Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-15-2011   #41
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Matt Schaub - Injury Prone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Schaub has not been the picture of health since he's been here.

Compared to most pocket passing QB's he has watched the game from the sidelines or from home quite a bit...

I'm kind of surprised to see so many people angrily disagreeing like it's a completely ridiculous notion to say he is prone to being injured.
I think it has more to do with the timing of the post. At least to me it does. My Wheaties still have piss in them, ok. Ha

Schaub has had his share of health issues during his tenure here, but it's been 40+ games since he last missed a game.

Anywho, I'm ready to move on with 'Hot Tub'. I've talked myself into thinking there won't be a huge drop off.
Old 11-15-2011   #42
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53441 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I think it has more to do with the timing of the post. At least to me it does. My Wheaties still have piss in them, ok. Ha

Schaub has had his share of health issues during his tenure here, but it's been 40+ games since he last missed a game.

Anywho, I'm ready to move on with 'Hot Tub'. I've talked myself into thinking there won't be a huge drop off.
Pretty much the bolded.

I also don't like ragging on players for getting injured. The whole tone of calling them brittle rubs me the wrong way. These guys basically are putting their future health and comfort on the line to entertain us (yes, I know they get paid for it also). Look at Earl Campbell and some of the other vets who have trouble getting around and live their retirement in pain.

Gonna start rambling here, but nobody hates getting hurt more than the players themselves. I do sideline pics at high school games, and had to watch a good friend of my son, who I love like a 2nd son, get a mcl injury early in the playoff game Sat night. The poor kid was just sobbing on the sideline, not in pain, but because he couldn't finish the game.

I just don't understand the need to criticize someone for being injured. But I also have had some significant injuries myself, so can totally sympathize with the player.
Old 11-15-2011   #43
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why does everyone keep bringing Mario into this conversation?

Honest Question...
Playing through injuries doesn't mean he's not getting injured. I think Mario belongs in the discussion as a result of his big toe. Would you prefer that I use Owen Daniels as an example?
Old 11-15-2011   #44
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

What goes into a player being "injury prone"? Some guys get that label because they're are literally made of glass. Chris Chandler broke if one of his own linemen breathed on him too hard in the huddle. Other guys just run into really bad luck.

Schaub I think falls into the latter category and if he has an injury prone stigma about him it's because he's been the victim of some cheap shots and some simple bad luck. This is an injury that could have easily happened to anyone.

The question the Texans have to deal with and find an answer to is "Does it matter in the long run?". Schaub is hurt and we need to know if he'll be back this year, sometime next year, or really "ever". When he does come back (assuming the career ending talk is way premature) will he be able to to play at the same level he has been playing at? Will he have the mobility of Dan Marino without the other HOF tools? Can we even succeed with a QB who isn't as mobile as Schaub is now?

I believe that with very few exceptions the natural state of the NFL is one of constant change. Only a handful of QB's in the league are secure enough to not be upgraded if the opportunity came about or the circumstances dictated it. I think Schaub is secure enough to not have to worry about the Texans actively looking for his replacement but he could find himself in trouble if he's outplayed by someone while recovering from an injury.

I don't believe that guy is on the roster who's going to outplay Schaub "as we know him". I want Leinart to do good, great even but that's mostly wishful thinking on my part. I hope he's matured and worked hard and is ready to step up and knock the worlds socks off but I understand that is unlikely at best.

But if this injury seriously affects his already not so incredible mobility then doesn't that mean we do need to find someone? Will Leinart be a bigger drop-off than a less mobile version of Schaub in our system?

I've said a lot of times that I think Kubiak is always looking for the next QB and it's not as much a knock on Schaub as it is a acceptance of the reality of the game. I wouldn't call Schaub injury prone but he's caught some bad breaks and if this turns out badly then it might shorten his career. The Texans need to be prepared for that possibility. In that case these six games are very much an audition for Leinart and if he falls short maybe even for Yates. I think QB just entered our draft picture if neither of them gets it done.
Old 11-15-2011   #45
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Schaub has not been the picture of health since he's been here.

Compared to most pocket passing QB's he has watched the game from the sidelines or from home quite a bit...

I'm kind of surprised to see so many people angrily disagreeing like it's a completely ridiculous notion to say he is prone to being injured.
I think its fair to say he has been injured more than average, but it only takes a couple of hits to skew your average very quickly. Many injuries are situational and the strongest person on the planet couldn't do sh*t about them. (As an example would you say that Charles Spencer is injury prone?, but he's not playing is he) There are times when someone tougher would withstand an injury others would not, but when 300+ lbs. falls on your foot the way it appears this happened, theres not much anyone can do.
Old 11-15-2011   #46
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I really don't think it's possible for Schaub to be slower or less athletic. I'm still not sure why they can't stick a couple of pins in his foot and send him back out there for the playoffs.
Wow!
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #47
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217165 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I hate the "injury prone" label. It's stupid. Very few football players are prone to injury more than others. Matt Schaub is no more likely to be injured than any other pocket QB. It's not like he has calcium deficiency and brittle bones. It's not even like he has big guys hitting him every play, like many other positions on the field. So stop with the label already. They're all football players and they all get pounded.

That said, it's ridiculous to blast the observation that, in point of fact, Matt Schaub will have missed 16 games in the past 5 seasons by the end of this one.
Old 11-15-2011   #48
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I hate the "injury prone" label. It's stupid. Very few football players are prone to injury more than others.
Agreed. I think the only time it should be used if at all is where a player has had repetitive injuries to the same body part. That and multiple concussions.

It just makes no sense to associate say DeMeco's elbow injury to his prior achilles injury.
Old 11-15-2011   #49
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217165 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Agreed. I think the only time it should be used if at all is where a player has had repetitive injuries to the same body part. That and multiple concussions.

It just makes no sense to associate say DeMeco's elbow injury to his prior achilles injury.
Great illustration. Yao Ming is injury prone. Matt Schaub is not.
Old 11-15-2011   #50
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Matt Schaub - Injury Prone

Quote:
/thread
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #51
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

And people wonder why I spend less and less time persuing the boards.
Old 11-15-2011   #52
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 296584 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hate the "injury prone" label. It's stupid. Very few football players are prone to injury more than others. Matt Schaub is no more likely to be injured than any other pocket QB. It's not like he has calcium deficiency and brittle bones. It's not even like he has big guys hitting him every play, like many other positions on the field. So stop with the label already. They're all football players and they all get pounded.

That said, it's ridiculous to blast the observation that, in point of fact, Matt Schaub will have missed 16 games in the past 5 seasons by the end of this one.
"Injury prone", no.

Prone to putting himself in positions that might increase the chance of injury? Perhaps.

Earlier in his Texans career, he tended to hold on to the ball too long. I remember some of those Haynesworth hits that just confused me why he didn't get rid of the ball like other QBs do.

I think this injury, though, was just a victim of circumstance. Run that play 20 times and 19 of them he's fine.
Old 11-15-2011   #53
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
I think its fair to say he has been injured more than average, but it only takes a couple of hits to skew your average very quickly. Many injuries are situational and the strongest person on the planet couldn't do sh*t about them. (As an example would you say that Charles Spencer is injury prone?, but he's not playing is he) There are times when someone tougher would withstand an injury others would not, but when 300+ lbs. falls on your foot the way it appears this happened, theres not much anyone can do.
That's fine...

I have not stated an opinion one way or the other and I totally understand what you were saying.

That said, my point was that I don't think it's this crazy ridiculous notion for someone to think he is injury prone. He has been injured quite a bit and while he has had a good stretch of staying healthy, overall he has sat out due to health issues quite a bit...

This is not a knock on Schaub (for me) it's an observation.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #54
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Different sports so your example can get lost. Try naming some injury prone NFL examples. Simply put... there aren't many of them because they either play football or not. NFL careers are generally too short in order for them to recover over and over. 16 games verses 82 or 162 is huge with carrying the injury-prone label.

To roll with infantrycak's definition, Owen Daniels would best fit with 3 blown ACLs. Problem is... only one has kept him down in the NFL. The other two were from his college days (or is it vice-versa?) but they don't apply because he didn't miss any NFL games. Eh. I think it's weak.

Again, the injury-prone label does not belong in football. Those are the breaks.
Old 11-15-2011   #55
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72459 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
And people wonder why I spend less and less time perusing the boards.
You and me both, Bill.

You and me both.
Old 11-15-2011   #56
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems like folks just have different definitions of injury prone.

I think even if you are in the group that says he is not injury prone he just has bad breaks, then it would seem that he is prone to having bad luck or being cheap shotted which ultimately leads back to the same place which is Schaub missing games...

Prone to bad luck, prone to being injured, prone to cheap shots, prone to mis-fortune...

Doesn't really matter to me...He's missing games in the midst of our best season ever and that sucks. Sucks for him and it sucks for the team.

Hopefully time machine can get 'er done.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #57
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Haynesworth is just his kryptonite :P i think haynes has injured him at least 3 times already
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #58
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Seems to me that some want it both ways.

If you don't want injuries to used as an excuse, why focus on them as if they should be?

Legitimate question.
Old 11-15-2011   #59
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected
Angry Re: Matt Schaub - Injury Prone

Brittle....are you crazy.....
How about the Jacksonville game where he gets hurt and goes to the locker room....then comes back out and finishes the game.....

rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #60
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14

Thread Killer:

Via ESPN South Blog

A few other notes on Schaub from ESPN Stats and Info, as he shifts into the background:

He had started 46 straight games for the Texans and entering Week 10 he was one of seven quarterbacks to take every snap.

After throwing a combined 27 interceptions in 2009 and 2010, Schaub had just six in 10 games this season, tied with Colt McCoy and Jay Cutler behind only Aaron Rodgers (three).

According to Total QBR, Schaub has been an elite-level quarterback since the 2008 season. His 66.2 QBR in that time period trails only Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Rodgers and Drew Brees.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read