Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-25-2011   #1
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Can our receivers handle man coverage?

Watched the MNF game, and I began to wonder if our receiving options could beat the coverage schemes Jacksonville deployed against the Ravens. I'm not very familiar with Mel Tucker's tendencies as a DC, but Jacksonville has done a decent job on other decent offenses (Saints, Ravens, Carolina). Mathis is playing, eh better than usual this year and it looks like they have a young star in Derek Cox in the back end. Daryl Smith has been a good playmaker for them as an LB and their two DT's are both having decent years. I still like our chances in this game, although the 9.5 Vegas is giving us seems like a bit much. If there's a lot of good inside pressure in Schaub's face it could be one of those long grueling games that makes us question how good the Texans really are, even in a win. I do wonder though if Jacoby and Walter can make Jacksonville pay for focusing most of their attention on stopping Arian Foster.

I think we'll probably have to do most of our damage through the air, and if that is the case I hope that Daniels, Dreesen and Foster are ready to challenge the middle of the Jags defense.

Also, would be typical of the Texans to lose a game at home to these guys right after a great win in the division.
Old 10-25-2011   #2
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 63845 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Can our receivers handle man coverage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Watched the MNF game, and I began to wonder if our receiving options could beat the coverage schemes Jacksonville deployed against the Ravens. I'm not very familiar with Mel Tucker's tendencies as a DC, but Jacksonville has done a decent job on other decent offenses (Saints, Ravens, Carolina). Mathis is playing, eh better than usual this year and it looks like they have a young star in Derek Cox in the back end. Daryl Smith has been a good playmaker for them as an LB and their two DT's are both having decent years. I still like our chances in this game, although the 9.5 Vegas is giving us seems like a bit much. If there's a lot of good inside pressure in Schaub's face it could be one of those long grueling games that makes us question how good the Texans really are, even in a win. I do wonder though if Jacoby and Walter can make Jacksonville pay for focusing most of their attention on stopping Arian Foster.

I think we'll probably have to do most of our damage through the air, and if that is the case I hope that Daniels, Dreesen and Foster are ready to challenge the middle of the Jags defense.

Also, would be typical of the Texans to lose a game at home to these guys right after a great win in the division.
Please oh please let Jacksonville work man coverage against Andre Johnson, Owen Daniels, Foster and James Casey. It would be shooting cats in a cage....

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #3
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
Please oh please let Jacksonville work man coverage against Andre Johnson, Owen Daniels, Foster and James Casey. It would be shooting cats in a cage....
It's possible that's the kind of scheme they play if Andre/Casey is out. If Andre is back in, this becomes less of an issue, but they just might try Derek Cox on Andre, and gamble that he's not healthy enough to accomplish what he would do if he was 100% healthy.
Old 10-25-2011   #4
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

AJ is supposed to practice this week. It'd be presumptive to count him out already.
Old 10-25-2011   #5
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
AJ is supposed to practice this week. It'd be presumptive to count him out already.
It would be presumptive, but I don't think that if he plays he's going to be the exact same player he was 4 weeks ago either. I imagine the Jags defense is probably going to attempt to cover our outside receiving options with single players while their fairly large defense line tries to crash down on Schaub and Foster.
Old 10-25-2011   #6
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
IMO the Texans have better overall offense AND better overall individual talent. If AJ plays (which I doubt) we've got him and Foster who are better than their best player: Ray Rice. AJ > Boldin but > Walter or Jones. Schaub is obviously better than Flacco and I can't even name who their TE is so OD wins. The Jags made few mistakes against a bad offense who couldn't hardly hold on to the ball, let alone score it.

Quote:
Disagree. We just put 2 runners in triple digits. Hats off to Jax for roughing up one little RB and 34 year old Ricky Williams. Here's last year's leading rusher and a guy in his inaugural season who has about as many 100 yard games as games played. They're both big, strong, pounding runners and if they get tired? Derrick Ward. Frankly I'd like to see them smashmouth the Jags like they did to Tennessee. Another game for Schaub to pick and choose his spots, stay clean and let this ground game tear another hole through another defense.
Quote:
So very true. I made quite a long post about this actually. This situation comes up every single year. Titans/Jags back to back and EVERY SINGLE TIME it has broken the Texans backs. IF this year is really any different, we'll see another 41-7 game full of big hits, touchdowns and blitzes!! It would be the first of many things, mainly the first time they've ever beaten these two division teams in a row.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #7
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-25-2011   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

ummmmm........Yeah....

If a team consistently manned up on us we'd eat them alive...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #9
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 84010 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Schaub is obviously better than Flacco and I can't even name who their TE is so OD wins.
Ed Dickson. Second year player, one of my favourite prospects from that draft.

But, he is nowhere as good as a healthy OD.
Old 10-25-2011   #10
dinkatoid
Veteran

Rep Power: 628 dinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respected

Jacksonville's DTs are good, but both are known as run stuffers, not pass rushers. Both have graded rather negatively over at profootballfocus.com for their pass rushing skills. I am not really worried about their pressure, and even though they did great vs Balt, I think that was more about them being able to stop the pass so they could key in on the run. I am sure we can give them more fits with our run game, as our O line is much better than the Ravens
Old 10-25-2011   #11
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Keep in mind that the Jags have sucked for the last two years, and that fact didn't
prevent them from going 4-0 on the Texans. Don't forget about the Texans
not being able to stop MJD on 15 straight carries and three 1st downs to ice the game.

The Texans sleep on the Jags, they will lose. I wanna see that focused intensity
from last week on Sunday.
Old 10-26-2011   #12
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm one who was actually a bit happy Jville beat Baltimore on MNF. A) It put a hurt on Baltimore's conference wins and if we take care of our business could go a long way in us playing with some homefield.
B) Texans got to see what can happen when you sleep on a team. You just got your butt handed to you by Baltimore and Jville handed them their butt because Baltimore didn't think Jville came to play. Plain and simple, you got to get to work and you gotta handle your business.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read