Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-10-2011   #1
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default DeMeco Ryans...Overpaid?

I hate to be the guy who points it out, but is DeMeco Ryans overpaid? He doesn't play in dime packages, and I don't even see him on the field much anymore. He's not as fast or explosive as he once was, yet he's being paid like a superstar and not producing like one.

Through 9 games, he only has 21 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 interceptions, 2 pass defensed.
Old 11-10-2011   #2
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: DeMeco Ryans...Overpaid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
I hate to be the guy who points it out, but is DeMeco Ryans overpaid? He doesn't play in dime packages, and I don't even see him on the field much anymore. He's not as fast or explosive as he once was, yet he's being paid like a superstar and not producing like one.

Through 9 games, he only has 21 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 interceptions, 2 pass defensed.
We might not see the old Demeco until next year. A ruptured Achilles is one of the last injuries you ever want to get, especially if you are a football player.

Chances are he won't live up to his contract this year. But we all knew that when he went down last year.

If he were healthy, we'd probably never go to our "Dime package"
Old 11-10-2011   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I've always assumed he wouldn't be all the way back from his injury till next season. I've seen him play pretty well at times this year.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #4
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Albert Haynesworth is overpaid.

Chris Johnson is overpaid.

Roy Williams is overpaid.

DeMeco Ryans is not overpaid.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #5
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 35618 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I've always assumed he wouldn't be all the way back from his injury till next season. I've seen him play pretty well at times this year.
That's what I'm worried about. Are we to assume he's going to fully recover and become the DeMeco Ryans that used to dominate?

...will he ever recover and play at the same level again?
Old 11-10-2011   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Do you see the freaking brace on his arm? If you do, you don't understand how limiting that is?

Do you advocate dumping a stellar player over a temporary issue?

Dude is solid when hobbled, a general of the D. When back in full form he and Cushing will be the best ILB duo in the NFL.

Cushing is an emotional leader. DeMeco is an intellectual leader. And both are sideline to sideline players when healthy.

Last edited by infantrycak; 11-14-2013 at 04:50 PM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Do you see the freaking brace on his arm? If you do, you don't understand how imitating that is?
Old 11-10-2011   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's what I'm worried about. Are we to assume he's going to fully recover and become the DeMeco Ryans that used to dominate?

he's a premiere player so I think I'd be patient. Cushing looked bad last year nursing some injuries and whatnot. Look at him play now, all healthy and all.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #9
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Do you see the freaking brace on his arm? If you do, you don't understand how imitating that is?

Do you advocate dumping a stellar player over a temporary issue?

Dude is solid when hobbled, a general of the D. When back in full form he and Cushing will be the best ILB duo in the NFL.

Cushing is an emotional leader. DeMeco is an intellectual leader. And both are sideline to sideline players when healthy.
Right on. The Texans couldn't tackle the backside of a barn without Demeco
last year. He's not a liability out there, and he and Jonathan Joseph keep
their teammates' heads in the game. It doesn't show up in a stat sheet, but you
can't measure the value of that leadership.
Old 11-10-2011   #10
Kthx
All Pro

Section: Bar Table
Rep Power: 8622 Kthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess its sorta hard to think about to two seasons ago and watching DeMeco be the general on the field, directing players where to lineup, where the ball would be ending up, if he saw signs of a rush or a pass play. I remember those days and I think they will happen again. Even if he has forever lost a step you can't get rid of someone who has the football IQ that he has, and the respect from the team that he has. He made our terrible defense show flashes of brilliance single handedly, I refuse to say the guys overpaid.
Kthx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #11
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You werent the first .... so dont feel bad , was discussing this situatoin wint Beerlover in the mock draft section last week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Demeco's injuries , reduced role , decreased production and high cost are why I say he could end up as a "Cap Casualty". At his current level of play , he's simply not worth what they are paying him.
I do think they should be patient with him and see if he returns to form next season. But if he doesnt show significant recovery thats a lot of money going to a guy who gets limited playing time now that Cushing is the guy in both nickle and dime packages.

He's been on the field for as few as 17 plays in a game ....

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully Ryans will return to 100% and he is getting better. The arm injury is just added to the leg injury. In my mock draft, I do select a first round ILB for insurance and to build depth. We now have a team that we should be drafting BPA soon.
Old 11-10-2011   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
now that Cushing is the guy in both nickle and dime packages.
Have you seen the brace on his arm? I don't think he can fully extend his arm at this point. It isn't a talent issue. It is a health issue. And he is still playing at a very high level.
Old 11-10-2011   #14
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!

He's currently hampered by injuries and he's still a nice thumper against the run. He'll eventually be back and when he is, it'll be even more fun to watch our ILB's.
Old 11-10-2011   #15
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

It's not like the Texans can do anything about it. He's in the second year of a big deal so the guaranteed money probably won't run out for a couple more years. Give him time, he will get back to form by the beginning of next year.
Old 11-10-2011   #16
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

After reading CND's take on recovery, I am very worried that he may never return to the same level.

How can so many of you guys sound so certain he'll get back to his old self?? Don't get me wrong, I hope he does but it's no where even close to a guarantee.

Luckily he shown he can still play well enough even when not completely healthy. He is one of my favorite players, I hope he does recover fully.
Old 11-10-2011   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
After reading CND's take on recovery, I am very worried that he may never return to the same level.

How can so many of you guys sound so certain he'll get back to his old self?? Don't get me wrong, I hope he does but it's no where even close to a guarantee.

Luckily he shown he can still play well enough even when not completely healthy. He is one of my favorite players, I hope he does recover fully.
He may never fully recover and be back to his best.

But he should be able to keep getting better until sometime next season. So as good as he is now, he should definitely be able to get better even if he doesn't get up to the same level he was.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #18
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Have you seen the brace on his arm? I don't think he can fully extend his arm at this point. It isn't a talent issue. It is a health issue. And he is still playing at a very high level.
I dont dispute that Cak .... but thats a lot of cap space tied up in a guy who is only on the field in the base defense.

If he's not healthy and isnt contributing at a level comparable to his pay do you continue to pay him or do you cut your losses and sign a FA at a reasonable cost or even a draft pick which would be making considerably less ?

If he's healthy there is no question you keep him .... but thats not the case here.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #19
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I dont dispute that Cak .... but thats a lot of cap space tied up in a guy who is only on the field in the base defense.

If he's not healthy and isnt contributing at a level comparable to his pay do you continue to pay him or do you cut your losses and sign a FA at a reasonable cost or even a draft pick which would be making considerably less ?

If he's healthy there is no question you keep him .... but thats not the case here.
There's no need to cut him. He's playing and contributing. If we do cut him, he'll just be dead money counting against the cap.

So let's give him a chance to recover. If he can regain 90-95% of his previous playing ability, it will be a boon for our defense to have him beside Cush and he'll be worth every penny.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011   #20
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
There's no need to cut him. He's playing and contributing. If we do cut him, he'll just be dead money counting against the cap.

So let's give him a chance to recover. If he can regain 90-95% of his previous playing ability, it will be a boon for our defense to have him beside Cush and he'll be worth every penny.
I think 85% was about the typical recovery of former ability. Regardless, I still take that, his intelligence and instincts are top notch.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read