Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-25-2011   #121
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jacoby Jones is just not a good WR

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I watched it repeatedly. He didn't. He stood there for a second, so maybe he was calculating the pros and cons, LOL. Then he just jumped backward out of the way. He's just not a physical player at all, even for a WR. But if I'm being nice, maybe I'll just upgrade my criticism to he has no instinct for the game.
I don't think I would put anything on JJ on this play.
A few years ago, I mentioned that all of our WRs (including AJ, Walter, and JJ) and O.D. need to improve on their blocking.
They all did; I don't think this is a weak part of our offense anymore.

On this play, Walter ran a quick slant from the other side while JJ ran a comebacker in the seam (he probably adjust to a fade if Walter wasn't open.)

At any rate, JJ had to think about his own route as he turned back.
When he did (very shortly after he turned back, and only then) he can see 3 defenders converging on Walter (the deep safety who originally stayed back to help the LCB on JJ, the other safety who had come down to play the run, and the RCB who was covering Walter.)

On top of that, JJ can't tell wheter Walter wants to continue on toward the sideline or turn upfield.

Things were happening quickly; I don't think JJ had enough time to do anything there.

I can post the screen shots if you want me to.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011   #122
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Here they are, at any rate.

http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/...0Half/O%20101/
Old 10-25-2011   #123
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 237178 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
How do you get your screen shots? NFL Rewind?
Old 10-25-2011   #124
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
How do you get your screen shots? NFL Rewind?
With vlc media player:
http://www.vlc.cc/jump/download-the-...keywords&pk=27

It has a simple button to take a screen shot.
You can play the file at slow speed (.25 or .12 or .06 or .03 - whatever speed a particular file can be played at) to capture more shots in sequence by clicking that button repeatedly.
Old 10-25-2011   #125
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think I would put anything on JJ on this play.
A few years ago, I mentioned that all of our WRs (including AJ, Walter, and JJ) and O.D. need to improve on their blocking.
They all did; I don't think this is a weak part of our offense anymore.

On this play, Walter ran a quick slant from the other side while JJ ran a comebacker in the seam (he probably adjust to a fade if Walter wasn't open.)

At any rate, JJ had to think about his own route as he turned back.
When he did (very shortly after he turned back, and only then) he can see 3 defenders converging on Walter (the deep safety who originally stayed back to help the LCB on JJ, the other safety who had come down to play the run, and the RCB who was covering Walter.)

On top of that, JJ can't tell wheter Walter wants to continue on toward the sideline or turn upfield.

Things were happening quickly; I don't think JJ had enough time to do anything there.

JJ also had some excellent blocks in the run game. He is what he is.
Old 10-25-2011   #126
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 237178 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
With vlc media player:
http://www.vlc.cc/jump/download-the-...keywords&pk=27

It has a simple button to take a screen shot.
You can play the file at slow speed (.25 or .12 or .06 or .03 - whatever speed a particular file can be played at) to capture more shots in sequence by clicking that button repeatedly.
So how do you get the game on your computer? NFL Rewind?
Old 10-25-2011   #127
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So how do you get the game on your computer? NFL Rewind?

There are different ways.

I have a tuner card that I get the TV signal off and record the game.
There are other ways, I'm not sure I know them all, but I had mentioned at least one of them before.

I'll PM you.
Old 10-25-2011   #128
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
How could you honestly say that JJ wasn't a wasted 3rd rounder? Hell, the guy would be a wasted 6th rounder. He hasn't done jack to make the Texans a winner. He has just been an inconsistent pest on this team that the coaching staff and fans keep glimmering at with all of these false hopes as if he's going to turn into some star when he has never shown any consistency to do that. A wasted pick is a wasted pick no matter what round you're in.
You've seen that many 6th round WRs that have put up the number of catches, yards and TDs as he has, have you?

He was going to be a PROJECT. He's still (much to my dismay) a work in progress. A starter from a 3rd rounder is all you can ask in the NFL. Think back to the Texans WRs of "old"...other than AJ, who is he really worse than? Gaffney is a roleplayer for every team he's gone to (and drafter HIGHER I might add).

I was one of those folks that got excited in '09 when they used Jacoby to stretch the field. He was VERY successful when used that way. They changed the way they used him, his success went down. Whose fault is that?
Old 10-25-2011   #129
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
That's how I feel too. There are points in a season where you absolutely, positively need one yard and everyone in the stadium, including the people in the luxury boxes talking business and not paying attention to the game knows you're gonna run. Failure kills a game winning drive and throws your entire season into jeapordy.

Vonta Leach was made for those plays. He wasn't born, he was forged by the gods to put a bruise on somebody's ass every time he hit them. I just think your team gets collectively weaker from not being in that mans presence every day.

I'd have signed Plaxico in a heartbeat, told Jacoby he could take my very minimal offer to come back and return punts, and signed Leach. That set of moves was entirely possible and affordable. A blind GM could have seen their way to doing that. Best of all worlds right there on the table and all Gary/Rick had to do was get over the inexplicable Jacoby Love they shared.

Not a doubt in my mind that we'd be 5-2 right now had they done that. Possibly even 6-1.
"he was forged by the gods to put a bruise on somebody's ass every time he hit them"

I dig your descriptions!

Agree completely about your GM moves. Anyone doubting Plaxico just needs to take a look at his THREE touchdowns last Sunday. Dude still had a lot left in his tank, and H-town was high on his list.

Plaxico + Leach >>>> Jacoby Jones

Quote:
Here they are, at any rate.
I honestly thought you had repeated frame 2. Jacoby looks frozen, and it's only when I looked at the other players did I realize they were moving.

I won't comment about JJ on that play, though. Like you said, time moves quickly so there is no telling his assignment or what he saw when the action was happening in real time.
Old 10-25-2011   #130
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

I honestly thought you had repeated frame 2. Jacoby looks frozen, and it's only when I looked at the other players did I realize they were moving.

I won't comment about JJ on that play, though. Like you said, time moves quickly so there is no telling his assignment or what he saw when the action was happening in real time.
Understandable!

JJ was in much the same boat as the LCB who was covering him.
These two guys are concerned with their primary task first (running the route and defending the route, respectively.)

The other 3 defenders were doing the same thing: taking on their primary task.
The deep safety watched the QB and moved downhill on the throw; the run-defend safety reverted back into coverage; the RCB was following Walter.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read