Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2011   #141
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: TJ Yates

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Watch the LSU-NC highlight video posted on page 6 of this thread. Particularly, watch the plays at the 2:00 mark and the 3:00 mark, because they're essentially plays that the Texans live and die with. And then tell me when you've seen Schaub lay one out there that perfectly in stride that far out.

Yates' arm is fine. The arm strength issues in college revolved around throwing off balance and off his back foot, because the protection was horrid for most of his college career.

A vote for Yates getting a fair chance in lieu of the vets that will be vulturing.

Quote:
“Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.”
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #142
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I was impressed by how he came into the game cold and took us down the field.
As was I. He came in and played with balls, unlike Leinart who seemed to be playing scared. I like his swagger. Yates may be the first good rookie QB we've ever had, aside from the great Quinton Porter.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #143
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post

Side note: Anyone with any question about what type of offense Yates ran at NC just needs to YouTube it, starting with the one referenced above. The plays are there, and you'll see a lot of similarities.
Yep, I've seen him hand off the ball like that before.

Yep, saw him fumble a snap like that before.

Damn... I hope I don't ever see that one..

Yep, seen defense save his ass like that.....

J/k, that was a nice video. His arm looks fine to me, even when throwing off his back foot, the ball was smoking, which usually says strong arm to me. I know you teach them not to do it, but every body does it sometime, can't always have a nice clean pocket.
Old 11-28-2011   #144
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Yates to Nicks= Yates to Johnson?

Sorry, I couldn't help but think that watching this Hakeem Nicks video. Yates looked good here mainly because they're all completions, but I'm hoping he'll find AJ more than I think Leinart probably was going to. I really do hope we try to take a chance down the field early on Sunday. Check out the video.

http://youtu.be/u_aMQ2R7dYQ
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #145
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I had watched more than a dozen of Yates' games at UNC.
They run a lot of the same thing the Texans have been doing.

That was the reason I said I understand why we drafted him, the way Wade drafted many of his defensive guys, the way the Texans drafted many of their O-linemen.

Here's straight from the horse' mouth:

During a conference call with the media, Yates talked about his familiarity with the Texans offense.

“When we were going through this past offseason in Carolina, we watched a ton of Texans film from a few years ago because we were running a lot of the same offensive schemes and stuff," said Yates. "Our offenses are extremely similar. It’s fun to watch that stuff on film and see yourself as well as what Matt Schaub does on the field. I feel like I’m pretty prepared going into this offense.”

When asked to expand on the similarities, Yates said: “It’s kind of hard to put it in generic terms, but just the route patterns and the passing schemes and everything. It’s very similar. We took a lot of what the Texans did last year and a couple years ago and implemented (it) into our offense and kind of made it our own way. We based a lot (of our offense on) the Texans.” (houstontexans.com)

There's also familiarity from the scouting combine.

"At the combine I talked to (Texans quarterbacks coach) Knapp and he was the guy that worked me out on the field. It was good. I had a lot of great conversations with him and it was just a perfect fit.”

Texans head coach Gary Kubiak spoke about Yates in his post-draft media session.

"This kid had a nice four-year career and he played his best as a senior, said Kubiak. "He also overcame adversity at North Carolina. I just like everything he stands for. He is basically running our offense there at North Carolina. He walks in and he’s going to know what we’re doing. He reminds me of Matt (Schaub) a great deal. He’s got a great play clock in his head. I just think we’re very fortunate. Rick (Smith) and I were sitting there talking in round five and couldn’t believe he was still on the board. This kid has a chance to be a ‘one’ in this league if he keeps moving forward. It’s a great pick for us.”

http://www.examiner.com/houston-texa...mment=32644366
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #146
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't necessarily worry about Yates familiarity in the offense. I think he'll handle that well. The thing I worry about with Yates is his inconsistency with accuracy at times when I watched him at UNC. Going back now and re-watching some of those games I see them as correctable issues. Is Kubiak going to be able to correct them soon enough? I'm not sure.

He seemed to struggle with his progressions at UNC. Not necessarily recognizing them, but mainly transitioning and his footwork would sometimes look funky and lead to some bad throws especially under pressure. When he was just asked to get to the top of his drop and deliver he looks VERY good. This is a big reason I think we should either run the ball effectively on 1st down or throw on 1st down even more than we did with Schaub. Putting this kid in 3rd and long situations will not be good at all (Just like any young QB). I heard a lot of talk about his accuracy and inconsistency and I had the same critiques, but now I see it was mainly a result of his footwork. Almost kind of similar to the issues Cam Newton had trying to go through his progressions at Auburn. Hopefully Kubiak has been effective in getting him out of some of those bad habits.
Old 11-28-2011   #147
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I don't necessarily worry about Yates familiarity in the offense. I think he'll handle that well. The thing I worry about with Yates is his inconsistency with accuracy at times when I watched him at UNC. Going back now and re-watching some of those games I see them as correctable issues. Is Kubiak going to be able to correct them soon enough? I'm not sure.

He seemed to struggle with his progressions at UNC. Not necessarily recognizing them, but mainly transitioning and his footwork would sometimes look funky and lead to some bad throws especially under pressure. When he was just asked to get to the top of his drop and deliver he looks VERY good. This is a big reason I think we should either run the ball effectively on 1st down or throw on 1st down even more than we did with Schaub. Putting this kid in 3rd and long situations will not be good at all (Just like any young QB). I heard a lot of talk about his accuracy and inconsistency and I had the same critiques, but now I see it was mainly a result of his footwork. Almost kind of similar to the issues Cam Newton had trying to go through his progressions at Auburn. Hopefully Kubiak has been effective in getting him out of some of those bad habits.
A lot of his problems were a lack of protection and a pocket that consistently broke down too quickly .... Its easy to have good footwork when you have no heat on but put a LB or DE in a guys face and that all changes.

He made a lot of plays with his feet at NC ....

As for the game plan , I dont want to see them run on first down early in the game because I think teams will lean twards defending the run thinking that the will play conservative.
Go out there and make them respect the deep ball from the get go , even if its an incompletion they have it in their minds that Yates will let it fly from that point on.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #148
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
A lot of his problems were a lack of protection and a pocket that consistently broke down too quickly .... Its easy to have good footwork when you have no heat on but put a LB or DE in a guys face and that all changes.

He made a lot of plays with his feet at NC ....

As for the game plan , I dont want to see them run on first down early in the game because I think teams will lean twards defending the run thinking that the will play conservative.
Go out there and make them respect the deep ball from the get go , even if its an incompletion they have it in their minds that Yates will let it fly from that point on.
I saw more than a few plays when his protection was fairly solid and at times seemed to just rush the throw. Because his footwork wasn't sound the ball would be thrown at receivers feet. He possesses the qualities you want in a good QB and like I said I think those things are correctable. We'll have to start throwing the ball down the field at some point, just to keep the safeties out of the box. Kubiak is no fool and I trust him so I will agree that fans will be surprised to see Yates throw it often in the 1st QTR and then let Foster and Tate go to work.
Old 11-28-2011   #149
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

I will say this about Yates...... His pocket awareness is a million times better than Blaine Gabbert. I told everyone who would listen to me that I didn't think Gabbert would be a good NFL QB because of that very issue. That ran that "punt" shotgun formation at Missouri and as soon as Gabbert "thought" he saw pressure he would run 10 yards backwards and get flushed to the right. He basically took his team out of the play, and I told people that it something that would hurt him.

He doesn't do that now, but his lack of pocket awareness is coming back to bite him now. The kid just doesn't have it at this point. When I watch Yates old games that's not an issue I see with him. And to be honest its rare for a young QB to have pocket awareness as good as Yates does. Clean up his footwork a tad and I think we actually may have something here.
Old 11-28-2011   #150
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 59860 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I saw more than a few plays when his protection was fairly solid and at times seemed to just rush the throw. Because his footwork wasn't sound the ball would be thrown at receivers feet. He possesses the qualities you want in a good QB and like I said I think those things are correctable. We'll have to start throwing the ball down the field at some point, just to keep the safeties out of the box. Kubiak is no fool and I trust him so I will agree that fans will be surprised to see Yates throw it often in the 1st QTR and then let Foster and Tate go to work.
Right. But certainly you're not talking about Yates' footwork in yesterday's game? His footwork yesterday was miles above his footwork at UNC and certainly better than what we saw of Yates in the pre-season...which leads me to believe that working with coach Knapp has been paying off for him.

Collapsing pocket? No problem yesterday, though some of his throws were tentative resulting in incompletions.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #151
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Right. But certainly you're not talking about Yates' footwork in yesterday's game? His footwork yesterday was miles above his footwork at UNC and certainly better than what we saw of Yates in the pre-season...which leads me to believe that working with coach Knapp has been paying off for him.

Collapsing pocket? No problem yesterday, though some of his throws were tentative resulting in incompletions.
Absolutely not..... His footwork yesterday was terrific. His incompletions were either from good plays from the defense and yeah you could tell he was trying to hard to "not" make a mistake on some throws. I expect that to change with a full week of gameplanning. To be honest I haven't gone back to watch him in the pre-season to see how his footwork was. I happened to have a couple of UNC games recorded for personal reasons when he played and watched them. That's what I'm basing it off of.

His footwork wasn't terrible in the games that I watch. Pretty much what he did at times is what a lot of QB's do. His brain got ahead of his body, and he seemed to rush throws before his feet were set. It happens to even the best QB's in the game at times. So I'm not overly concerned after going back and re-watching him. If he gets in over his head and flustered then it can become an issue again, but if Kubiak has him prepared then hopefully we won't see this becoming a re-accuring issue for him. He'll get a lot of throws out of the pocket which will be a big plus.
Old 11-29-2011   #152
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4297 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

Warren Moon seems to be on the Yates bandwagon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5S_4PzFisg
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #153
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If 67% completion rate and 8.1 yard per ATTEMPT is not accurate then it must be really amazing when Yates finally become more accurate with better footwork.
(On top of that, among his 9 INTs, many of them weren't bad passes.)

I swear these "draft experts" just like to find fault, sometimes they make too much out of things.

I couldn't believe it when Jaws said that Newton only had about 30 "NFL" throws at Auburn. That was laziness on his part.
Others didn't even know that Newton had some snaps under Center.
The "1 read" card was the dumbest thing I've heard.
I've seen Cam made all 5 reads on a few occasions (obviously 4 reads and 3 reads were also in the card.)

In the college and draft forum, I had compared Newton with Gabbert, and concluded that Newton should be the #1 player drafted and Gabbert not worthy of first round status.
Old 11-29-2011   #154
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
If 67% completion rate and 8.1 yard per ATTEMPT is not accurate then it must be really amazing when Yates finally become more accurate with better footwork.
(On top of that, among his 9 INTs, many of them weren't bad passes.)

I swear these "draft experts" just like to find fault, sometimes they make too much out of things.

I couldn't believe it when Jaws said that Newton only had about 30 "NFL" throws at Auburn. That was laziness on his part.
Others didn't even know that Newton had some snaps under Center.
The "1 read" card was the dumbest thing I've heard.
I've seen Cam made all 5 reads on a few occasions (obviously 4 reads and 3 reads were also in the card.)

In the college and draft forum, I had compared Newton with Gabbert, and concluded that Newton should be the #1 player drafted and Gabbert not worthy of first round status.
Inconsistency with accuracy is what I believe I initially said. He went through some extremely hot and cold moments which is normal. But in some games he was inaccurate. There's no hiding or defending it. Leinart completion percentage was great in our last game so let's not start making a debate by stating it. I said he was inconsistent with his accuracy which is the truth. I also said it was correctable.
Old 11-29-2011   #155
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Inconsistency with accuracy is what I believe I initially said. He went through some extremely hot and cold moments which is normal. But in some games he was inaccurate. There's no hiding or defending it. Leinart completion percentage was great in our last game so let's not start making a debate by stating it. I said he was inconsistent with his accuracy which is the truth. I also said it was correctable.
And what games would those be?
I just want to watch to have a feel of how you define innacuracy.

I'm not even defending any QB, but sometimes we don't know whether the receiver runs a good route (or even a correct one).
He was playing with 3 sophomores and a Jr at receiver (in 2010).

Other times, it can be hard to see the pressure.
There are other issues that escape me for the moment.
Old 11-29-2011   #156
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

The one thing that kinda bothers me from that Yates LSU highlight reel is that it looks like he's got a very, very low launch point. It looks like he's letting the ball go from his ear instead of from over his head. He's got some zip on the ball but if he's going to be launching it from there, he's going to have to be careful about finding good passing lanes or he's going to get a lot of balls batted down.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #157
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Leinart completion percentage was great in our last game so let's not start making a debate by stating it.
Not difficult to be accurate when each attempt is yielding about 4 yards.

There was a starting quarterback for the Texans a few years ago who also had a very high completion percentage....
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #158
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
The one thing that kinda bothers me from that Yates LSU highlight reel is that it looks like he's got a very, very low launch point. It looks like he's letting the ball go from his ear instead of from over his head. He's got some zip on the ball but if he's going to be launching it from there, he's going to have to be careful about finding good passing lanes or he's going to get a lot of balls batted down.

Last edited by Rey; 11-29-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #159
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I think that's more about pocket awareness than anything i.e. knowing when a 6'5'' DLmen is right in front of you as you pass. Yates seems to have a good grip on that as a rookie in limited situations. At least he throws it over the top, Leinart really goes over and Yates does as well, I guess I never realized how side-armed Schaub gets sometimes.

I said it before and I'll say it again. I would prepare him like he's John Elway. First play of the game bomb it to Andre. Shock and awe lol....If they're going to keep a safety or two close to the line and turn up the heat on blitzes I really hope Kubiak lets loose the dogs instead of more turtles.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #160
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 59860 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

Signed,
Needs-No-Introduction
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read