Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-30-2011   #41
gwallaia

Rep Power: 82734 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Truest schaub statment ever !

Does Schaub ever audible?

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011   #42
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 119552 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

I have seen him audible to a run/change direction of the run a few times. but thats about it
Old 10-30-2011   #43
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
Does Schaub ever audible?
Depends on what you mean by "audible."

Every play that's called is actually a couple of plays: the main play and one or two alternatives. When Schaub gets to the line, he can read the defense and switch to one of the other plays if they're in the wrong defense. The way the offense is designed, it's supposed to be able to handle/react to different defenses and still be successful.

So it's not like he goes up and has the whole playbook at his fingertips.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011   #44
Lucky

Rep Power: 180779 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Bad Matt showed up again, today. That's good enough to beat Blaine Gabbert. Probably Colt McCoy. It won't be good enough when facing Josh Freeman, Matt Ryan, or even Andy Dalton. Schaub has to step it up.
Old 10-30-2011   #45
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24061 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

dumb.
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011   #46
Lucky

Rep Power: 180779 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS4MARIO View Post
dumb.
Succinct.
Old 10-30-2011   #47
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 119552 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

he over threw alot today, you think maybe because he is used to throwing those to AJ and he could pull them in ??? i dunno a lot of overthrows though.
Old 10-30-2011   #48
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Well, it looks like OD needs to work on his routes a little more. He was taking them one step to far, making it look like Schaub was underthrowing him.

I will say, this was Schaub's third game, in a row, without an INT......
Old 10-31-2011   #49
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Depends on what you mean by "audible."

Every play that's called is actually a couple of plays: the main play and one or two alternatives. When Schaub gets to the line, he can read the defense and switch to one of the other plays if they're in the wrong defense. The way the offense is designed, it's supposed to be able to handle/react to different defenses and still be successful.

So it's not like he goes up and has the whole playbook at his fingertips.
I don't think it's "every play".

Maybe a few times during the game they give him that option, but I dont think schaub has the option to change any play when he walks to the line.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011   #50
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't think it's "every play".

Maybe a few times during the game they give him that option, but I dont think schaub has the option to change any play when he walks to the line.
From Kubiak's press conferences and his explanation of the whole "audible" thing, it has sounded like every play is set up that way to me. Kubiak doesn't call the "audibles".
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011   #51
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the comparison to Aikman. Its true that Schaub...right this second.. is not an all-star QB that will go down in history. He isnt Manning or Brady.. but look at the other quarterbacks that have seen the superbowl in recent history.

Roethlisburger
Little Manning
Hasselbeck
McNabb
Delhomme
Rex freakin Grossman

Schaub is as good or better than these guys. Drew Brees is another guy that has made it to the superbowl..and id say he is just one notch above schaub. More consistant.. more accurate...but not in a way that blows schaub out of the water.

We can go to the bowl with Schaub. I would not be opposed to looking at other young QBs and grooming them...seeing if we cant get lucky and find his successor. But im also not worried about this team with schaub at the helm. He is solid, and really.. in this league.. you are REALLY lucky if you have a QB that you can call solid.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011   #52
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
From Kubiak's press conferences and his explanation of the whole "audible" thing, it has sounded like every play is set up that way to me. Kubiak doesn't call the "audibles".
I know kubiak doesn't call them.

Most likely during the week they go over formations that the opponent runs and they go over what plays they think work well against those formations/personnel groupings. Also they'd go over what plays they don't want to run against certain formations.

If Matt gets one of those looks he can make an opposite call or change to a specific play that they have already discussed.

What im saying is that I dont think Matt is picking one of two or three plays everytime or even most times he goes to the line.

If you give him that much freedom might as well let him be able to change to any play.

I think it's laid out for him pretty well.

'we know they run this, so when you see it do this if we have this called'.

And that's not a knock on Matt, that's just how offenses work.
Old 10-31-2011   #53
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been wondering if Schaub is under orders not to do much scrambling since his 1st 2 years were full of injuries. Kubiak has also become a hard-ass on fumblers. I've see Schaub move around in the pocket, look good doing it, then take a dive like thos 2 Giant players did with the fake injury. I don't think he's the most agile of QB's, but he seems to be more limited by coaching that physical talent. Kubiak seems to be a bit of a control freak, and doesn't want to see a Big Ben type scrambling around, taking big hits unnecessarily and having more opportunities to fumble or throw an INT.
Old 10-31-2011   #54
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I've been wondering if Schaub is under orders not to do much scrambling since his 1st 2 years were full of injuries. Kubiak has also become a hard-ass on fumblers. I've see Schaub move around in the pocket, look good doing it, then take a dive like thos 2 Giant players did with the fake injury. I don't think he's the most agile of QB's, but he seems to be more limited by coaching that physical talent. Kubiak seems to be a bit of a control freak, and doesn't want to see a Big Ben type scrambling around, taking big hits unnecessarily and having more opportunities to fumble or throw an INT.
What I know is that before the 2010 season, Kubiak had said that he would like for Schaub to be a little more active in taking what the defense gives him in term of running. If it's there, he wants Schaub to take it (but always be smart about it).
76Texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011   #55
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 270486 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Well, it looks like OD needs to work on his routes a little more. He was taking them one step to far, making it look like Schaub was underthrowing him.

I will say, this was Schaub's third game, in a row, without an INT......
I don't know how we can assess that unless we sneak into their practices or have a copy of the playbook and see how those plays, more specifically, everyone's pass routes, are designed. Having said that, I don't know if you're correct or not since I don't attend the practices nor have a copy of the playbook either. It just seems to me that those kinds of things need to be ironed out in practice or on Mondays when they go over the game films.

Another possibility is that the LBs and/or DBs are disrupting the routes - i.e., knocking the guys a yard or two deeper than the play/route is designed to go. That's one way to really screw up an offense that relies on timing routes and routes that are designed for the QB to throw to a spot and for the receiver to be in that spot when the ball arrives.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011   #56
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
To me it seems like shammy has been buying time with his feet more this year.
Old 10-31-2011   #57
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I know kubiak doesn't call them.

Most likely during the week they go over formations that the opponent runs and they go over what plays they think work well against those formations/personnel groupings. Also they'd go over what plays they don't want to run against certain formations.

If Matt gets one of those looks he can make an opposite call or change to a specific play that they have already discussed.
I think that is pretty much the way "the system" works. Which really isn't too different from other "systems" the biggest difference is that we don't have to change formations so much when we move from one play to another.

I rarely see a play that gets stuffed because it was the wrong call. The bad thing about it is that every body has to be on the same page, which more times than not, we happen to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I don't know how we can assess that unless we sneak into their practices or have a copy of the playbook and see how those plays, more specifically, everyone's pass routes, are designed. Having said that, I don't know if you're correct or not since I don't attend the practices nor have a copy of the playbook either. It just seems to me that those kinds of things need to be ironed out in practice or on Mondays when they go over the game films.

Another possibility is that the LBs and/or DBs are disrupting the routes - i.e., knocking the guys a yard or two deeper than the play/route is designed to go. That's one way to really screw up an offense that relies on timing routes and routes that are designed for the QB to throw to a spot and for the receiver to be in that spot when the ball arrives.
I agree, I'm taking a sarcastic stab at all the guys saying, "Jacoby runs slopy routes." We don't know what his routes were supposed to be & once the ball snaps, you have to adjust to what's happening on the field.

Matt was under a lot of pressure again yesterday & his throwing showed it.
Old 10-31-2011   #58
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Compared to having Captain Mittens QBing our team, I think Schaub's a massive steal for a couple second rounders.

I'd trade him for Cam Newton though.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read