Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2011   #161
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: TJ Yates

Here is the scouting report on T.J. Yates from PFW's 2011 Draft Preview
http://www.profootballweekly.com/pro.../t-j-yates-13/
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #162
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post

Signed,
Needs-No-Introduction
The problem is... that's not Dan Marino's RELEASE point.

Marino usually released from high above his head. Even if at some point he held the ball down.

What scares me with TJ Yates is that it looks to me -- and I could be wrong about this -- but it looks to me like he releases from right beside his head.

The good part of that though is that he looks like he's got a quick release and some zip on the ball.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #163
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 28959 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
The problem is... that's not Dan Marino's RELEASE point.

Marino usually released from high above his head. Even if at some point he held the ball down.

What scares me with TJ Yates is that it looks to me -- and I could be wrong about this -- but it looks to me like he releases from right beside his head.

The good part of that though is that he looks like he's got a quick release and some zip on the ball.
Right. Which was part of my point. One can snap a photo of a QB at any point in his throwing motion and you can see what looks like he's throwing from his ear hole, like the Marino photo.

But scope Yates below as he relases the ball.

Regardless, the solid attributes you listed above are nice. Those balls had a comet's tail on them. But also, a low release or not (which I don't think he has), that double pump on the pass to OD (though it was incomplete), shows the presence of mind he has with a lineman jumping in front of his face.

One can only hope we don't see too many batted balls.

Edit: BTW, what's with the tea-sippin' pinky thing Yates has going on with his non-throwing hand in both photos? Maybe we are truly screwed!
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #164
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
face.

Batted balls are never good at any point and seeing them be batted can sometimes be equally as painful.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #165
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Right. Which was part of my point. One can snap a photo of a QB at any point in his throwing motion and you can see what looks like he's throwing from his ear hole, like the Marino photo.

Regardless, the solid attributes you listed above are nice. Those balls had a comet's tail on them. But also, a low release or not (which I don't think he has), that double pump on the pass to OD (though it was incomplete), shows the presence of mind he has with a lineman jumping in front of his face.

Edit: BTW, what's with the tea-sippin' pinky thing Yates has going on with his non-throwing hand in both photos? Maybe we are truly screwed!
I think that's a good sign. It means he's concentrating on precision passes and couldn't give #*(^ what his left hand looks like. If he starts letting his tongue hang out too (or something else weird like that), we got a baller on our hands.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #166
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Also, that release isn't Marino's, but it's pretty descent/good.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #167
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

In the extremely limited snaps that I've seen Yates take, it appeared to me that his release point against the Jags was higher then it was at UNC. I think that it is possible that he altered his throwing motion a bit between his college days and the Jags game. Maybe the Texans' staff has had him working on it.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #168
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

One thing I would like to see Yates do (and I know many of you will say for him not to since we are down to him only) is keep drives alive if a running lane is there. I think his mobility is something that teams haven't prepared for and I would like to see him show that in our play action game.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #169
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6653 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
One thing I would like to see Yates do (and I know many of you will say for him not to since we are down to him only) is keep drives alive if a running lane is there. I think his mobility is something that teams haven't prepared for and I would like to see him show that in our play action game.
I'm all for doing once there's another QB on the sidelines who knows the playbook and has practiced the offense enough to be ready to run it. This week? Probably not so much running, IMO, but I would definitely like to see more play action.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #170
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Actually, that picture makes me feel a lot better. From what I was seeing in his college footage, it looked like he was releasing a lot lower than that. And when I ran through the game last night, it looked like he was higher but still very low with his release. But that picture you've posted looks like his release is nice and relatively high.

So I must have just been imagining things.
Old 11-29-2011   #171
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
IIRC, Kubes said the same thing in his press conference. He's all for Yates using his athleticism to get out of the pocket and run.

He just didn't want him doing it last week when there was no one backing him up except for Owen Daniels.
Old 11-29-2011   #172
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
IIRC, Kubes said the same thing in his press conference. He's all for Yates using his athleticism to get out of the pocket and run.

He just didn't want him doing it last week when there was no one backing him up except for Owen Daniels.
It will be interesting to see how accurate Yates is on the run?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #173
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 228095 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I'm all for doing once there's another QB on the sidelines who knows the playbook and has practiced the offense enough to be ready to run it. This week? Probably not so much running, IMO, but I would definitely like to see more play action.
Aren't we the demanding one now? Knows the playbook AND has practiced enough to be able to run it?

You'll take your washed up, confused old geezer and like it sonny!
Old 11-29-2011   #174
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 228095 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Did you watch the NC-LSU link from 2010? Rolls out in the end zone just like Schaub and hits a WR in stride at the 50 for a 97 yard TD.

I'm not worried.
Old 11-29-2011   #175
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Did you watch the NC-LSU link from 2010? Rolls out in the end zone just like Schaub and hits a WR in stride at the 50 for a 97 yard TD.

I'm not worried.
Yeah. That play gave me goose bumps.
Old 11-29-2011   #176
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm not worried.
If he can catch Andre and Jacoby in stride on those bootlegs (and not have them have to stop and wait for the ball), then I'll probably be doing backflips. Play gave me goosebumps as well.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #177
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm not worried.
I have been feeling better about Yates after initially being pissed that the Texans lost another qb for the season. I really think Yates is the better option from here on out. Leinert did nothing sunday that looked like he had indeed changed. They do need to find the absolute best backup qb they can though because this year seems to be unpredictable as far as injuries.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #178
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
And what games would those be?
I just want to watch to have a feel of how you define innacuracy.

I'm not even defending any QB, but sometimes we don't know whether the receiver runs a good route (or even a correct one).
He was playing with 3 sophomores and a Jr at receiver (in 2010).

Other times, it can be hard to see the pressure.
There are other issues that escape me for the moment.
I watched Virginia Tech in 2008 which is a game where he was pretty decent. Made a couple of errant throws, but overall he was good.

And I watched Virginia Tech last year. He threw 4 ints in this game, but some of those weren't his fault so I'm not holding him up to his stats.

I also watched a youtube clip on him from last year that shows all of his throws and runs against Clemson.

I've already explained what I saw in regards to his inaccuracy. His footwork wasn't sound at all times and it led to some errant throws (mostly low) which again is normal for a lot of Quarterbacks. I'm confident Kubiak's work has gotten him squared away.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #179
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 20076 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I doubt the run game improves much against Atlanta, but the passing might.
To start, Atlanta will probably put 8 or 9 in the box to shut down our run attack - daring Kubiak and Yates to prove the inexperienced QB can find the open receiver and take advantage of the run-prevent defense. I agree we can't play conservatively and expect to run effectively or win by being conservative. We need to throw the ball downfield from the get-go. But I think that OD should be a primary target as well as AJ.

If we can move the ball by the pass, this will open up the run lanes.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #180
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
What I like is that Yates looked good at UNC on roll out to either side.

Update: Yates has a stronger arm than Schaub and Leinart out of college. He still has the better arm now.

On one play in the game against Roc Carmichael's VTech (the LOS was the 22), Yates took the ball, faked a hand off to the RB (in straight I), faked a reverse to a receiver, and turned around at his 14-yd line (front foot planted with his weight leaning forward - good mechanic).
He bounced once then took a hop step with his right foot forward, planted his left foot at the 16 yd line and launched the throw.

This is the 2-man route that I talked about several times with the Roc in place of Kareem Jackson at LCB.
One safety came down to play the run; the other cut off the crosser.
The on-side receiver had inside position on Carmichael (and slightly ahead); ie. very open.
The off-side CB (RCB) took the post and would intercept the ball off a skinny post.
(Carmichael sucks the same as Jackson! )

The RCB high-pointed the ball around the VT 27-28yd line (chest-high would be around the 25-26yd line) for the interception.

That's a 52-53 yd throw from the LOS (or 58-59 yards from where Yates set up shop.).
The fact that Yates was roughly 7 yards from the LOS (his base) instead of the normal 9 yards or so in a 7-step drop can be countered with the fact that he set up for the throw quicker.

And even if you add a couple yards (or rather, subtract a couple of yards), it was still a 50-51 yd throw, which is at least 3 more yards than I've seen Schaub or Leinart threw it.

So there you have it, Yates has a little better arm and can throw better on the run (on either side) than both Schaub and Leinart.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read