Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-01-2011   #61
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Schaub's Awareness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
I crunched the numbers the way Dutch wanted to... I incorrectly calculated Schaib as of having 12 fumbles as a full time starter. He had 13. My bad... I had a "Schaub" deer in headlights moment. No excuses. I should have added that correctly... right?

Schaub... 62 13 = 4.75

Brady... 150 32 = 4.68

Schaub's got the better number despite having a horrid offensive line. Hmm... interesting. I learned something here about Schaub.
I think the Texans OL is head and shoulders better than the Pats OL ..... Brady makes them look a lot better than they are with good footwork , a quick relese and his pocket awareness .... he avoids a lot of pressure that many other QB's dont.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011   #62
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I think the Texans OL is head and shoulders better than the Pats OL ..... Brady makes them look a lot better than they are with good footwork , a quick relese and his pocket awareness .... he avoids a lot of pressure that many other QB's dont.
It is now but not four years ago. We're really enjoying having Duane Brown anchoring that line these days. Brady's definitely more mobile than Schaub... so does that mean Schaub's even more aware than the numbers indicate?
Old 11-01-2011   #63
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It is now but not four years ago. We're really enjoying having Duane Brown anchoring that line these days. Brady's definitely more mobile than Schaub... so does that mean Schaub's even more aware than the numbers indicate?
Maybe ? I know Schaub will throw it away if nothing is available .... be it out of bounds , or in the direction of a reciever rather than taking a hit.

I was just pointing out that every QB is going to make mistakes when under pressure ..... Brees is another example , he quite often tries to make something out of nothing and it often its either a big play or a turnover. Just look at the second half of the game against the Texans this year for a prime example of it. That shovel pass while he was in the process of being tackled was a game changer.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011   #64
House of Pain
Knee-jerkless

Section: 106
Rep Power: 9340 House of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I don't think this is an indictment on Schaub's overall awareness, but yes, he should have gotten rid of the ball sooner. He saw the blitz and stepped away. At that point the ball should have come out. He loaded and hitched and...it was too late. His mistake.

I was more concerned with Matt & Gary's post game quotes.

Schaub on shots down field

Kubiak's Monday presser:

Why did they feel like those deep passes had to be made? The offense had proven they could sustain a drive against the Jags defense. The defense had proven they could stop the Jags from sustaining long drives. Take a shot or two downfield, sure. But continue to force the ball downfield? It wasn't necessary, and it led to a turnover. I didn't get it then, and I don't see their logic, now.
I see how you can read those comments that way. To me, I think that Kubiak is simply saying that had we got those big plays we could have taken control of the game sooner and put it out of reach. I could be wrong.
House of Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011   #65
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Really you are even going to try to compare the two? Carr had 2767 yds which is a significant distance from 3000 yds which is a huge difference from 4200 yards. But here is an easy one to compare dink and dunk against supposedly noodle arm. In 16 games Carr had 25 passes over 20 yards and 3 over 40 yards. In 8 Schaub has 34 over 20 yards and 7 over 40 yards. It ain't just the system.
The point is that even Carr looked semi functional with significantly less overall offensive talent around him.

Where did I compare him to schaub other than saying they played under kubiak in his offense?

The offense in itself is a stat producer.

But still a mistake is a mistake. He could have done a better job on the play in question. Jmo.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011   #66
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I don't think this is an indictment on Schaub's overall awareness, but yes, he should have gotten rid of the ball sooner. He saw the blitz and stepped away. At that point the ball should have come out. He loaded and hitched and...it was too late. His mistake.

I was more concerned with Matt & Gary's post game quotes.

Schaub on shots down field.
Thats pretty much it. He made a mistake. Doesn't mean he sucks.
Old 11-01-2011   #67
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

For me it all comes down to this...

Would a "better" QB have made a better play in the same situation? And I think the answer is 'no.' You can't say someone like Brady or Roethlisburger doesn't make the same mistake because they make similar mistakes to that.

In the game against the Steelers, Brady felt pressure (if he would have looked, he would have seen him) and was slowly stepping backward with the ball in his hand and a Steeler slapped the ball out of his hands. And this is when Brady had both hands on the ball and wasn't even preparing to throw other than looking downfield.

Schaub was in the process of throwing with his arm coming back and he got hit. He fumbled. That happens to QBs, including the great ones, all the time. I don't care if he saw Sessions get blocked or not. He was looking down the field the way he was supposed to and he was preparing to throw.

Now, when a QB is scrambling around with the ball in one hand and it gets slapped out, THAT's when you get ticked off about ball protection. Not when a guy is hit while throwing.

Every QB in the league, except for those so gun-shy about the rush as to be unable to play the position effectively, make the same play there and all of them lose the fumble in that spot. So blaming Schaub for it is setting the performance bar impossibly high and just picking at him to pick at him.

That's my 2 cents.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011   #68
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
For me it all comes down to this...

Would a "better" QB have made a better play in the same situation? And I think the answer is 'no.' You can't say someone like Brady or Roethlisburger doesn't make the same mistake because they make similar mistakes to that.
No QB is perfect. No one said Matt Schaub should be...But to say that another QB wouldn't have made a better play there is not true as a blanket statement IMO. I've seen QB's make better plays plenty of times when they see a blitz coming and/or feel pressure. Hell, I've seen Matt make better decisions under those circumstances.

But that's besides the point. You obviously aknowledge that it was a mistake as evidence of you using the word "mistake"...

Matt doesn't suck and I'd say overall he has good awareness.

But to say that he didn't make a mistake on that one play is not correct IMO.
Old 11-01-2011   #69
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
No QB is perfect. No one said Matt Schaub should be...But to say that another QB wouldn't have made a better play there is not true as a blanket statement IMO. I've seen QB's make better plays plenty of times when they see a blitz coming and/or feel pressure. Hell, I've seen Matt make better decisions under those circumstances.

But that's besides the point. You obviously aknowledge that it was a mistake as evidence of you using the word "mistake"...

Matt doesn't suck and I'd say overall he has good awareness.

But to say that he didn't make a mistake on that one play is not correct IMO.
Ignore me if you like but I'm curious... who do you think said that he didn't make a mistake on that play? I re-read this thread to try and understand your argument here and I still failed.
Old 11-01-2011   #70
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Ignore me if you like but I'm curious... who do you think said that he didn't make a mistake on that play? I re-read this thread to try and understand your argument here and I still failed.
I thought maybe I was tripping...But I wasn't...

Plenty of excuse making for that play other than saying Schaub just made a mistake there....

And I don't have an argument. I just made an observation and gave my opinion.

The argument arose when folks tried to explain away his lapse in judgement there.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read