Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-14-2011   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Neil Rackers

While he has been decent, I've been very shaky about this guy. To me he was the only bad part about our team yesterday. I know the kick didn't cost us the game but that was a very makeable kick, and the opportunity came off a turnover. I'm getting to the point where I don't want him making pressure kicks and would even like to see Hartman try a few.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 41516 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Neil Rackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
While he has been decent, I've been very shaky about this guy. To me he was the only bad part about our team yesterday. I know the kick didn't cost us the game but that was a very makeable kick, and the opportunity came off a turnover. I'm getting to the point where I don't want him making pressure kicks and would even like to see Hartman try a few.
to a quick look @ taking a kicker in my BYE week texan mock but he is still better than anyone in College. NFL kickers are kinda rare breed, be happy with who we got

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011   #3
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 147467 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Weeks had a couple of bad snaps. That's what worries me. Hartmann wasn't able to get the ball down right.

On one of Rackers kicks that he missed earlier in the season, Hartmann didn't get the laces around correctly. That pulled the ball off line and the ball sailed right, iirc.

So it's Weeks and Hartmann that worry me in the kicking game. Not Rackers.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011   #4
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Weeks had a couple of bad snaps. That's what worries me. Hartmann wasn't able to get the ball down right.

On one of Rackers kicks that he missed earlier in the season, Hartmann didn't get the laces around correctly. That pulled the ball off line and the ball sailed right, iirc.

So it's Weeks and Hartmann that worry me in the kicking game. Not Rackers.
I just read about Weeks. This needs to be worked on over the bye for real. We are approaching the last month of the season. We need to be sharp in this area.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011   #5
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 53247 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

weeks could definitely be better, but i think hartmann is the problem. he moves in slow motion and the ball is very rarely planted securely when rackers makes the kick - even on the makes. my concern is that rackers has or will begin to adjust his approach to compensate, and that's definitely not something you want from someone so consistent.
Old 11-14-2011   #6
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 44792 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
to a quick look @ taking a kicker in my BYE week texan mock but he is still better than anyone in College. NFL kickers are kinda rare breed, be happy with who we got
Nebraska has a very good one again this year.

He punts well too.
Old 11-14-2011   #7
sandman
Veteran

Rep Power: 16685 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

This thread falls into the "We must be playing really well if all we can complain about is X" category.

Where X = missed FG in blowout 28 point win from a kicker who is at 90% for his career as a Texan
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-14-2011   #8
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 12708 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Were you around for the Kris Brown years?

I started getting shaky about Kris Brown when he missed multiple field goals in back to back games. The guy had been money for us for years, but, suddenly he made me nervous.

I don't get that feeling with Rackers yet. Far from it. He's getting the job done for us.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011   #9
sandman
Veteran

Rep Power: 16685 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Were you around for the Kris Brown years?

I started getting shaky about Kris Brown when he missed multiple field goals in back to back games. The guy had been money for us for years, but, suddenly he made me nervous.

I don't get that feeling with Rackers yet. Far from it. He's getting the job done for us.
Agreed.

Rackers has missed 6 FGA in his career as a Texan, and only two of those misses occurred in losses. He has never missed more than on FGA in a game.

In fact, over the last four seasons, Rackers has missed a total of only 10 FGA.

In Kris Brown's last season with the Texans, he had more misses (11), more games with misses (8), more misses in losses (4) and more multi-miss games (3) than Rackers has had in his last four seasons combined.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011   #10
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5046 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
Agreed.

Rackers has missed 6 FGA in his career as a Texan, and only two of those misses occurred in losses. He has never missed more than on FGA in a game.

In fact, over the last four seasons, Rackers has missed a total of only 10 FGA.

In Kris Brown's last season with the Texans, he had more misses (11), more games with misses (8), more misses in losses (4) and more multi-miss games (3) than Rackers has had in his last four seasons combined.
I don't think anyone would say that Rackers isn't an improvement over Brown, but none-the-less there is a problem in our kicking game that we need to iron out before things get serious. Whether the problem is Weeks, Hartmann, or Rackers himself; we don't want to go into the playoffs feeling uncomfortable about FGs over 25 yards.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read