Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-10-2011   #21
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: DeMeco Ryans...Overpaid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
We might not see the old Demeco until next year. A ruptured Achilles is one of the last injuries you ever want to get, especially if you are a football player.

Chances are he won't live up to his contract this year. But we all knew that when he went down last year.

If he were healthy, we'd probably never go to our "Dime package"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I've always assumed he wouldn't be all the way back from his injury till next season. I've seen him play pretty well at times this year.
Could've ended the thread pretty much right here.
Old 11-10-2011   #22
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 67028 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
I hate to be the guy who points it out, but is DeMeco Ryans overpaid? He doesn't play in dime packages, and I don't even see him on the field much anymore. He's not as fast or explosive as he once was, yet he's being paid like a superstar and not producing like one.

Through 9 , he only has 21 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 interceptions, 2 pass defensed.
you do realize that it was demeco who forced the fumble on the browns first drive last week. How bout start this thread on a week when he is virtually ineffective, but even then the answer will be the same. Demeco is a top LB and is not overpaid.
Old 11-10-2011   #23
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought Demeco has been coming along as of late. If I'm correct he had a great game vs. Tennessee and caused a fumble against Cleveland. He also had a decent game vs. Miami.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #24
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 269149 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I dont dispute that Cak .... but thats a lot of cap space tied up in a guy who is only on the field in the base defense.

If he's not healthy and isnt contributing at a level comparable to his pay do you continue to pay him or do you cut your losses and sign a FA at a reasonable cost or even a draft pick which would be making considerably less ?

If he's healthy there is no question you keep him .... but thats not the case here.
Thing is I think his being pulled is mainly because of his elbow injury rather than his achilles. Everyone is focused on the leg but he is moving very well in that regard. I think the elbow and that tremendous brace are limiting him on pass defense. Unless I misunderstood CnD that should be a full recovery issue in the off-season.
Old 11-10-2011   #25
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post

How can so many of you guys sound so certain he'll get back to his old self?? Don't get me wrong, I hope he does but it's no where even close to a guarantee.
I don't think anyone is "certain" that he will return to 100%. What most people are questioning is that some here are talking like "he doesn't fit the system" "he's playing a limited role" "Brian Cushing is in on nickel & dime packages"

They totally ignore the fact that he tore his Achilles last year & isn't expected to be close to his old form till late in the season if not early next season, & they completely ignore the fact that he has a big ass brace on his arm.

It's a lot like saying, "Andre hasn't played a single snap in the last 5 games. CnD says he'll most likely never return to 100%, I can understand if he winds up a cap casualty in the offseason."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
Luckily he shown he can still play well enough even when not completely healthy. He is one of my favorite players, I hope he does recover fully.
As he gets into better & better health, I doubt we'll see any dime packages at all. Demeco & Brian will be on the field 100% of the time. Only this time, if we lose our MIke, we'll be better prepared than we were last year.
Old 11-10-2011   #26
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 164018 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Could've ended the thread pretty much right here.
it should never have started
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #27
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165649 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

After reading all the comments, it seems that it would be helpful to refresh memories. I will only briefly summarize the pertinent points (specific to Demeco) of the analysis of NFL players that I reviewed previously for Stephanie's blog in the Chronicle.

*1/3 of the players were NEVER able to return to the NFL

*Defensively, linebackers experienced the greatest drop in power ratings (DEFENSIVE POWER RATING calculated as a total of TACKLES + INTERCEPTIONS), followed by cornerbacks, defensive tackles, and defensive ends. The average decrease was 95% (p=0.09), 87% (p=0.03), 64% (p=0.01), and 55% (p=0.03), respectively. In other words, LBs were the players (both offensive and defensive) that had the most drop off of all players to return.

*Their 1st season post injury tended to be their BEST performing season post injury.......but significantly down from the 3 years prior to injury. Each subsequent post injury season saw a DECREASE (not an increase)in performance from the prior season as measured up to 3 years post injury.

As I explained at the time that I presented the data, there were definite limitations to the study. But even if you felt justified in halving the post injury power rating losses due to these limitations, the numbers would still be quite discouraging.

According to the available data, absent Demeco's elbow injury, this season could have been Demeco's best chance to show his most productive post injury season. There is always that "miraculous" exceptional case that occurs out there, and that is true.......but realistically the odds are not with Demeco.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #28
TexanScott
Rookie

A slightly less productive Ryans is still better than most other second options we could match with Cushing. However, your point isn't about if he should be on the team, but more about his contract so I can see what you mean. However, he still has his instincts and we have to sit back and see if his physicality will come back with time as well to go along with that.
TexanScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011   #29
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
After reading all the comments, it seems that it would be helpful to refresh memories. I will only briefly summarize the pertinent points (specific to Demeco) of the analysis of NFL players that I reviewed previously for Stephanie's blog in the Chronicle.

*Defensively, linebackers experienced the greatest drop in power ratings (DEFENSIVE POWER RATING calculated as a total of TACKLES + INTERCEPTIONS), followed by cornerbacks, defensive tackles, and defensive ends. The average decrease was 95% (p=0.09), 87% (p=0.03), 64% (p=0.01), and 55% (p=0.03), respectively. In other words, LBs were the players (both offensive and defensive) that had the most drop off of all players to return.

*Their 1st season post injury tended to be their BEST performing season post injury.......but significantly down from the 3 years prior to injury. Each subsequent post injury season saw a DECREASE (not an increase)in performance from the prior season as measured up to 3 years post injury.

As I explained at the time that I presented the data, there were definite limitations to the study. But even if you felt justified in halving the post injury power rating losses due to these limitations, the numbers would still be quite discouraging.

According to the available data, absent Demeco's elbow injury, this season could have been Demeco's best chance to show his most productive post injury season. There is always that "miraculous" exceptional case that occurs out there, and that is true.......but realistically the odds are not with Demeco.
Its sad to read that but at least with Demeco's contract situation the Texans will likely have to give him plenty of time to show what he can be either way.

Also, there is chance there to allow Sharpton to develop further AND draft his eventual replacement in there so this shouldn't become too big a problem for the team down the line.

That said I've seen seperate comments highlighting that both Demeco's numbers appear low this season, and that he's only been in on as little as 17 snaps a game, which makes those numbers look a lot better all of a sudden.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011   #30
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 107649 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
I hate to be the guy who points it out, but is DeMeco Ryans overpaid? He doesn't play in dime packages, and I don't even see him on the field much anymore. He's not as fast or explosive as he once was, yet he's being paid like a superstar and not producing like one.

Through 9 games, he only has 21 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 interceptions, 2 pass defensed.
I think you got your answer, but I like the thread in that it's nice to see an overwhelming vote of support for DeMeco by the TexansTalk'ers.
Old 11-11-2011   #31
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes he is overpaid.

I like demeco, but I think we could get similar production for a cheaper price.

If the info cloak posted holds true then he will be even more overpaid than he already is.

It sucks terribly, but it is what it is.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Yes he is overpaid.

I like demeco, but I think we could get similar production for a cheaper price.

If the info cloak posted holds true then he will be even more overpaid than he already is.

It sucks terribly, but it is what it is.
Yep, Andre is overpaid as well. I think we can get production similar to what he's put up this year, at a lot lower cost.

If the info Cloak posted holds true, then he'll be even more overpaid than he already is.

It sucks... terribly, but it is what it is.
Old 11-11-2011   #33
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

So, maybe I was correct in selecting an ILB in my mock draft first round.
Old 11-11-2011   #34
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Injuries have been a part of why he has been limited in PT. The other variable is Cushing playing out of his ****ing mind.
Old 11-11-2011   #35
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25491 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I appreciate your input. Thanks. Unfortunately I think the Texans will be like most posters here burying their heads in the sand and hoping that Demeco is the 1 in 100 player that makes a full recovery to pre-injury level. Yes Demeco is overpaid for his current level of production. I don't know how many years it will take to pay him the guaranteed portion of his contract but I'll bet the Texans will bring him back next year.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011   #36
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Nothing like toughing out multiple injuries and then having people question your salary over it.

Rough. I think the most overpaid player on the team is probably Shiloh Keo.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011   #37
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 5502 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Can anyone truly say he is a liability out there? He still reads the game very well and helps his teammates read the game as well. (remember Brooks Reed is a rookie and Barwin doesn't exactly have a whole lot of game experience either).

His injury has hampered him no doubt, but it helps that we are in a 3-4 and he doesn't exactly need to be everywhere on the pitch. Demeco will only get better (and has been if you watch some game film) as the season progresses. I look forward to seeing Cushing and Demeco being the center of the defense for a few more years.

inb4 Schaub is overpaid.
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011   #38
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9598 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

I have heard a couple of people still talking that Demeco isn't looking good while I believe next year we may see a Demeco that is more dominant because of his injury this year and his achilles injury last year. What do you guys think? Is he still the starter or should he be replaced? For the record, I say we keep him.
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011   #39
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 67028 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

to me i see him getting better after every game, look at today how he seperated Shockey from the ball, the boy is still the starter.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read