Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-28-2011   #41
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 192752 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So we need two more wins....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'd be thrilled if we hold Atlanta to 17 points.
I think we can. I just checked their schedule and I don't see where they've gone up against as good a defense as we have and came away with a win.

@CHI - L - 30-12
.PHI - W - 35-31
@TB -- L - 16-13
@SEA - W - 30-28
.GB -- L - 25-14
.CAR - W - 31-17
@DET - W - 23-16
@IND - W - 31-7
.NO -- L - 26-23 (OT)
.TEN - W - 23-17
.MIN - W - 24-14
@HOU - ??

Do you see where they've beaten a team with a good, smash-mouth defense. I really don't.

I think we may be able to hold them to 17-20 pts.
Then again, that could be the Koolaid....
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #42
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
I'm just no longer excited to see the Texans make the playoffs. Yates and Clemens are taking this team nowhere. Who wants to see the Texans slaughtered by the likes of the Steelers or Bengals or Jets in a playoff game at home.
We've played the Steelers. They didn't slaughter us. They didn't Slaughter KC (last night) either. I don't think they'll be slaughtering us in the play-offs.

We'll play Cincy in a couple of weeks. I don't think they'll be slaughtering us either. AJ Green & Andy Dalton look good, I ain't gonna lie, but so do Cushing, Watt, Reed, Barwin, Quin, & Jjo.

The Jets. Still not seeing a slaughter, not with what I've seen from that group.

Even with the rook under center, I think we match up well with those three teams.

New England... not so much. Baltimore on the road.... not so much.

But the teams you mentioned, I'd pay to see those games.
Old 11-28-2011   #43
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

Do you see where they've beaten a team with a good, smash-mouth defense. I really don't.

Been drinking that stuff all year..... no reason to stop now.
Old 11-28-2011   #44
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hope you're right. I'd rather see the Bills Wild-Card weekend than any other team.
I dont want to see the Bills anywhere near the playoffs .... I still have nightmares of a backup QB and a 35-3 lead evaporating into a loss.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #45
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 192752 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Been drinking that stuff all year..... no reason to stop now.
Yeah, and I'm actually starting to get used to that Everclear aftertaste....
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #46
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
KJ
We don't really need Mason anymore. 10-3
Foster & Tate. Don't need Ward. 11-3
Caldwell ain't playin' much. 12-3
Garrett Graham? 13-3

First round bye.

Division Playoff: Daniel Manning. Hey, we got by without him alright.

Conference Championship: Jonathon Weeks (just to make it interesting)

Superbowl: TJ Yates. We still win.

DIMENTIA IS FUN, LOL
Still don't get it, you can't sacrifice backups for big wins. Sacrificing the place kicker might get you a first down. Maybe. Like they bring the chains out to measure. If this was the case then why have we been sacrificing Mario and AJ and Foster and.......
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #47
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think we can. I just checked their schedule and I don't see where they've gone up against as good a defense as we have and came away with a win.

@CHI - L - 30-12
.PHI - W - 35-31
@TB -- L - 16-13
@SEA - W - 30-28
.GB -- L - 25-14
.CAR - W - 31-17
@DET - W - 23-16
@IND - W - 31-7
.NO -- L - 26-23 (OT)
.TEN - W - 23-17
.MIN - W - 24-14
@HOU - ??

Two things jump out at me from that list.

They only put up 14 points against GB who's got a horrible pass defense.

They put up 23 in a win on the road against the Lions who have a pretty stout D.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #48
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30851 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Two things jump out at me from that list.

They only put up 14 points against GB who's got a horrible pass defense.

They put up 23 in a win on the road against the Lions who have a pretty stout D.
Detroit's defense hasn't been all that amazing this year. They've only held 3 teams under 20 points all year and just 1 since week 5. That includes giving up 35 points at home against Carolina and 37 points against a good, but not great Bears team. Atlanta can be slowed down easily. The key is forcing them into 3rd and long situations. Their line struggles with edge rushers so I can see Barwin and Reed having big days if we take care of business on the 1st 2 downs. They're 14th in sacks allowed and 19th in QB hits allowed so we can definitely pressure Ryan.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #49
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Nobody wants to see our team slaughtered in the playoffs.

But you are completely fooling yourself if you think this city shares your pessimism about making it to the playoffs. That would be a glorious week (or two if we get a bye) and peace, harmony, and rainbows would be coming out of our butts as we hold hands roasting marshmallows while sining kum-by-yah as a fanbase.

We are still taking 'baby steps'. We need a first-time-to-make-the-playoffs-in-franchise-history moment as a team and fanbase, regardless of how it ultimately pans out. You don't scream at your baby when he takes his first steps because you're upset that he's not doing cross country hurdles.

Relax. Enjoy the moment. We're 8-3, two games ahead in our division. That's a first right there. Appreciate where we're at after where we've been for so long. Savor it.

There will be plenty of time for hand-wringing in the future, so don't lose sight of enjoying the moment as a fan.

I have been waiting for the day to purchase my Texans flag for my car, and drive around proudly in DFW. Don't care if we get slaughtered in the playoffs. I just want to look at my TV guide and see the Houston Texans vs. "___" for a playoff game. It will be sweet.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #50
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Still don't get it, you can't sacrifice backups for big wins. Sacrificing the place kicker might get you a first down. Maybe. Like they bring the chains out to measure. If this was the case then why have we been sacrificing Mario and AJ and Foster and.......
You mean we can't just sacrifice a player of our choice for each win we want?

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011   #51
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
I have been waiting for the day to purchase my Texans flag for my car, and drive around proudly in DFW. Don't care if we get slaughtered in the playoffs. I just want to look at my TV guide and see the Houston Texans vs. "___" for a playoff game. It will be sweet.
Screw that, you should have been flying that flag for 10 years.

Old 11-29-2011   #52
House of Pain
Knee-jerkless

Section: 106
Rep Power: 7055 House of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe I'm watching a different team. We are talking about the Texans right? Even the Bills would slaughter the Texans. The Texans would have lost today if Yates would have started.
Can you at least wait until next week? In all fairness, the guy had no idea he was going to even be playing. He looked good running the 2min offense.

Settle down and quit sounding like a loser.
House of Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #53
House of Pain
Knee-jerkless

Section: 106
Rep Power: 7055 House of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ladies and Gents...

Prepare yourselves for some ug-leeee, old time, Bucc-Ball.
Hold the other guys under 17 pts, score on defense, kick several FGs, and pray that Foster & Tate can find the end zone twice a game.

JJ Watt will play the role of Warren Sapp, Cushing will play the role of Derrick Brooks, and Johnathan Joseph will play the role of Ronde Barber.

Hey, it got them to the playoffs several times and won them a Super Bowl.
I'm pretty sure TJ Yates can play as well as Brad Johnson.
House of Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #54
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by House of Pain View Post
I'm pretty sure TJ Yates can play as well as Brad Johnson.
Is our defense as good as that Tampa Bay team?
Old 11-29-2011   #55
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Where is that damn David Anderson when you need him? Kasey Studdard still around?
Old 11-29-2011   #56
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Our magic number is actually 3. Just about any combination of 3 wins from us or 3 losses from the Titans gives us the division. I'm thinking that the Titans lose the next 2 weeks @Buffalo and at home against the Saints. That would mean the best they could do is go 9-7. If our only win is against the Colts then we would be 5-0 in the division and we would clinch it that game if the Titans lose the next 2, or any 2 games the rest of the year.

Call me crazy, but I think we'll have a decent chance to win next week at home against Atlanta. We haven't had a home game in 3 weeks so Reliant will be rocking. We'll have to find a way to become more balanced, but I'm hoping Kubiak pulls a rabbit out of his hat.
I know he is an unknown to us, but Atlanta has next to ZERO credable game film on TJ. Could be a "VY" shock value wins. He makes that one play you aren't ready for and a great defense and run game steal you a win. Then next year, it falls apart and TJ fakes an injury.
Old 11-29-2011   #57
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Is our defense as good as that Tampa Bay team?
Not sure about that, as that defense had some freaking fire power. However, our offensive line, Running Backs, WR's, and play caller are better, IMO.
Old 11-29-2011   #58
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

3 wins guarantees us playoffs.

2 wins by us would make me feel VERY good about our playoff picture. Tennessee would have to go 5-0 to put us out.

It's a weird feeling having the Koolaid flowing so well this time of year but at the same time feeling all doom and gloom.

Just remember, anything can happen in the playoffs. I hope we can enter with some momentum. Just remember what Seattle did last year after winning their division with a 7-9 record and upsetting the Saints in the 1st round.

This is football baby!
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard

Last edited by Ole Miss Texan; 11-30-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #59
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6653 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe I'm watching a different team. We are talking about the Texans right? Even the Bills would slaughter the Texans. The Texans would have lost today if Yates would have started.
If Yates started, it would have been an earlier coaching decision to do so. If Kubiak knew Yates was his starter all week, TJ would have had a lot more work with the starting offense in the few days prior, he would have had another QB suited up behind him in case he got hurt, and he would have been given a lot more of the playbook to work with. Not as much as Schaub, most likely, but a lot more nevertheless.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read