to injuries) and b). I think that it's important to note that guys hit streaks where they go up or down between your "top-tier/non elite" and "2nd tier" groups.

Cutler, Stafford, and Schaub have all had stretches where they played like they belonged in the top tier/non-elite group and just about every one of the guys you listed as top tier/non-elite has gone through streaks where they were clearly playing like 2nd tier QB's. Rivers right now is in a hell of a funk for instance.

What makes those two guys in your HOF group special is that they almost never have those games and right at this moment Brees and Rodgers are playing like they belong in the HOF group. The only question is whether it lasts weeks, or years.

We rank them all the time using a myriad of different criteria but they don't stay in one group or the other always. Guys are on the way up and on the way down all the time.
Old 12-01-2011   #300
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I was vibing with you all the way til the VY thing....

No way am I taking VY over Schaub unless they are running a 40.
Yeah, the Vince Young thing is kind of weird. There's no way on earth I'd take that head case over pretty much anybody on this list.

Last edited by Hervoyel; 12-01-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read