Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-21-2011   #21
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: So I guess it is safe to say....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Eagles are tied for 4th in the NFL in sacks. Ahead of both the Texans and 49ers.
The only reason why they are ahead of the Texans is because they were on a bye. Texans were #2 heading into the weekend. Also they are only ahead of the Texans by 1 sack (29 to 28).
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #22
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2002114 View Post
The only reason why they are ahead of the Texans is because they were on a bye. Texans were #2 heading into the weekend. Also they are only ahead of the Texans by 1 sack (29 to 28).
Both teams have now played 10 games. It is a fair comparison. The Texans and Eagles both get good pressure on the QB. Still, Joseph looks like a world-beater and Nnambi looks mediocre. I'm sure the Eagles will learn how to use Nnambi more effectively and he'll eventually play much better. That being said, the Texans got the younger guy and the guy that is fitting in perfectly with what they want to do. Oh, and he was cheaper. Way to go, Rick Smith and company!
Old 11-21-2011   #23
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1975 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

On another note, I don't think thanking our Texans front office for the Joseph signing carries much weight.

There's just sinking feeling in my stomach that if Nhamdi chose us over anyone else and stopped the negotiating games he was playing a few days earlier, we would have snatched him up no matter what the cost.

It was more of a fluke really.

Regardless, it played it out well for us.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #24
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 172895 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdotTexas2Step View Post
On another note, I don't think thanking our Texans front office for the Joseph signing carries much weight.

There's just sinking feeling in my stomach that if Nhamdi chose us over anyone else and stopped the negotiating games he was playing a few days earlier, we would have snatched him up no matter what the cost.

I don't think so. If it had been a "no matter the cost" situation, we would have matched or exceeded the Philly offer. No, I think we had a figure in mind and once Nnamdi turned it down we said, "Thank you for stopping by. You can show yourself out."
"Somebody get Joseph on the phone!"
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #25
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Our Front Office didn't wait until the very end for his decision. They made their offer. They waited for a response. When no response was forthcoming, they moved on. Commend them for that.

If Nnamdi had said, "Yes." They would have signed him. He was the highest rated CB on the market. No shame there.

But unlike previous years, they didn't allow themselves to be strung along and used as a bargaining chip to drive up someone else's price. Our FO did a great job in realizing that it was time to move on.

If Nnamdi was in our defense, maybe he'd be having another shutdown year, too. But instead, he got stuck with a rookie defensive coordinator who was an offensive line coach or something silly like that last year.

Our FO did good. They had an all around stellar off season and we've been reaping the benefits of it this year.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #26
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Joseph + Manning > Asomugha

Old 11-21-2011   #27
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1975 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

Okay, perhaps "no matter what the cost" was the wrong choice of words. But like I said, had he and his agent had stopped playing the games they were playing, there's a realistic possibility that we would have signed Nhamdi to a deal higher than the one we gave Joseph.

Regardless, like someone else noted, both would have looked crazy good in Wade's system.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #28
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Now you see, that is exactly what aggravates me about this fricken place. So quick to heave condemnation, but when praise is called for, like in this instance, it's like you just got told you need a root canal.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #29
cland
Veteran

Rep Power: 4611 cland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Joseph + Manning > Asomugha

I couldn't agree more!
cland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #30
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 101383 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

No sir, you would be wrong! We wound up with TWO players for a slight more cost over Aso... The Texans (to their credit) weren't going to fall for the Leigh Bodden BS... They saw what Aso was all about and decided to sign two guys that actually wanted to be here....

The FO can take a lot of heat for a lot of things, but they actually got this one right!!! Props to them.

Fluke my arse!!!
Old 11-21-2011   #31
dinkatoid
Veteran

Rep Power: 628 dinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the comparison is less Aso vs Joseph, and more Phillips vs Castillo.

When you looked at Aso vs Joseph, most people said the same thing: Aso was the better cover corner, but that's all he did in Oakland is play man to man. Joseph on the other hand gave up a bit in coverage, but was more versatile and played the run a little better. I believe pro football focus said the main thing Joseph had over Aso was he was better in press man coverage (at least I think it was PFF).

Phillips was said to value Joseph a bit more due to him being able to play so many ways well vs just 1 way really well. That is definitely showing up in what Wade is doing - being able to mix up coverages.

On the other hand, Castillo decides he wants to make Aso into the 2nd coming of Charles Woodson. The main problem with this is Aso is used to playing man and just not giving catches to the other team, he never really had to play zone or tackle a guy as they hardly caught the ball. For those of you who do not know much about Woodson and the packers D, Capers uses a nickel D the vast majority of the time. He can do this because he can deploy Woodson as a LB, Safety, or CB. Woodson literally floats around the D and goes where he needs to. He is a fantastic tackler.

Basically, here is the short of it:
We obviously made a good choice, because Joseph has been fantastic. He is younger and more versatile, making him more effective for Wade's D and I am sure the front office much prefers to give that much money to a younger guy. However, Aso is not as bad as he looks, he is just being used wrong by being deployed in too much zone and in a "floating" coverage (although they seem to have abandoned this pretty quick). His better games have been when he was deployed in almost exclusively man coverage.
Old 11-21-2011   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
No sir, you would be wrong! We wound up with TWO players for a slight more cost over Aso... The Texans (to their credit) weren't going to fall for the Leigh Bodden BS... They saw what Aso was all about and decided to sign two guys that actually wanted to be here....

The FO can take a lot of heat for a lot of things, but they actually got this one right!!! Props to them.

Fluke my arse!!!
They got it right, because Asomugha said, "No thanks....... "

Really?

Had they never made an attempt to get Aso, if their plan was to get Jjo & Manning/Weddle all along, then you're right.

As it is, it worked out for them. They didn't waste time playing games with Aso. We got two great FAs instead of one..... yes, they did great in those areas.

But it's not like they decided Jjo+Manning > Nnamdi Asomugha.....

Nnamdi made that decision for them.
Old 11-21-2011   #33
ToroTD
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Joseph was the right guy to sign. Best FA signing in the history of the franchise.
Love JonJo, but best free agent signing = Arian?
ToroTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011   #34
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkatoid View Post
For those of you who do not know much about Woodson and the packers D, Capers uses a nickel D the vast majority of the time. He can do this because he can deploy Woodson as a LB, Safety, or CB. Woodson literally floats around the D and goes where he needs to. He is a fantastic tackler.
I think this is the idea Phillips has with Quin.

He's not a great Corner, but he's good enough to play nickel. He's a good tackler.... undersized for a LB, but he play's bigger. & he makes a fine safety.
Old 11-21-2011   #35
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 101383 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
They got it right, because Asomugha said, "No thanks....... "

Really?

Had they never made an attempt to get Aso, if their plan was to get Jjo & Manning/Weddle all along, then you're right.

As it is, it worked out for them. They didn't waste time playing games with Aso. We got two great FAs instead of one..... yes, they did great in those areas.

But it's not like they decided Jjo+Manning > Nnamdi Asomugha.....

Nnamdi made that decision for them.
Not quite my point, but I think the Texans FO learned something form Leigh Bodden.. Make an offer and if they don't accept, move the **** on, quickly!!! The Texans did this and scored JJ & Manning at a better price than Aso was asking!!! See YA!!!
Old 11-21-2011   #36
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroTD View Post
Love JonJo, but best free agent signing = Arian?
Veteran FA vs. UDFA. Basically two different things. This conversation is about veteran FAs.

Although we did make a higher offer to Arian Foster than most UDFAs get.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011   #37
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
goes to show you what an excellent pass rush can do for your CBs...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Eagles are tied for 4th in the NFL in sacks. Ahead of both the Texans and 49ers.

For Aso its more of what they are asking him to do .... He's a press coverage guy and they are asking him to play like P-Burnt ..... lots of soft coverage which gives recievers room to force him into shifting his hips one way or the other then taking advantage of it ..... and he cant recover as his game isnt speed , its being physical.

This is another failure of the Iggles coaching staff ..... You dont ask a guy who's been the best at what he does for 3+ years to all the sudden do something totally different. (hey #80 go line up at QB).

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011   #38
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I don't think so. If it had been a "no matter the cost" situation, we would have matched or exceeded the Philly offer. No, I think we had a figure in mind and once Nnamdi turned it down we said, "Thank you for stopping by. You can show yourself out."
"Somebody get Joseph on the phone!"
This is absolute truth.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read