Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-28-2011   #121
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Connor Barwin: better than mario? Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Why would Mario sign that? You offer no bonus? Up total and bring a $25m upfront bonus & you might get him to agree.
Who said I didn't offer him a bonus? That's his cap hit. I could have given him $40 million dollars to take that deal.

Cap hit & bonus...... cap hit & salary.... cap hit & value of contract, it's all very fluid. That's my point. I can give him a $40 million bonus, sign him to 8 years & work it so that his cap hit is $5 million a year, or I could have the majority of the bonus accrue in the first three years ($13.3 M) with a $13.3 Million Salary over the next 3 years. & pay the rest off in roster bonuses & what not & the final two years of the contract. I could straight up cut him before year 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8 with no dead money.
Old 11-28-2011   #122
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Who said I didn't offer him a bonus? That's his cap hit. I could have given him $40 million dollars to take that deal.

Cap hit & bonus...... cap hit & salary.... cap hit & value of contract, it's all very fluid. That's my point. I can give him a $40 million bonus, sign him to 8 years & work it so that his cap hit is $5 million a year, or I could have the majority of the bonus accrue in the first three years ($13.3 M) with a $13.3 Million Salary over the next 3 years. & pay the rest off in roster bonuses & what not & the final two years of the contract. I could straight up cut him before year 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8 with no dead money.
Cap your ****. We donlt have the cap space to sign MW without cutting many more impact players from the roster. MW will NOT be a Texan in 2012. As long as he goes out of division and, hopefully conference, we'll be OK.
DocBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #123
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Cap your ****. We donlt have the cap space to sign MW without cutting many more impact players from the roster. MW will NOT be a Texan in 2012. As long as he goes out of division and, hopefully conference, we'll be OK.
If we sign Mario to a longer deal, we can get his number down.... $9 million is probably the most reasonable. It's less than his cap number this year & less than the franchise tag next year.

We make cap room by signing Mario to a long term deal.

Does anyone think Tennessee would have liked to have kept Jason Babin now? Take their 21 sacks & add 8 sacks, they're respectable with 29 sacks right now. Add another 3 or 4 sacks from the rest of the team for the opportunities Babin gives them.... that's 32-33 sacks. They're in the top of the league & their defense is actually helping them win games.

Put Mario on this team & we could be over 40 as a team right now. We'd have a better chance to beat the best teams in the league with that pass rush. I can't stop thinking about Barwin, Reed, & Mario on the field together. Won't happen all the time, I know. But every now & then, I'm sure Wade would throw them all in there.

It's insane (or at least I can't seem to wrap my feeble mind around the idea) to not believe our pass rush would be even better with Mario Williams.
Old 11-28-2011   #124
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If we sign Mario to a longer deal, we can get his number down.... $9 million is probably the most reasonable. It's less than his cap number this year & less than the franchise tag next year.

We make cap room by signing Mario to a long term deal.
True, but MW is a UFA and under no restrictions to sign with us. With the display he put on before his injury, he'll be the pick of the FA litter. Couch ot how you want to, MW will be wearing a diffeent uniform in 2012. That's the chance we took by not extending him(wisely) this past offseason.
Old 11-28-2011   #125
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Healthy or not, MW has no obligation to sign anything at all with the Texans, short of a franchise tag. Did I misunderstand you and you're talking about this year's preseason/pre trade deadline?
My trade would be in offseason. We can work a deal with Mario and then seek a trade. I doubt if he'd complain about going to NE. We can float to Pats we are willing to trade if they are interested, then tag him until deal resolved.
Old 11-28-2011   #126
Dishman
Miss Ya Blue

Rep Power: 9556 Dishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Charles Johnson got a deal this off-season for 6yrs and $72 million. I would imagine Mario would look for that, at minimum.
I've never heard of the guy which either tells you I don't know much about football or Charles Johnson doesn't get the run that MW does and probably is a better fit for that contract than Johnson. I'm not advocating that they break the bank on the guy, but make him a fair offer. I'll hope that Barwin and Reed also don't hit a slump/rut, can stay healthy or can adapt when teams figure them out. I think the team needs all the help it can get. 11 games of good defense doesn't have me sold on the defense overall.

Either way I have very little pull with Rick Smith, so I'll continue to cheer for Mario and see what unfolds.
Dishman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #127
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
My trade would be in offseason. We can work a deal with Mario and then seek a trade. I doubt if he'd complain about going to NE. We can float to Pats we are willing to trade if they are interested, then tag him until deal resolved.
MW will be a FA in the offseason. You can't trade a player you don't have the rights to. This is why I statred a trade MW thread in the offseason. We were starting a new season, after which MW would be a UFA, and we hadn't even offered him an extension. Do you really think MW isn't insulted by that? Ain't no way he plays for the Texans next year unless he's franchised.
Old 11-28-2011   #128
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
True, but MW is a UFA and under no restrictions to sign with us. With the display he put on before his injury, he'll be the pick of the FA litter. Couch ot how you want to, MW will be wearing a diffeent uniform in 2012. That's the chance we took by not extending him(wisely) this past offseason.
True, but not the point. All this "we can't afford Mario" or this "he's not worth $17 M cap hit" is the point. His cap hit this season has nothing to do with his cap hit next season if the Texans manage to work a deal out with him.
Old 11-28-2011   #129
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We can franchise him for $13.8m + 20%. *Note in t he new CBA we can use $1.5m in second year towards a vet player. That is a lot but Mario is smart enough to want a long term deal with a huge bonus up front. $25 m up front bonus + first year is much better than $16m.
Old 11-28-2011   #130
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
MW will be a FA in the offseason. You can't trade a player you don't have the rights to. This is why I statred a trade MW thread in the offseason. We were starting a new season, after which MW would be a UFA, and we hadn't even offered him an extension. Do you really think MW isn't insulted by that? Ain't no way he plays for the Texans next year unless he's franchised.
As I state we tag him and then consider trade. This has been doone by teams before. Mario did not utter one word about not getting an extension.
Old 11-28-2011   #131
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
As I state we tag him and then consider trade. This has been doone by teams before. Mario did not utter one word about not getting an extension.
I think franchising Mario is a safe gamble, someone will come to the table for him.

Unlike Dunta, which pretty much backfired on us. No one wanted him & we were left holding the bag.
Old 11-28-2011   #132
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtexas View Post
By the time RG3 hits draft day he will be a top 5 pick.
You dont think three #1's and a 3rd would be enough to get into the top 5?

It's a much better deal than the Falcons gave up to move up to 6-7 to get Julio Jones in last yrs draft.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read