Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2011   #221
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: TJ Yates

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Still looks like your chances of getting a "Starting QB" are better with 1st rounders.
If there's one thing that all of us should of learned by now is that most big hyped college QBs can't transition to the nfl. If you look at all of the nfls current starters you will see more than half were not high draft picks. And let's be honest a guy like tebow will not continue to have success.

I just think yates deserves a shot to be our future QB we all see that he has the tools, and the confidence seems to be there as well. Just saying don't write him off cause he's a fifth rounder.
Old 11-30-2011   #222
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 25097 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck
Perhaps a better way to look at it is to take a look at the current top 10 QBs by Rating this season:

1. Aaron Rodgers -- 1st round
2. Tom Brady -- 6th round
3. Drew Brees -- 2nd round
4. Tony Romo -- UDFA
5. Matt Schaub -- 3rd round
6. Eli Manning -- 1st round
7. Ben Roethlisberger -- 1st round
8. Alex Smith -- 1st round
9. Matthew Stafford -- 1st round
10. Matt Ryan -- 1st round

In the past 12 years, there have been 32 QBs taken in the first round. 6 of them are highly ranked right now.

Drafting a QB in the first round is a crap shoot.

Still looks like your chances of getting a "Starting QB" are better with 1st rounders.

Out of the 32 drafted in the first round - where are the other 26 not listed?
Old 11-30-2011   #223
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy View Post
Kind of a silly question; Does TJ get any kind of increase in pay going from 3rd to 1st team?
Not unless there were special incentives built into his contract.......which I would doubt would be the case in a 5th rounder that was not expected to be anything but a 3rd string QB.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #224
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Not unless there were special incentives built into his contract.......which I would doubt would be the case in a 5th rounder that was not expected to be anything but a 3rd string QB.
Right, and I don't think that any draft pick has incentives either.
Unless the new CBA change things, that is!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #225
Texcore
Hardcore Texan

Rep Power: 796 Texcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respected

I tell you all, I'm excited about this kid and what he can do. Its going to be fun watching him take this team into the playoffs. I just have a good feeling about him and hope he can be our guy for the next 10 years.

I was never sold on "checkdown" Leinart, and Matt Shaub just has never proven to me that he has "IT".

TEAM YATES
Texcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #226
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcore View Post
I tell you all, I'm excited about this kid and what he can do. Its going to be fun watching him take this team into the playoffs. I just have a good feeling about him and hope he can be our guy for the next 10 years.

I was never sold on "checkdown" Leinart, and Matt Shaub just has never proven to me that he has "IT".

TEAM YATES
To see a rookie with very little practice time lead his team in the two-minute
drill without flinching was a thing of beauty. I can't wait to see what he looks
like with a week of preparation.
Old 11-30-2011   #227
Texcore
Hardcore Texan

Rep Power: 796 Texcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respectedTexcore is a quality contributor and well respected

Exactly. He showed me way more than Leinart showed me, after Leinart had 2 weeks to prepare.
Old 11-30-2011   #228
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12794 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Schaub is a good QB, in the ranks of the "very solid" but not the "elite", but I think he's pretty much "maxed out" -- pretty much hit his ceiling. I think what we've seen is the best we can realistically expect. We don't know Yates' ceiling yet -- could be lower, could be higher, and while I'm nervous about finding out here and now, I'm also anxious and even a little eager to find out. I did like what I saw at the end of the first half.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #229
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 88409 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Joe Giglio from the Charlotte Observer who covered TJ Yates in college at UNC joined Mike Meltser and they discussed TJ Yates and what to expect out of the rookie quarterback.
This guy was on Mike Meltser's show this morning, he had a lot of good things to say about Yates. It sure as hell made me feel a little bit better, lol.

Here is the audio.

BTW I'm all in with the kid, I even changed my avatar for the first time in years, lol.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #230
False Start
On # 69

Rep Power: 88409 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is an interview with him from last years combine. I like this guy, he has a great attitude towards life, and sounds very competitive.

TJ Yates - 2011 NFL Combine - Eastbay

Old 11-30-2011   #231
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm gonna shed a tear if he overthrows someone downfield on sunday
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #232
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 260728 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
BTW I'm all in with the kid, I even changed my avatar for the first time in years, lol.
It looks the same as it always had......
Old 11-30-2011   #233
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 283140 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It looks the same as it always had......
Butthead is wearing at #13 jersey.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #234
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 260728 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Butthead is wearing at #13 jersey.
What was it before?
Old 11-30-2011   #235
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grams View Post
Out of the 32 drafted in the first round - where are the other 26 not listed?
That was in the original post I was responding to. But here's the #1 list again, going back to 2000 (and it's only 31, I miscounted):

1. Cam Newton
2. Jake Locker
3. Blaine Gabbert
4. Christan Ponder

5. Sam Bradford
6. Tim Tebow

7. Matthew Stafford
8. Mark Sanchez
9. Josh Freeman

10. Matt Ryan
11. Joe Flacco

12. JaMarcus Russell
13. Brady Quinn

14. Vince Young
15. Matt Leinart
16. Jay Cutler

17. Alex Smith
18. Aaron Rodgers
19. Jason Campbell

20. Eli Manning
21. Philip Rivers
22. Ben Roethlisberger
23. J.P. Losman

24. Carson Palmer
25. Byron Leftwich
26. Kyle Boller
27. Rex Grossman

28. David Carr
29. Joey Harrington

30. Michael Vick

31. Chad Pennington
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #236
Texcore
Hardcore Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Schaub is a good QB, in the ranks of the "very solid" but not the "elite", but I think he's pretty much "maxed out" -- pretty much hit his ceiling. I think what we've seen is the best we can realistically expect. We don't know Yates' ceiling yet -- could be lower, could be higher, and while I'm nervous about finding out here and now, I'm also anxious and even a little eager to find out. I did like what I saw at the end of the first half.
Shaub is good, at bus driving. He has never been the guy that can carry this franchise on this shoulders and beat teams on his own the way elite and other top tier QBs have/do. How many possible game winning drives have we seen end on a Schaub INT....way too many. That is why I hope Yates finds success, because I am done with Matt Schaub.

But you are right, we don't know what Yates is. But I'm excited to find out.
Old 11-30-2011   #237
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Shaub is good, at bus driving. He has never been the guy that can carry this franchise on this shoulders and beat teams on his own the way elite and other top tier QBs have/do. How many possible game winning drives have we seen end on a Schaub INT....way too many. That is why I hope Yates finds success, because I am done with Matt Schaub.

But you are right, we don't know what Yates is. But I'm excited to find out.
I think Yates has the potential to he better than Schaub, but Schaub has led this team in game winning drives before. Let's not forget that. He has shown that he can be clutch.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #238
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 283140 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
I think Yates has the potential to he better than Schaub, but Schaub has led this team in game winning drives before. Let's not forget that. He has shown that he can be clutch.
Exactly. While we all want Yates to do something now that we finally are getting to the playoffs, to throw the QB that helped get us there under the bus is a tad premature.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #239
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I have no doubt that we will miss Schaub, especially if they make the playoffs.

However, since that's not going to happen, I'm happily hoping that Yates is The Man in my koolaide inebriated state. At this point, I just refuse to get negative until they do something stupid like lose the next 5 games.

*knocks on wood*
Old 11-30-2011   #240
False Start
On # 69

Quote:
What was it before?
It was Schaub, I put it on there the day we traded for him.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read