Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-07-2011   #101
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68220 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All right, it's time to revisit this. Who here is really glad Bob didn't fire G

If we keep winning and playing the way we are, we could have the ghost of ****ing Osama Bin Laden himself coaching this team and I wouldn't give a shit.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #102
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All right, it's time to revisit this. Who here is really glad Bob didn't fire G

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Um...

1) Nothing is guaranteed. Not even Bill Cowher returning and being an outstanding coach (though I think he'd be better than Kubiak).

2) That's loser talk. I reject the notion that there's no other better coach out there. Using your logic, you are essentially saying that Gary Kubiak is the best coach in the NFL. That's not true.

3) There are clear, specific metrics in sports. Five seasons without one playoff appearance clearly qualifies as a failure.

4) It's about collecting talent. Why do you think there's the old draft day adage of "Draft for best player on the board, not for what you need"? It's because you can collect talent here and there and worry about putting the talent together later. This is an EXTREMELY talented football team, and has been for the last couple of seasons. A new coach would have come into the building to find - TALENT.
2. I didn't say that Cowher was the only one!

3 & 4. I kinda give Kubiak "half" of a pass because some of the players were playing "way under par" last year.

And like Hou-Tex had mentioned, I don't think "too much change" with the lock-out is a good thing.

I'm all for letting Kubiak go if he doesn't get it done this year though (this has always been my stand).
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #103
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 257888 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Problem with firing Rick Smith is, look at how he handled free agency. The guy was a sheer and utter genius. He had a plan, and executed it within days. He juggled Aso's people, then pulled the plug on that, then immediately signed Jonathan Joseph. Logistically, that's not easy to pull off. But he did.

Even if Wade told him, "Ok, go get player X", Rick has to make it happen. That's not easy when you're going after top guys in a free agency period that lasted about a week.
My thing this off-season.... I said Rick Smith should be on the hot seat. If he doesn't bring in a top named FA..... Nnamdi or Joseph, he should be gone.

He did it.

So, while I say I couldn't imagine the Texans going forward with both Kubiak & Smith... I did give him that one out.

I can see where McNair kept Kubiak. He had a defensive coach, that consistently had this team ranked as one of the lowest defensive & offensive teams in the league.... then he got an offensive coach that had the offense "ranked" as one of the best offenses in the league, but still ranked as one of the worst defensive teams.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out you're not going to win much (consistently) that way.

So he goes out and get a defensive guy to put with an offensive guy & BAM..... should work out pretty well, if the two can work together.

The problem though.... we're seeing the limitations of our offensive talent when we play the better defenses in the league. Granted, that's without Andre. But Matt Schaub is a pro bowler, Owen Daniels is a pro Bowler & Kevin Walter is making some pretty good change.

Myers..... we got him for a 6th round pick
Brisiel.... undrafted
Arian..... undrafted...... but talented none the less
Wade... journeyman

That's our run game right there, add Tate as a second round pick. PUt a second rounder in there.... at LG or RG or RT (kick Winston inside) & we'll be able to run on those defenses like nobody's business.
Old 11-07-2011   #104
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 353149 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Myers..... we got him for a 6th round pick
Brisiel.... undrafted
Arian..... undrafted...... but talented none the less
Wade... journeyman

That's our run game right there, add Tate as a second round pick. .
How do you not count 3rd rounder Winston and 1st rounder Brown in the run game?

Not to mention much of our run game's success has come off having probably the best group of run blocking WR's in the league. And I'll give credit to JJ here, he has really upped his game in the run blocking department. We knew AJ and Walter were great but JJ has stepped up.
Old 11-07-2011   #105
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

Not to mention much of our run game's success has come off having probably the best group of run blocking WR's in the league. And I'll give credit to JJ here, he has really upped his game in the run blocking department. We knew AJ and Walter were great but JJ has stepped up.
he had a great block on Tate's TD run yesterday. It's not easy to get a group of WRs to buy in and get down and dirty.
Old 11-07-2011   #106
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

QB: Schaub (traded two 2nd round picks for him)
RB: Foster/Tate (undrafted free agent and 2nd round pick, respectively)
WR: Johnson, Walter, Jones (#3 overall pick, traded a 6th rd pick for him, 3rd round pick respectively)
TE: Daniels, Dreesen (4th rd pick, free agent)
FB: Casey, Vickers (5th rd pick, free agent)
OT: Brown, Winston (late 1st after trading down, 3rd rd pick)
C: Myers (traded 6th rd pick for him)
OG: Smith, Brisiel (both free agents)

DE: Smith, Watt (higher free agent signing, #11 overall pick)
NT: Cody, Mitchell (free agent, 3rd rd pick)
OLB: Williams, Barwin, Reed (#1 overall pick, 2nd rd pick, 2nd rd pick)
CB: Joseph, Jackson, Allen (higher free agent signing, #20 overall pick, free agent signing)
FS: Manning, Nolan (higher free agent signing, 7th rd pick)
SS: Quin, Demps (4th rd pick for nickle cb/s, free agent)

Don't wanna hijack the thread but just got to thinking how we got all our big contributors.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #107
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

It's symphony in motion watching the OL, TE's, and WR's cutblock other teams.
Players are dropping like bowling pins when Tate and Foster are running the
ball.
Old 11-07-2011   #108
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

too early to tell, we have won nothing yet.

HOWEVER.. Wade Phillips has done a HELL of a job as DC
Lost Mario, Lost Manning, lost sharpton.

and the defense is still going. I know the competition is what it is..but I was wondering how bad this defense would collapse with those injuries if Wade wasn't running the show. (based on what DC we had a legitimate shot at signing at the time)

Gary.. his offense has just been clicking and going.. not sure if anyone would think we would be 6-3 if you said AJ,Foster,Tate,Ward,Casey has missed games .

TATE HAS BEEN HUGE for this offense

but it is what it is and this team can only play who is scheduled,so they just need to keep taking care of business.

but with all that said.. WAY too early to tell, lets get to be 1-0 this week heading into the Bye week.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #109
D1DAVE
Football=life

Rep Power: 93 D1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respectedD1DAVE is a quality contributor and well respected

Not me. I am enjoying this season so far. But he could leave next season and it would not hurt my feelings. Wade and him do seem to be complimenting each other so far, but our defense has really shined, and our running game is our success on offense.
D1DAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #110
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 259612 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansBlood View Post
2 Field goals on the second half of yesterdays game, only Gary Kubiak would be pleased with that.
No, no, no. Didn't you hear? We had the game well in hand by then. It was time to start practicing things we aren't very good at during a live game situation.

Old 11-07-2011   #111
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
LOL. I'm pretty freaking pleased with it, too.

Up by 21 points at halftime, we got the ball 3 times in the second half. We went on a 7+ minute drive and got a FG. Then we went on a 6:33 minute drive and got another FG. Then we got the ball with 4:47 minutes left in the game and we went on a 10 play 4:47 drive to end it.

THAT is how you win football games. You jump out to an early lead and then you grind out the clock with the run game. That is called choking the life out of your opponent and I will take it (and the 30-12 score) every game.

agreed with this.. I remember how pissed I was a year or so ago when MJD ran down our throats and closed out the game even when we knew they were going to run him
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read