Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-08-2011   #121
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Penn State Child Sex Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
LOL....best use of a smiley.

Arsenal, by the law, yes, he did what he had to do, the bare minimum. It is not illegal for him to call someone or follow up with the situation after he reported it. More should have been done.

Even though you admittedly don't have nor necessarily like kids as you have posted before, which is fine, you still sound ludicrous for acting as though he fulfilled his obligations in full as a human, law and morality aside. These were kids man, kids. You make sure someone pays for that.

Admitting that and joining a lynch mob are 2 different things. And obviously people who are parents like me, DB, Vinny, GHF, Nitro, Srrono, etc., are going to be more sensitive to the issue but we are still making logical arguments and not just flailing with hyberbole IMO.

It just boggles my mind that someone wouldn't have demanded more from someone like Joe Pa who IS Penn St, not just a coach. Sandusky STILL was allowed on campus and had an office and would work out there, etc, all these years later but the school would not allow him to bring kids to the facility anymore, so he clearly had been found out, yet Joe Pa, and everyone else, turned a blind eye. That's solid fuqed up right there. So yes, in my mind, Joe knew what happened as he let his AD know, yet still looked this fuq in the eye on campus in some unofficial role for ow many years later. Joe Pa is not an *****, you know that if the AD had called the cops Sandusky would have been raped and murdered in jail by now. That didn't raise any bells to Joe Pa...this is a complerte cluster FAIL on Joe Pa and everyone else and honestly I hope anyone not criminally charged is civilly sued for every penny they earn to where there grandkids are poor.

Joe Pa's legacy is trash, Penn St is dead and the NCAA has yet another nail in what I hope is its coffin as an organization honestly. I'm honestly surprised I am so composed in this discussion. The things I want to do to Sandusky are just sick, even I'm shocked. I think for the first time my imagination has outdone anything I have ever heard while listening to Metal...and that's saying alot with some of the **** I jam lol.
If I was Joe I'd be dropping dime because you know who enables a freak ?
Old 11-08-2011   #122
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61321 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
You are correct but I'm not against taking the next step. That next step is a personal choice because he doesn't have to do so. I'm not trying to sound like I'm condemning the idea of notifying the authorities and if I am then I sincerely apologize. My point was he may haven't met his moral responsibility but morality is subjective because what's moral for one may not be for another. The bare mininum was met therefore I don't think he should be legally punished.
I can agree with the bolded. I fully expect his punishment to be illegally vicious.
Old 11-08-2011   #123
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You are correct but I'm not against taking the next step. That next step is a personal choice because he doesn't have to do so. I'm not trying to sound like I'm condemning the idea of notifying the authorities and if I am then I sincerely apologize. My point was he may haven't met his moral responsibility but morality is subjective because what's moral for one may not be for another. The bare mininum was met therefore I don't think he should be legally punished.
Actually, I believe you are wrong. The State of Pennsylvania has a code that requires all school personnel to report child abuse. Joe Paterno as a coach of a publicly funded state university would fall under this mandatory requirement. He failed to report this to the proper authorities within the required 48 hour time period. By the way, the Athletic Director is not considered the proper authority. I hope that charges will be filed on these grounds.
Old 11-08-2011   #124
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
Actually, I believe you are wrong. The State of Pennsylvania has a code that requires all school personnel to report child abuse. Joe Paterno as a coach of a publicly funded state university would fall under this mandatory requirement. He failed to report this to the proper authorities within the required 48 hour time period. By the way, the Athletic Director is not considered the proper authority. I hope that charges will be filed on these grounds.
I actually wondered if this was the case. Glad to hear it is.
Old 11-08-2011   #125
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I know about this but the attorney general has said that Paterno fulfilled his legal responsibility. That's why they won't be going after him for right now if at all.
This will then be a civil case .
Old 11-08-2011   #126
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 61262 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

http://boston.barstoolsports.com/
Old 11-08-2011   #127
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I know about this but the attorney general has said that Paterno fulfilled his legal responsibility. That's why they won't be going after him for right now if at all.
The Attorney General is full of crap if he only reported it to his Athletic Director. If pressure mounts for the Attorney General, who will be up for reelection in 2012, don't be surprised if her story changes. I'm hoping the people of Pennsylvania put the pressure on her. I hope child advocacy groups campaign in the press for charges to be filed against Paterno and McQueary.
Old 11-08-2011   #128
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind..._da_ray_g.html

Quote:
Gricar was also the county’s top prosecutor when many of the other inappropriate acts were alleged to have happened. But before the allegations brought by a boy in Clinton County in 2009, the 23-page grand jury presentment says police were only ever notified once: in 1998.

According to those who were present during that investigation, Gricar seemed to be the one who made the decision not to prosecute.

We’ll probably never know why.

Gricar disappeared April 15, 2005, after taking a day off work to drive to Lewisburg. His disappearance has been the subject of a lot of speculation.

His laptop hard drive, which was found dumped in the Susquehanna River near where his car was parked in Lewisburg, was too badly damaged by water to be read
Old 11-08-2011   #129
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
This will then be a civil case .
Meehan seeks federal probe of Penn State-sex scandal

Quote:
Dear Secretary Duncan,

I share your sentiment that the allegations of misconduct at Pennsylvania State University are heartbreaking. Given the disturbing nature of these allegations, I am writing to respectfully urge you direct the Department of Education to conduct a full investigation into whether federal law was broken in the failure to properly report allegations of sexual abuse at Penn State.

Old 11-08-2011   #130
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 156011 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
What concerns me is figuring where's Paterno's responsibility and I don't need to read the whole report for my answer.
First off, Paterno's moral responsibility as an adult, an educator, an authority figure, and just a HUMAN ****ING BEING is to call the ****ing cops as soon as he hears something like that. Furthermore, there's some indication at this point that educators are legally required to notify CPS if they see or hear evidence of child abuse.

Paterno can burn in hell just like Sandusky, and in my less charitable moments, I hope someone sends them both there soon.
Old 11-08-2011   #131
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Quote:
We'll find out soon enough. The AG said he did what he had to do according to state law. If she does turn around and go after him. That's a bs political move. Then again, the AD maybe the proper authority. What proof do you have that the AD isn't? That's the only reason why the AG would make such an initial statement like that.
No, it was a BS political move not to properly enforce the law in the first place.
Old 11-08-2011   #132
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
wow, thats awful. For those of you that didn't click the link, Paterno held a bizarro pep rally on his yard today
Quote:
“We want Joe!” (students chanting)

“And I want you!” Paterno said. “It’s hard for me to tell you how much this means to me. You guys have lived for this place. I’ve lived for people like you guys and girls. I’m just so happy to see that you feel so strongly about us and about our school. And as I said, I don’t know if you heard me or not, is, you know, the kids who were victims or whatever they want to say, I think we all ought to say a prayer for them. It’s a tough life when people do certain things to you. But anyway, you've been great. You’ve been really great.”

“Who are we?!”

“Penn State!”

Quote:
20 Victims? The Penn State Story Gets Worse by the Hour

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – Fox 29 has learned the number of child-abuse in the Penn State sex-abuse scandal involving ex-coach Jerry Sandusky has more than doubled in the past day, and is closer to 20 victims……………………Sources tell Fox 29 since a press conference on Monday, the number of potential victims has more than doubled in the case…………….On Monday, state officials publicized two phone numbers for past victims to call, and within a day, it seems investigators have new leads.
http://www.beyondusports.com/20-vict...ry-worse-hour/

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #133
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28847 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Can't we at least hear what Joe has to say or do we just not care that much? I think we can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Where did I say that? Read the thread let's not put words in the mouth of others either.
I didn't mean for it to seem like I was putting words in your mouth. For that I apologize.

Since Paterno was the one who notified the athletic director of what happened, don't you think it would be safe to assume he knew as much as the AD? So why would anyone care what he has to say?
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011   #134
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

“All that is needed for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.”

Quote:
Advocates for priest-abuse victims saw parallels in how the university and the Roman Catholic church handled similar problems.

"Here we are again," said John Salveson, former president of the Pennsylvania chapter of the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests. "When an institution discovers abuse of a kid ... their first reaction was to protect the reputation of the institution and the perpetrator."

"They didn't even try to find out the identity of the kid that was being raped in the shower," he said. "Their solution to this was to not let Sandusky into the shower anymore. It's just stunning to me that no one called the police."
Quote:
State police Commissioner Frank Noonan said that although Paterno may have met his legal requirement to report suspected abuse by Sandusky, "somebody has to question about what I would consider the moral requirements for a human being that knows of sexual things that are taking place with a child."

He added: "I think you have the moral responsibility, anyone. Not whether you're a football coach or a university president or the guy sweeping the building. I think you have a moral responsibility to call us."
Quote:
The grand jury report said McQueary was in the locker room that night to put away some new sneakers when he heard "rhythmic, slapping sounds" and looked into the showers.

He reportedly saw a naked boy, about 10 years old, with his hands against the wall as Sandusky subjected him to anal sex. McQueary left immediately and first contacted his father before calling Paterno the next morning and then meeting at Paterno's home.

Exactly what was said during that meeting is unclear from the grand jury record, which states that Paterno called Curley the next day to tell him McQueary had seen Sandusky "in the Lasch Building showers fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy."
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto...4#.TroBdvSArWI

Old 11-08-2011   #135
bigfan77801
Plebian

Rep Power: 375 bigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigfan77801 is a quality contributor and well respected

I used to have respect for Joe Pa, now I want him (and every other person involved in the cover-up) tossed in into the General Population in whatever prison they ended up in. I also would like to see the shower room burned to the ground, as fire is the only thing that can cleanse it.
Old 11-08-2011   #136
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Rhythmic slapping sounds ...

Old 11-09-2011   #137
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
I was more interested — and continue to be — about why Paterno did not feel compelled to contact police himself, just as a natural human reaction. Especially as the ultimate authority figure in the Penn State football complex, indeed — and let’s be honest here — maybe among the entirety of the university.

Then, what I really thought was compelling was what Paterno said in a news release on Sunday evening. He suggested that what McQueary told him in 2002 of the shower incident was so nonspecific that he was unaware that Sandusky was allegedly performing a sex act with the boy:
“It was obvious that the witness [McQueary] was distraught over what he saw, but he at no time related to me the very specific actions contained in the grand jury report.”

The attorney general’s release calls McQueary’s testimony something very different: “A powerful eyewitness statement about the sexual assault of a child.”

This discrepancy is an important point for Paterno’s moral standing. In fact, it’s everything.
What are we to believe here? Both parties agree that McQueary was so upset at what he saw that he immediately contacted his father and that together they went to tell Paterno. And yet, if we are to believe Paterno, McQueary somehow stopped short of conveying exactly what was so shocking?

This is some pretzel logic to traverse. And I find it extremely hard to buy.

When asked about the difference in McQueary’s and Paterno’s stories, the attorney general would not expound, and merely referred to the grand jury presentment.
http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/...tml#incart_hbx

Old 11-09-2011   #138
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 52985 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

This thing is getting more bizarre and sick by the hour.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011   #139
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 42996 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Guess god still loves the stupid idiots.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011   #140
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

"Moral nihilists assert that morality does not inherently exist, and that any established moral values are abstractly contrived." - http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihilism

I have studied a bit of philosophy in my time. This type of nihilism seemed to me to be a "look how cool-cynical I am" position. It seemed lazy to me too; proponents don't have to prove anything, just demand that others prove competing theories correct.

That's how I feel about the subject in philosophical banter anyway. Moral nihilism as a guiding principle in real life is degenerate.

I suspect those who claim to believe such crap only believe it when they aren't on the receiving end of what they would consider degenerate behavior.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read