Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-05-2011   #41
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Andre Johnson Ruled OUT Against Browns

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
Dre will be back, and it will be when he's ready, which I'm fine with. There's no reason to rush anything at this point. If he missed the TB game, then he gets an extra 2 weeks to be completely healed, which is great.
That is the way I feel also, but if for some reason we lose tomorrow I will be much more interested in seeing him at Tampa. Otherwise, rest the big guy and get him as well as any pro football player can get during the season. I do look for him to have a more extensive operation after the season to get things in more correct shape.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #42
Endcoachment
Rookie

Rep Power: 101 Endcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Endcoachment,

I can appreciate your comments. Let me point that injuries are never entirely predictable, although there ARE principles that give the greatest chance for healing and least chance of setback. I would direct you to our discussions of my take of having to keep Foster out longer after his initial preseason injury. He was brought back too soon and subsequently had to deal with prolonged in-season problems. When he did finally get back, he had one very good Pittsburg game. In his next 2 games, he went back to looking like he again “lost” something. Pushed too hard too soon? Now that he is evidently well-healed, he has shown back-to-back closer to “Arian” level performances in weeks 7 and 8, although in his week 8 performance of 30 carries with only 3.4 yds/carry, he still may not have regained his max explosiveness/performance when meeting resistance against large defensive walls.

As to your comment of treating only “ordinary” people? When following the same established principles of healing, “ordinary” people are LESS likely to re-injure than “elite” athletes. Therefore, those principles should actually be adhered to in a more stringent fashion. However, it is the conflicting interests of getting players back on the field as soon as possible are the factors that play a role in the “skewing” of judgement. Finally, my patient population over the years have indeed included mostly as you call it, “ordinary people,” but that has been along with a healthy dose of collegiate and professional athletes, albeit not ever as an official "team doctor. I can only make recommendations as to their treatment and restrictions based upon sound reasoning and experience. In the end, even if partially "controlled" by other surrounding tempting forces, their choices to follow those recommendations or not are beyond my control. Like in so many things in life, as pertains to BOTH patient and doctor, some will "get through it" ignoring effective principles, good sense and sound supported advice.......most will not.
Correct me if im wrong but do athletes not heal faster because of increased muscular activity over the average persons? The average person gets below 2-3 hours of exercise which leads to muscle degeneration and subsequent decreased muscle fiber replacement. Wouldn't sports participants such as AJ and AF heal faster?
Endcoachment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #43
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endcoachment View Post
Correct me if im wrong but do athletes not heal faster because of increased muscular activity over the average persons? The average person gets below 2-3 hours of exercise which leads to muscle degeneration and subsequent decreased muscle fiber replacement. Wouldn't sports participants such as AJ and AF heal faster?
Any increased healing speed would be from Vitamin T or Vitamin h, both of which are strictly illegal and therefore not used.

But seriously...

If you're injured, you've got to be extra careful about the amount of stress and strain you put on your body through exercise. They are healthier than most people but I don't think the exercise they do while injured allows them to heal faster (except in some special cases.)

Doc can (and will) correct me if I'm totally off base with that.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #44
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endcoachment View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Any increased healing speed would be from Vitamin T or Vitamin h, both of which are strictly illegal and therefore not used.

But seriously...

If you're injured, you've got to be extra careful about the amount of stress and strain you put on your body through exercise. They are healthier than most people but I don't think the exercise they do while injured allows them to heal faster (except in some special cases.)

Doc can (and will) correct me if I'm totally off base with that.
The Pencil Neck has put forth the answer in a concise and uncomplicated fashion.

Treatment of damaged muscles is focused on reducing the inflammation, gentle stretching (to help lessen stress on the muscles) and the allowing of the muscle adequate time to heal properly. No matter who you are, the body can't build new muscle if you don't give it the proper time to heal. Exercise is begun only when entirely pain-free. When reaching that landmark, exercise should be introduced gradually and intensity increased slowly and carefully. Beginning the exercise phase too soon or pushing the level of intensity too quickly will tear down the damaged muscle rather than promote its healing, and inevitably result in a "setback." Pushing or being pushed too hard too quickly, which is more likely a scenario seen in the "elite" athlete can appear to be an impressive and admirable trait, but can in many cases end up glaringly counterproductive and harmful.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #45
unabated
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 unabated is a quality contributor and well respectedunabated is a quality contributor and well respectedunabated is a quality contributor and well respectedunabated is a quality contributor and well respectedunabated is a quality contributor and well respectedunabated is a quality contributor and well respectedunabated is a quality contributor and well respectedunabated is a quality contributor and well respectedunabated is a quality contributor and well respectedunabated is a quality contributor and well respectedunabated is a quality contributor and well respected

Updating a previous report, Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak said WR Andre Johnson (hamstring) was sore after working out Monday, Oct. 31, and he was given a "day of rest" Wednesday, Nov. 2, missing practice. "We pushed Andre on Monday," Kubiak said. "He came out and had a real strong workout, (we) pushed him. He got sore on us, so that means for us to slow down a little bit, so we gave him the day off today. We'll see where we're at tomorrow."

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/player/5907/nfl#ixzz1cveO4qfv

He practiced on Monday so he was unable to practice for the rest of the week (they said "given a day of rest Wednesday" I guarantee you he didn't practice or workout on Tues, Thurs or Friday either) and now he is out for Sunday. I'm afraid he's out for the season IMO, we'll see after the bye, if he starts or not, if he doesn't start after the bye week then I think that'll be it for this year for Dre... (they'll schedule the appointment to re-attach that tendon and get that going asap). Hopefully this doesn't happen and we have an Andre Johnson @ 100% for the playoffs... but if he's struggling to get through a Monday practice NOW... I'm quite a bit cautious about his return.
unabated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #46
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Endcoachment,

Let me get this correct, AJ is superman.

He's just lost his kryptonite and cant seem to find it anywhere.

I wish life worked that way. LOL
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #47
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

He will be back after the bye. End of thread/
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #48
unabated
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 unabated is a quality contributor and well respectedunabated is a quality contributor and well respectedunabated is a quality contributor and well respectedunabated is a quality contributor and well respectedunabated is a quality contributor and well respectedunabated is a quality contributor and well respectedunabated is a quality contributor and well respectedunabated is a quality contributor and well respectedunabated is a quality contributor and well respectedunabated is a quality contributor and well respectedunabated is a quality contributor and well respected

BTW the reports of "soreness" are a bit sketchy... now I've heard the words "tweeked" ... hmm, just not sure about the reports coming out of the Texans camp... we'll just have to see. I'm no expert for sure I'll leave that to CND. (thanks for all the info Doc)
unabated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #49
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
That is the way I feel also, but if for some reason we lose tomorrow I will be much more interested in seeing him at Tampa. Otherwise, rest the big guy and get him as well as any pro football player can get during the season. I do look for him to have a more extensive operation after the season to get things in more correct shape.
He's going to miss this week, because he had a "setback"

He'll play next week, unless he has a "setback"

From here on out, every week he doesn't play, it will be because he experienced a "setback"

Andre wants to play, & is doing what he thinks he should, to get himself ready. You may not see it on Sunday, but what he is doing in practice is just as dangerous to his long term health.

It would be to our best interest if we see him next week. That would be the most telling evidence that he is ready & will be ready this year.

If he misses another week, that means they are going about his re-hab all wrong (we should probably already be at this conclusion) & he has more than likely re-injured himself which may push back his recovery time even farther, maybe out for the season.
Old 11-06-2011   #50
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Beginning the exercise phase too soon or pushing the level of intensity too quickly will tear down the damaged muscle rather than promote its healing, and inevitably result in a "setback."
However, in Andre's case, there was no damaged muscle to heal right?

So what can be the source of his soreness now?
Old 11-06-2011   #51
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Having read some posts in other threads, it appears that some posters may have interpreted what I have presented as AJ maybe NEVER coming back. If so, this is not what I have tried to put across. In fact, this would be a very highly unlikely outcome. No one knows exactly when the Texans will put AJ out there for a full hour of all-out full-contact against “real” opposing defensive players (many times in double and triple coverage) that mean to stop him at any cost. I do believe that this should not happen until after the bye week (and only if he is ready) in order to give him the best chance of being able to stay on the field and perform at least at a reasonable level when he is really needed.

As far as the procedure he underwent, I have said that I nor his own doctors can say with certainty how much permanent “measurable” effect it may have on his long-term performance. Keep in mind that when the word “elite” is used to label professional football athletes in the medical literature, it usually refers to NFL players in general. We all know that within the NFL, there is a very exclusive subset of athletes we label “elite,” of which AJ is one. As we all know, the differences separating the two groups may only be dictated by very small but important factors. So, what I’ve tried to point out is that if AJ loses ANY explosiveness/acceleration from his injury and/or how it was managed, he could possibly drop back to the general label of an “elite” athlete.

I, along with everyone else, will be hoping that at some point in time we will again see the same AJ that we have always known.
Old 11-06-2011   #52
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
However, in Andre's case, there was no damaged muscle to heal right?

So what can be the source of his soreness now?
Here's part of the answer.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=45

The release was of the semitendosus muscle. The changed relationship of how the muscles now work can change the dynamics of pain and tenderness and stresses on the surrounding 2 hamstring muscles (see illustration). The tendon being released itself can result in scar tissue that can be torn and re-torn as the rehab ensues. In the most stubborn cases, if scar tissue becomes too resistant to softening and stretch, then surgical release of the scar tissue may be required.

Old 11-09-2011   #53
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 74351 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't think it was worthy of a new thread, couldn't find the older one:

NFL_RealUpdates Dov Kleiman
#Texans head coach Gary Kubiak said that WR Andre Johnson has a chance to play against the #Buccaneers on Sunday.
1 hour ago
Old 11-09-2011   #54
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Didn't think it was worthy of a new thread, couldn't find the older one:

NFL_RealUpdates Dov Kleiman
#Texans head coach Gary Kubiak said that WR Andre Johnson has a chance to play against the #Buccaneers on Sunday.
1 hour ago
Definitely thread worthy.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read