Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-01-2011   #1
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Elephant in the room (Kubiak's November record)

Everything seems positive with the Texans, now. Well, as positive as it can with 3 of their top players out with injuries. We're talking defensive rankings, Pro Bowls, and playoff seeding. That's right. Not just playoffs. Playoff seeding.

But, it's November 1st. And what no one's talking about is what happens to the Texans in November. They lose. A lot. 14 L's over 20 games during the Kubiak era. Gary is actually 4 games over .500 in all other months combined. And while no one is saying it, everyone is aware that the Texans entered November of 2009 and 2010 with winning records. We all know what happened after that.

Does this year feel different? Yes, it does. Enter Wade Phillips. Exit Peyton Manning. And don't forget Denny's new Baconalia menu. Gary loves it.

But why have the Texans struggled in November's past? My feeling is that the collars on Kirby just got a little tighter during this part of the season. That can't happen this year. Home for Cleveland, on the road to Tampa and Jacksonville. Two & one won't put them in the playoffs. But at least they can enter December at 7-4 and see the playoffs from there. And that's a far better sight than this big elephant we're looking at now.
Old 11-01-2011   #2
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 33080 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand
Default Re: The Elephant in the room (Kubiak's November record)

Is it me or does it feel like Gary this year has gotten rid of his scripted plays? We seem a LOT more effective on the first/second drives in the game this year.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011   #3
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually feels different. The defense is playing well even with injuries. they face two really young QBs, and a thrid that has been hit or miss this year. No dynamic offenses and low possibility for bad weather.

With the Foster and tate running game, as Sunday proved the Texans also don't have to play pretty in 2011. Still because this is the NFL (mostly) and the Texans, I expect them to lose one of the games, just because it (sh) happens.
Old 11-02-2011   #4
Endcoachment
Rookie

Rep Power: 102 Endcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respected

We have the browns up next and while half of their defense is great I believe someone will haves big day. We usually get a win when one of our three has a big day, and a blowout when two of them have a good day. In my opinion Adrian goes off for 210 rushing and receiving. Matt throws for 320, and the Texans win.

Texans over browns 31-10

Tampa is no slouch but I think they aren't as good as people make them out to be. Blount is great at taking advantage of holes but our run defense has been stellar and I look for us to continue this trend. I believe the pass game might take a hit in this game but Adrian and Tate bail us out with 250 combined rushing yards.

Texans over Tampa 26-20, win by 2 field goals.

We have a bye here and with Andre needing the extra time I look for our whole team to be revitalized. The tale of the tape has been horrid losses following the some teams bye week. However with Andre coming back to the lineup Im thinking it ignites a fire under our assets. 2 weeks of great practice and almost everyone returning to form.

Jacksonville is up next again and they will be in it to win it and hopefully to crush the Texans chances of a high seed. I look for Shaub to have his best game this season throwing for over 400 yards in a close game.

28-24 Texans
Endcoachment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011   #5
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 33080 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Actually feels different. The defense is playing well even with injuries. they face two really young QBs, and a thrid that has been hit or miss this year. No dynamic offenses and low possibility for bad weather.

With the Foster and tate running game, as Sunday proved the Texans also don't have to play pretty in 2011. Still because this is the NFL (mostly) and the Texans, I expect them to lose one of the games, just because it (sh) happens.
What feels and shows the most to me is two things, the offense showing some life early in the game. And the defense is starting to show some swagger on the field they are starting to believe in themselves and forcing their will on the other teams. It's good to see for sure.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011   #6
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46138 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endcoachment View Post
In my opinion Adrian goes off for 210 rushing and receiving.

I believe the pass game might take a hit in this game but Adrian and Tate bail us out with 250 combined rushing yards.
Did we sign a new kick ass RB? Awesome!
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011   #7
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34613 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Is it me or does it feel like Gary this year has gotten rid of his scripted plays? We seem a LOT more effective on the first/second drives in the game this year.
The scripts just have been better.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-02-2011   #8
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
The scripts just have been better.
Execution has been better.

Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011   #9
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 32596 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endcoachment View Post
We have the browns up next and while half of their defense is great I believe someone will haves big day. We usually get a win when one of our three has a big day, and a blowout when two of them have a good day. In my opinion Adrian goes off for 210 rushing and receiving. Matt throws for 320, and the Texans win.

Texans over browns 31-10

Tampa is no slouch but I think they aren't as good as people make them out to be. Blount is great at taking advantage of holes but our run defense has been stellar and I look for us to continue this trend. I believe the pass game might take a hit in this game but Adrian and Tate bail us out with 250 combined rushing yards.

Texans over Tampa 26-20, win by 2 field goals.

We have a bye here and with Andre needing the extra time I look for our whole team to be revitalized. The tale of the tape has been horrid losses following the some teams bye week. However with Andre coming back to the lineup Im thinking it ignites a fire under our assets. 2 weeks of great practice and almost everyone returning to form.

Jacksonville is up next again and they will be in it to win it and hopefully to crush the Texans chances of a high seed. I look for Shaub to have his best game this season throwing for over 400 yards in a close game.

28-24 Texans
If JAX scores 24 on the D, we are in DEEP trouble.
Old 11-02-2011   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264425 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
But why have the Texans struggled in November's past? My feeling is that the collars on Kirby just got a little tighter during this part of the season. That can't happen this year.
I think it has to do with other coaches getting recent tape on the Texans. It's easy to say, "Don't bite on the play action." Early in the season. But after you watch 8 weeks of tape, the message kind of sinks in.
Old 11-02-2011   #11
robroy72
Veteran

Rep Power: 6816 robroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respectedrobroy72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubes apparently has something like a 28-3 record when the texans run the ball more than 30 times in a game. Since it sounds like we won't have Andre for a while more, maybe this is the record that will take precedence!
robroy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011   #12
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe relevant in the past but this year November is irrelavant as it includes the bye week and therefor only 3 games, 2 of which the Texans could very easily lose and still be in good shape. The real show-stopper for the 2011 season could be the post-November schedule when we play the last 5 game, atleast 4 of which we should win.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011   #13
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Execution has been better.

Agreed.

This is a good thread. Besides that it's about football, I made a similar post about how the Texans never beat both Titans AND Jaguars in their first games, which are always back to back. Before this year, it ALWAYS broke the Texans back, led them to a losing streak like the one described here.

Except this year, they won both games, are atop the AFC South in dominating fashion and are now on to the easiest portion of their schedule. Oh and there's a bye week and to my knowledge we haven't lost a bye week yet lol....

Who is it, Cleveland, Tampa...a bye...and...the Bengals? Right?

That should be at least 2 wins, well, it SHOULD be 3. I'll take 7-4/8-3.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011   #14
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 36043 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by robroy72 View Post
Kubes apparently has something like a 28-3 record when the texans run the ball more than 30 times in a game. Since it sounds like we won't have Andre for a while more, maybe this is the record that will take precedence!
1) Wade as defensive coordinator
2) Talented offensive players
3) Easy remaining schedule
4) Ultra-weak division
5) Injuries defining offensive game plan

Kubiak Proof!
Old 11-02-2011   #15
redwhiteANDblue
Color of Texans

Rep Power: 5007 redwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Agreed.

This is a good thread. Besides that it's about football, I made a similar post about how the Texans never beat both Titans AND Jaguars in their first games, which are always back to back. Before this year, it ALWAYS broke the Texans back, led them to a losing streak like the one described here.

Except this year, they won both games, are atop the AFC South in dominating fashion and are now on to the easiest portion of their schedule. Oh and there's a bye week and to my knowledge we haven't lost a bye week yet lol....

Haven't lost a bye week yet? How could you forget the string of heart breaking losses in 2009! We went to the colts and it came down to kris browns field goal to tie it up but he missed and we lost 17-20. Then the bye week. After the bye week we had a Monday night game against titans which we lost in the same way! It came down to a kris brown field goal to go to overtime but he missed and we lost 17-20!
Old 11-02-2011   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264425 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post

Cleveland, @Tampa, bye, @Jags.....
Old 11-02-2011   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

In the past the Texans looked outcoached come November. At this time of the year teams have plenty of tape to review and I think that this team doesn't have near as many coaching flaws on defense and Wade has the ability to hide weak players without taking away from the teams strengths. "Finishing" is a theme this year, but "finishing" is merely being opportunistic, aggressive and outmaneuvering the rival coach. I think Kubiak was a slave to his conventions and that hurt him. What I mean by that is that is that he would do stuff like run right into the teeth of the defense on 4th down with a less physical zone blocking unit that had defenders in every gap and pass up a chip shot FG then go on to lose by a point. At the end of the game Kubiak would just rationalize some talking point about how you have to be able to get a yard. Well, that's all great in theory but rationalizations don't get the yard or the win. I think Kubiak still doesn't make great strategic decisions, but it seems like he has learned a little with all his failures....either that or I'm just drinking a little too much of the kewl-aide.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011   #18
XI CMURDER IX
Gig 'em

Rep Power: 1517 XI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know about everyone else, but the new Baconalia menu will be the difference this November.
XI CMURDER IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011   #19
Kthx
All Pro

Section: Bar Table
Rep Power: 8622 Kthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respected

To be fair I have a huge critic of Kubiak, I have wanted him fired for the last three years(ish) but this year his coaching has actually improved somewhat. It seems like every game we are changing up the plays we are running, we might come out one game and toss 5 deep balls to keep the other team honest or we might come out running, we might kill em with the tight ends all game. I know the play calling on downs has been sorta obvious but it seems like game to game Kubiak is really changing how our offense is ran based on the other teams weakness. I am not going to sit here and say hes the coach for the Texans future and is the best coach ever but I have to give credit when it is due here.

Oh and by this I mean I think we will be fine this November despite the past.
Kthx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011   #20
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 287939 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Re: The Elephant in the room (Kubiak's November record)
We are fixing to find out if that elephant is still there. If it is, it needs to be shot, blown up, and the carcass gotten the hell rid of.

But if that elephant has left the room, then we are drinking koolaid and eating doughnuts all the way to the playoffs.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read