Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-03-2011   #21
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 154140 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: 1st quarter of season defensive summary

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
In all seriousnessosity, Cody is a stop gap/backup guy forced into playing time. Mitchell isn't the interior pass rusher Wade made him to be either. Both are just good effort guys who try to help the other players tug on the rope. Until they get a solid (preferably big and fat) run stopper at the nose the rush average won't go down. Good news is with Ryans, Cushing, Manning and Quin playing up the middle there isn't a lot of room for would be breakout runs. So it's kind of a "as long as the pass D is good we can live with the runs" deal.
I seriously doubt Wade is satisfied with where this team is defensively, especially when it comes to the run defense.

But Rome wasn't built in a day & Phillips has had a total of what, 8 weeks?

I can't wait to see them play in November.
Old 10-03-2011   #22
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 147467 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I seriously doubt Wade is satisfied with where this team is defensively, especially when it comes to the run defense.

Hmmm... I don't know. Personally, I can't wait to see them play in January and February.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011   #23
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Hmmm... I don't know. Personally, I can't wait to see them play in January and February.
Then we have to beat the Titans at least once this year and it'd be nice to beat one of either Oakland or Baltimore (preferred a win over both).
Old 10-04-2011   #24
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

For sure, the group still has some gellin' to do. But acquiring new skills is probably not among the changes we can expect in the coming months...Neither DT is a run stopping guy OR a solid pass rusher. They're just high effort fellas.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #25
speedfreek
All Pro

Rep Power: 15013 speedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respectedspeedfreek is a quality contributor and well respected

the Texans are 4th in scoring defense. That's all that
matters.

I don't care if they give up 1,000 yds/game passing or
rushing or whatever.

If they continue to only give up 17.5 points per game
they are going to win a LOT of games

TJ
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #26
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

The defense is better than I hoped given there were no OTAs and they had to try to pick it all up in camp. I think Wade is adding new looks all the time and the defense is only going to get better.

This unit believes in itself, which is huge.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #27
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3846 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected

If you take away Saints game they are only allowing 10 ppg.
If you take away only the 4th quarter of the Saints game, they are averaging only 13 ppg.

I know you can't do that but looking at the rest of the schedule we should end up with a top5 defense, barring injuries.
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #28
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 5174 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
the Texans are 4th in scoring defense. That's all that
matters.

I don't care if they give up 1,000 yds/game passing or
rushing or whatever.

If they continue to only give up 17.5 points per game
they are going to win a LOT of games

TJ
I'd imagine we'd be first if we didn't have 2 Td's called back by penalties!
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #29
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39734 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Some thoughts on our defense so far

Like I said from the beginning;

As long as this team is between 10-17 in total defense, we'll be more than fine.

But if this keeps going, we can even be higher than that! That's amazing.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #30
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 25128 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Until they get a solid (preferably big and fat) run stopper at the nose the rush average won't go down.
Except that's not how Wade rolls. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's said it, but he likes his NTs athletic and a little on the, ummm...slimmer side.

But I mean, hey, Wade might get a nudge from Kubiak to head in that direction and/or the FO. Hell, there might be a big ol' NT in the draft that's 350+ and sprints like lightning.

But that's not today. So I worry.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011   #31
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

The two biggest stats is #4 in ppg and +24.2 in passer rating differential. If we can stay among the top in those, we could very well be SB bound.
Old 10-04-2011   #32
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

One of the biggest things is that the D is not giving up the big play...

Touchdowns of 3, 12, 30, 27, 16, and 13 yards.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011   #33
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

1st half stats are as follows, with comparison to 1st quarter

Quote:
As of right now (before the MNF game) the Texans D is ranked
1. 10th overall in yards per game
2. 10th in pass yards per game
3. 15th in rush yards per game
Now
1. 3rd in overall yards per game
2. 5th in pass yards per game
3. 6th in rush yards per game

Quote:
Looking at more accurate metrics, we are ranked
1. 7th in QB rating against
2. 27th in rush yards per attempt
3. 4th in points per game
4. 18th in 3rd down %
5. 8th in turnover differential
1. 3rd in QB rating against
2. 17th in rush yards per attempt
3. 5th in points per game
4. 4th in 3rd down %
5. 5th in turnover differential

Quote:
What I think it means:
First of all, we have played 1 terrible team (Colts), 1 below average team (Miami), 1 above average team (Steelers), and 1 excellent team (Saints).
Our numbers should be pretty accurate/balanced from this point on because we've played a pretty balanced looking schedule.

Second, our pass defense is much improved over past seasons. The reasons in my mind are better corner and safety play, better pass rush, better use of hands. The last one is particularly important. The texans traditionally give up a very high completion percentage to opposing QBs. With hands in the air, we've given up only 55% completion, good 7th in the NFL.

Our run defense has looked pretty porous. ~5 yards per carry is pretty bad. I was pleasantly surprised to see us shut down Mendenhall, but then worried by how badly the Steeler backups gashed us.

What do I think it means now? I think we have a legitimate top 10 defensive team. The numbers have gotten even better than through the first quarter and in the 2nd quarter we played Oakland, Ravens, Titans, Jaguars

No elite QBs certainly, but Hassleback was rated as one of the best performers this year by ESPNs new QB metric and was terrible against us. Raiders, Ravens and Jags all have excellent run games.

Just thought that Id give an update
Old 10-31-2011   #34
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the recap.
Are those numbers 1st qtr vs 2nd qtr
or
1st qtr vs overall 1st half?

So the run D is doing better even against better running team.
Should we have big concerns about our NTs?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011   #35
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Thanks for the recap.
or

1st quarter vs 1st half overall
Old 10-31-2011   #36
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 147467 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Thanks for the recap.
or

Yeah, 1st quarter vs. 1st half means that our defense has been playing lights out the 2nd quarter.

I guess I'll have to admit I was totally and completely wrong in my fears about the NT spot.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011   #37
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39734 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Unreal the turnaround.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011   #38
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Yeah, 1st quarter vs. 1st half means that our defense has been playing lights out the 2nd quarter.

I guess I'll have to admit I was totally and completely wrong in my fears about the NT spot.
You can thank Phillips for the improved run stopping. It looks like he saw the weakness and adjusted for it by calling more run blitzes. We blitz ~56% of the time and a lot of them appear designed to stop the run 1st and get to the qb 2nd. All in all, our D is rockin and I love it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read