Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2011   #121
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: TJ Yates

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Were any of his passing plays from under center?
He threw several quick slants (2-3 step drops) and a TE seam pass after taking the snap from under center.

...which caused me to wonder why we didn't do that a bit yesterday.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #122
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 69312 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

I would love to see TJ succeed. One, it would be great for the Texans, and two its my Mother's maiden name, so I would LOVE to have his jersey.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #123
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
I would love to see TJ succeed. One, it would be great for the Texans, and two its my Mother's maiden name, so I would LOVE to have his jersey.
buy it anyway, could be a good luck charm

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #124
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 23727 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

I think TJ will surprise a lot of you guys.

I thought he did surprisingly well at the end of the second quarter - seemed to light up the offense. But then in the 3rd Kubiack went all fetal on the offense.

Just like Leinart, you need to give him a chance after a week's worth of practice with the first string guys.
Old 11-28-2011   #125
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
buy it anyway, could be a good luck charm
He's #13

Old 11-28-2011   #126
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Why do I get this feeling that Brett Favre is not entirely out of the picture.

Kubiak said he won't rule anybody out and he won't confirm anyone.

To me, Sage was Option A and it seems Miami won't release Sage.

Option B probably just got put on the table.
Old 11-28-2011   #127
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Why do I get this feeling that Brett Favre is not entirely out of the picture.

Kubiak said he won't rule anybody out and he won't confirm anyone.

To me, Sage was Option A and it seems Miami won't release Sage.

Option B probably just got put on the table.
I read a quote from Rick Smith today , cant recall where or I'd link it but ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Smith on Favre
I dont want to bring the circus to town

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #128
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6653 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would tend to agree with the rumblings I've heard at this point -- Yates is the guy for now and will be unless he proves he can't get it done, and that a veteran presence as a QB would be more for "insurance" than for stepping in regardless. I mean, if it took a veteran a couple weeks to run this offense but TJ's playing well, would we want to bench him just because the veteran finally knows the offense well enough to run it in a real NFL game? I don't think I would.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #129
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I would tend to agree with the rumblings I've heard at this point -- Yates is the guy for now and will be unless he proves he can't get it done, and that a veteran presence as a QB would be more for "insurance" than for stepping in regardless. I mean, if it took a veteran a couple weeks to run this offense but TJ's playing well, would we want to bench him just because the veteran finally knows the offense well enough to run it in a real NFL game? I don't think I would.
I was impressed by how he came into the game cold and took us down the field. The Jags defense is a hell of a defense and 3rd overall and he sliced them up like he was Tom Brady.

Does anyone else remember the throw to AJ in the middle of 4 Jags defenders?

This dudes got an arm.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #130
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I was impressed by how he came into the game cold and took us down the field. The Jags defense is a hell of a defense and 3rd overall and he sliced them up like he was Tom Brady.

Does anyone else remember the throw to AJ in the middle of 4 Jags defenders?

This dudes got an arm.
That was a good throw into a very tight window.

I cant complain about Yates performance with limited reps this week due to getting Lienart up to speed and coming in cold off the bench with the game still in doubt. He didnt generate a ton of offense but he didnt make any mistakes that cost the team field position or points. I think thats about all you can ask for under those circumstances.

I read a quote earlier today from Eric Winston saying that the team played it safe offensively in the second half to ensure than Yates didnt get injured too.

OD was the backup to Yates at QB and he took snaps from under center after halftime just to be ready.

Old 11-28-2011   #131
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 69312 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

I cant complain about Yates performance with limited reps this week due to getting Lienart up to speed and coming in cold off the bench with the game still in doubt. He didnt generate a ton of offense but he didnt make any mistakes that cost the team field position or points. I think thats about all you can ask for under those circumstances.

I read a quote earlier today from Eric Winston saying that the team played it safe offensively in the second half to ensure than Yates didnt get injured too.

OD was the backup to Yates at QB and he took snaps from under center after halftime just to be ready.
Only the Texans...

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #132
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

He looks like he's got a stronger arm than Leinart/Schaub, and we keep hearing he's the most athletic of the 3. Downside is obviously he's a rook, he can't know the offense half as well as Schaub did, and that's going to really limit our playbook. He's also going to be prone to falling into false looks from opposing D's, and forcing bad throws under pressure.

Our success or failure with Yates is going to be just as much on Kubiak as it will be on Yates. He needs to figure out what Yates does well and find a way to incorporate it into what we already do successfully.

If I were Kubiak, I'd turn him loose in Atlanta. It's not a game we're likely to win, may as well just let Yates show you what he can and can't do, better to learn these things early.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #133
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14250 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
And for what it's worth, Schaub said this morning that TJ Yates came into this offense and learned it quicker than anyone Schaub has every seen, including himself, despite Schaub coming from a similar system at Virginia.
Maybe someone can expand on this for me - but Yates said they ran a similar type offense at NC and would study some of the Texans games because of it. I want to say I heard it on "inside the game" when he was getting by Allen. Did anyone else here this or has this been commented on?
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #134
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1976 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

For starters, I thought Yates played extremely well considering the circumstances. It was really surprising to him throwing during his initial drive, and be pretty accurate, as well as make smart decisions.

BUT

I think it would also be fair to point out that both of Jacksonville's starting corners were out. It's funny because I thought we should have passed a tad more than run yesterday - even with Leinart - because that Jags run d is legit. Everytime we made a move to pass the ball - and I don't mean the check downs to Foster - we were effective.

Also, the knock on Yates was that he had a weak arm coming out of college. His accuracy always seemed to struggle on deep routes, and he would have trouble putting the proper velocity on routes like deep outs and comebacks. I have faith in him though because his strengths lie in the ability to make the proper reads on quick throws. He was known for fitting it in tight windows on short and intermediate routes, which is perfect considering how our offense goes about things.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #135
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

No doubt bro, I think it will be interesting to see Yates this Sunday with a full week taking all the snaps! He had a chance to experience "game speed" against a pretty darn good defense and now will get the reps in practice.

I think he'll be fine...

I posted something that Derrick Ward tweeted earlier today about how the players will have TJ's back.
Old 11-28-2011   #136
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
No doubt bro, I think it will be interesting to see Yates this Sunday with a full week taking all the snaps! He had a chance to experience "game speed" against a pretty darn good defense and now will get the reps in practice.

I think he'll be fine...

I posted something that Derrick Ward tweeted earlier today about how the players will have TJ's back.
I saw that post earlier .... Also noted was during AJ's rehab Yates was working with him extensively. That cant hurt ....

Lots of people were complaining about a wasted draft pick on Yates right after the draft ..... Doesnt look like such a wasted pick now that QB1 & QB2 are sitting in the hot tub together .... Just hope Yates can make them eat a big helping of crow.

Old 11-28-2011   #137
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 31768 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansBull View Post
Maybe someone can expand on this for me - but Yates said they ran a similar type offense at NC and would study some of the Texans games because of it. I want to say I heard it on "inside the game" when he was getting by Allen. Did anyone else here this or has this been commented on?
Listen to this: A podcast with Butch Davis, Yates' coach at UNC, after Yates was drafted by the Texans, before the lockout was lifted. This gives about as much insight as you'd want, coupled with things Schaub and Kubes have said.

http://old.houstontexans.com/news/Po...UTO=Y&EID=1354
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #138
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
The Jags are ranked 19 in sacks (if we can use that as a measure for pass rush) with 23 on the season.

The Falcons are 26th with 20 sacks on the year.

Cincinnati is 12th with 28

Carolina is 23rd with 21

Indianapolis is 29th, with 18

Tennessee is also 23rd with 21

So the Jags have a "better" pass rush than 4 of the 5 teams remaining on our schedule.

By-the-bye, The Texans are 2nd in sacks with 35........

Have we ever had 35 sacks in a season?
Old 11-28-2011   #139
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
By-the-bye, The Texans are 2nd in sacks with 35........

Have we ever had 35 sacks in a season?
Just checked, in 2002, the Texans finished the season with 35 sacks

In 2005 we finished with 37 sacks

2010 we finished with 30 sacks.

We're going to set a franchise sack record.
Old 11-28-2011   #140
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 222419 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdotTexas2Step View Post

Also, the knock on Yates was that he had a weak arm coming out of college.
Watch the LSU-NC highlight video posted on page 6 of this thread. Particularly, watch the plays at the 2:00 mark and the 3:00 mark, because they're essentially plays that the Texans live and die with. And then tell me when you've seen Schaub lay one out there that perfectly in stride that far out.

Yates' arm is fine. The arm strength issues in college revolved around throwing off balance and off his back foot, because the protection was horrid for most of his college career.

Side note: Anyone with any question about what type of offense Yates ran at NC just needs to YouTube it, starting with the one referenced above. The plays are there, and you'll see a lot of similarities.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read