Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-15-2011   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Three reasons Brian Cushing is going great

Mods,I'll be surprised if this wasn't posted, but I didn't see it
from Nov10th

Quote:
The blood streamed down Brian Cushing's face, red streams matching the red accents on his Houston Texans’ linebacker uniform.

Sunday at Reliant Stadium was the third time this season Cushing needed his face bandaged. The bridge of his nose and his forehead have turned him into gold for game photographers, leaving them jumping to capture a colorful, old-school image.

“I notice a lot of people definitely like it, it’s gotten a lot of attention,” Cushing said. “I’d rather it just heal up right now. I’ve seen the pictures a lot. It definitely makes me look in character as an NFL linebacker. It fits the role.”

“That takes you back,” Houston defensive coordinator Wade Phillips said. “He seems to fit that well. He doesn’t want to bleed, but that’s toughness. I mean the guy’s a football player.”

A bloody face that makes for a great picture is hardly all that’s making Cushing look the part of an intimidating defensive force this season. He’s drawn raves from coaches, teammates, opponents and analysts as a central piece in what currently ranks as the NFL’s top defense.

"Wade Phillips' influence and the 3-4 defense uses more of his athleticism and he can be more physical,” said Derrick Brooks, the former Buccaneers linebacker who’s now general manager of the Tampa Bay Arena Football League team. “I believed that the new defense would have a good impact on him from day one.

“He moves around very similar to the linebackers in Green Bay, Pittsburgh and with the Jets. He also has avoided being the story off the field. This speaks to maturity as a man. And when things are in order off the field, that makes playing much more enjoyable.”

I had long talks with Cushing and Phillips this week. They break down best if we look at the three areas that have made a big difference for Cushing nine games into the season.

1. Phillips
Quote:
It was stuff that came easily and fit with those inherent instincts.

“Defense is recognition,” Phillips said. “Some guys have good eyes, they find the football well, they know when it’s cutting back and when it’s going outside. And he, of course, has the ability to make the plays when he gets there.

“Ten percent of players, maybe, have that. There are different degrees of it… Part of it is that his will to get to the football is superior. He’s a holy terror or a Tasmanian devil or whatever you want to call it. The guy’s going to get to the football. He’s rare in that category, he’s special. He can really get to the football as good as anybody I’ve been around.”

Cushing said he’s honored by that praise, especially considering the source.

“You hear so many things about an inside linebacker in a 3-4 defense just taking on guards all day,” Cushing said. “His defense is way more dynamic than that. I’m really his primary blitzer. There are different jobs for me on every play.”

As many as 15 times a game, Cushing blitzes. That’s a huge number for any linebacker.

2. He’s practicing
Quote:
3. Anger
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...is-going-great
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #2
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Three reasons Brian Cushing is going great

1. Son of a Bum

2. He's crazy.

3. PMS

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #3
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

I was 100 % wrong about this guy. I really wanted Mathews or Oher over Cushing. Glad i was wrong and glad he's a Texan.

Side note: So long as he stays away from illegal substances.

Side note addendum: So long as he doesn't get caught doing illegal substances.
Old 11-16-2011   #4
speedfreek
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 32864 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

#4 - he's not pregnant this year..

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #5
texanway
Rookie

Rep Power: 72 texanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respected

Guys plays every down like he's fighting for his life. Love his work ethic.
texanway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #6
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, he IS the primary reason our defense has been doing well this year.
Old 11-16-2011   #7
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93054 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Overtrainning
2. STARTING DEFENSE!!!!!!!!
3. SEAT AT THE TABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-16-2011   #8
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94101 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
1. Overtrainning
2. STARTING DEFENSE!!!!!!!!
3. SEAT AT THE TABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #9
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44894 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

I just love what this defense has become. We have some absolute beasts on this team now. They are like Spartans. Cushing, Watt, Brooks Reed, Antonio Smith, Barwin and company. I mean these guys are monsters!! You certainly can't call any of those guys "soft".

I've also been pleasantly surprised by Jonathan Joseph's "beast mode". I always thought he was more of a cover corner, but that guy can knock the tar out of people.

I love this team!
Say Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
I've also been pleasantly surprised by Jonathan Joseph's "beast mode". I always thought he was more of a cover corner, but that guy can knock the tar out of people.
Yeah, this has suprised me, too. He's laying the lumber out there, flying around with bad intentions.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

• Talent/Passion/Hardwork
  • System/Coaching/Wade Phillips
  • Texans rule

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011   #12
texanway
Rookie

Rep Power: 72 texanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respected

Brian Cushing > Chuck Norris
texanway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011   #13
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems as though we're not the only ones noticing that Cushmonster is a monster:

Quote:
4. It seems like a weekly thing, but Texans linebacker Brian Cushing deserves more praise this week for the way he played against Tampa Bay. He was all over the field. Cushing got a sack early in the game when he beat right guard Davin Joseph, who is having a good year himself, with a power blitz. He then made some big stops in the run game. He also made a nice tackle in coverage on third down on running back Kregg Lumpkin and later got an interception off a deflection. With all due respect to Patrick Willis, Cushing might be playing the best inside linebacker of anybody in the NFL.
Link

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011   #14
Sway
Veteran

Rep Power: 182 Sway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respected

Huge differnce is he absolutely ISNT on anything now, and he's got to work harder regardless. I fear that the steroids issue will follow him most, of his career, and of course it gives fuel for his opposition no matter how long he plays. That's a big scathe on what the guy's doing for our D squad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I was 100 % wrong about this guy. I really wanted Mathews or Oher over Cushing. Glad i was wrong and glad he's a Texan.

Side note: So long as he stays away from illegal substances.

Side note addendum: So long as he doesn't get caught doing illegal substances.
Sway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011   #15
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sway View Post
Huge differnce is he absolutely ISNT on anything now, and he's got to work harder regardless. I fear that the steroids issue will follow him most, of his career, and of course it gives fuel for his opposition no matter how long he plays. That's a big scathe on what the guy's doing for our D squad.
Or he's found a way to not get caught.

I don't know for sure that he ever was on anything, but he's playing well now and it's awesome to see.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011   #16
TexansBlood
The CUSH!

Section: 140
Rep Power: 8759 TexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respected

Cushing is gonna BEAST on the field regardless of who is his QB!
TexansBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011   #17
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
  • Talent/Passion/Hardwork
  • System/Coaching/Wade Phillips
  • Texans rule
this
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011   #18
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Or he's found a way to not get caught.

I don't know for sure that he ever was on anything, but he's playing well now and it's awesome to see.
I personally believe that most professional athletes are on some form of performance enhancing drug or another. I don't think steroids are necessarily the first choice now like they were a few years ago.

For example, the HCG that Cush tested positive for. Fifteen years ago, that would have been guilt by association because it was used exclusively to restore your normal testosterone production after a cycle. And that's why it's on the banned list. (As well as Clomid, the drug that replaced HCG in most bodybuilder's drug cycle.)

But recently, hCG has been used more and more as a DIET aid. At the time of Cush's positive test, I hadn't heard of it being used that way. But since then, I've heard more and more about it being used that way and that's the way I think Cush was probably using it.

That gets to my point. I think pro-level athletes are getting guys like Victor Conte and Patrick Arnold from the old BALCO scandal to come up with new drugs and drug cocktails to boost their performance that won't trip the tests that are currently being used. Like hGH, which has probably been phased out now that they're coming up with tests for it. Or like the blood doping techniques that bikers use except specific to football.

The problems with injuries could come from not having the off-season workouts but it could also come from guys no longer using hGH because the new CBA allows for hGH testing to start.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011   #19
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I personally believe that most professional athletes are on some form of performance enhancing drug or another. I don't think steroids are necessarily the first choice now like they were a few years ago.

For example, the HCG that Cush tested positive for. Fifteen years ago, that would have been guilt by association because it was used exclusively to restore your normal testosterone production after a cycle. And that's why it's on the banned list. (As well as Clomid, the drug that replaced HCG in most bodybuilder's drug cycle.)

But recently, hCG has been used more and more as a DIET aid. At the time of Cush's positive test, I hadn't heard of it being used that way. But since then, I've heard more and more about it being used that way and that's the way I think Cush was probably using it.

That gets to my point. I think pro-level athletes are getting guys like Victor Conte and Patrick Arnold from the old BALCO scandal to come up with new drugs and drug cocktails to boost their performance that won't trip the tests that are currently being used. Like hGH, which has probably been phased out now that they're coming up with tests for it. Or like the blood doping techniques that bikers use except specific to football.

The problems with injuries could come from not having the off-season workouts but it could also come from guys no longer using hGH because the new CBA allows for hGH testing to start.
I agree. I dont know a lot about supplements and ped's but I know enough about them and have been around guys that use them to know they are always looking to stay a step ahead.

If Cushing is taking something hopefully he stays ahead of the testers and hopefully he's not doing harm to his long term health. That would suck for him.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read