Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-08-2005   #41
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Don't you understand he suppose to play where Capers thinks he should play, not where you think the best place for him should be. I don't understand where your coming from. You know Capers knows best...........Right!!!!!!!!!!
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005   #42
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

When taken with past events I can only conclude the following things from all of this.
This organization can never be trusted to tell the truth where injuries are concerned. Now you could say that is true to some extent with every team in the NFL, NBA, and MLB but I think the Texans are a bit over the line (or at least what I consider to be "the line") when it comes to reporting injuries or, really to be honest reporting any sort of event that one might normally find out about through the press or from the team itself. When they tell you that someone is going to "compete for a job" for example (Wand, Riley) they're lying. I don't know if Babin's injury is what they say it is or isn't what they say it is. Based on everything I've seen to date I can't tell if a move (of any kind) is legitimate or if it's just spin to keep the fans smiling and thinking positive.

Starting with Boselli we've heard story after story about all kinds of players on this team. Just look at Wand alone. At first he was an exciting prospect who needed a lot of work, then he was the starting LT who was way ahead of where the team expected him to be. Later he was the guy who probably got greenlighted to start a year early. Then he became the guy who was going to have to compete for his job with Victor Riley. Finally he turned out to be the guy who got replaced by a journeyman after about 13 seconds of "competition" for his job. Looking back I'm surprised "an injury" didn't factor into that roller coaster ride as well. Much of what has happened with Wand directly contradicts other things that have happened with Wand.

We got weird info when Buchanon was aquired too. Not much that was said about Aaron Glenn turned out to be true at that time.

I'm just starting to feel like the Texans are more likely to lie to me about anything they do than tell the truth. Maybe that's odd but that's what it seems like to me.
Old 10-08-2005   #43
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans | Babin Suffers Torn Labrum from www.kffl.com
Fri, 7 Oct 2005 22:21:56 -0700

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Houston Texans LB Jason Babin (shoulder) has a torn labrum that might require season-ending surgery. Babin will wait a few weeks to see if it improves on its own before deciding on having surgery.

From what I am finding on the net, a few weeks rest could work, just depends on the severity of the injury and location of the tear. This could be really bad though...

LINK

Until the final diagnosis is made, your physician may prescribe anti-inflammatory medication and rest to relieve symptoms. Rehabilitation exercises to strengthen the rotator cuff muscles may also be recommended. If these conservative measures are insufficient, your physician may recommend arthroscopic surgery.

After surgery, you will need to keep your shoulder in a sling for three to four weeks. Your physician will also prescribe gentle, passive, pain-free range-of-motion exercises. When the sling is removed, you will need to do motion and flexibility exercises and gradually start to strengthen your biceps. Athletes can usually begin doing sports-specific exercises after six weeks, although it will be three to four months before the shoulder is fully healed.

LINK

The San Francisco Giants' Robb Nen, one of the best relief pitchers in baseball, had off-season surgery in 2002 to "clean up loose particles" in his shoulder. What Nen didn't know is that he had a torn labrum, the fearsome modern baseball injury that strikes down pitchers quickly, stealthily, and painfully. Eighteen months and three surgeries later, Nen is still waiting to throw his next major-league pitch. The leading minds in baseball medicine are flummoxed by the labrum. Doctors can't agree on how to detect a tear, don't know the best way to fix one, and aren't sure why, almost without fail, a torn labrum will destroy a pitcher's career.
Old 10-08-2005   #44
AlexVanderpool
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
The Chronicle article said that the coaches didn't know the extent of the injury until they reviewed the Steelers game film and saw that he was basically playing with one arm. Apparently Babin didn't let on to the extent of the injury. I heard Casserly say yesterday that he (Casserly, and I would presume Babin) were aware of the injury all the way back to the practice sessions against the Raiders in preseason but the party line now is that they weren't aware of the severity.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printsto...sports/3387619
Yet more proof of the ineptness of our gm and coaching staff.
AlexVanderpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005   #45
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexVanderpool
Yet more proof of the ineptness of our gm and coaching staff.
Yeah, if Babin does have to have season ending surgery, heads should roll. This one is all on the coaching staff.
Old 10-09-2005   #46
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

COULD it be, that Babin did not explain to the coaches the full extend of his injury but tried to downplay it to stay on the field? At least that's how I see this whole thing. Ofcourse it's way easier to portray Babin as the poor young player FORCED to play with injuries by the coaches, at least it's easier if one attempts to connect every Texan problem with the coaching staff. I'm sure that if the toilets at the Reliant stadium does not flush, we should fire Capers and casserly since it's obviously their fault?
Malloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005   #47
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Texans | Babin Suffers Torn Labrum from www.kffl.com
Fri, 7 Oct 2005 22:21:56 -0700

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Houston Texans LB Jason Babin (shoulder) has a torn labrum that might require season-ending surgery. Babin will wait a few weeks to see if it improves on its own before deciding on having surgery.

From what I am finding on the net, a few weeks rest could work, just depends on the severity of the injury and location of the tear. This could be really bad though...

LINK

Until the final diagnosis is made, your physician may prescribe anti-inflammatory medication and rest to relieve symptoms. Rehabilitation exercises to strengthen the rotator cuff muscles may also be recommended. If these conservative measures are insufficient, your physician may recommend arthroscopic surgery.

After surgery, you will need to keep your shoulder in a sling for three to four weeks. Your physician will also prescribe gentle, passive, pain-free range-of-motion exercises. When the sling is removed, you will need to do motion and flexibility exercises and gradually start to strengthen your biceps. Athletes can usually begin doing sports-specific exercises after six weeks, although it will be three to four months before the shoulder is fully healed.

LINK

The San Francisco Giants' Robb Nen, one of the best relief pitchers in baseball, had off-season surgery in 2002 to "clean up loose particles" in his shoulder. What Nen didn't know is that he had a torn labrum, the fearsome modern baseball injury that strikes down pitchers quickly, stealthily, and painfully. Eighteen months and three surgeries later, Nen is still waiting to throw his next major-league pitch. The leading minds in baseball medicine are flummoxed by the labrum. Doctors can't agree on how to detect a tear, don't know the best way to fix one, and aren't sure why, almost without fail, a torn labrum will destroy a pitcher's career.
The only thing I would add is that many players (mostly on the line) have this injury to varying degrees. If it isn't too bad a tear they typically play through it and it isn't considered worth reporting.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005   #48
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
When taken with past events I can only conclude the following things from all of this.
This organization can never be trusted to tell the truth where injuries are concerned. Now you could say that is true to some extent with every team in the NFL, NBA, and MLB but I think the Texans are a bit over the line (or at least what I consider to be "the line") when it comes to reporting injuries or, really to be honest reporting any sort of event that one might normally find out about through the press or from the team itself. When they tell you that someone is going to "compete for a job" for example (Wand, Riley) they're lying. I don't know if Babin's injury is what they say it is or isn't what they say it is. Based on everything I've seen to date I can't tell if a move (of any kind) is legitimate or if it's just spin to keep the fans smiling and thinking positive.

Starting with Boselli we've heard story after story about all kinds of players on this team. Just look at Wand alone. At first he was an exciting prospect who needed a lot of work, then he was the starting LT who was way ahead of where the team expected him to be. Later he was the guy who probably got greenlighted to start a year early. Then he became the guy who was going to have to compete for his job with Victor Riley. Finally he turned out to be the guy who got replaced by a journeyman after about 13 seconds of "competition" for his job. Looking back I'm surprised "an injury" didn't factor into that roller coaster ride as well. Much of what has happened with Wand directly contradicts other things that have happened with Wand.

We got weird info when Buchanon was aquired too. Not much that was said about Aaron Glenn turned out to be true at that time.

I'm just starting to feel like the Texans are more likely to lie to me about anything they do than tell the truth. Maybe that's odd but that's what it seems like to me.
This is a good post. I used to think this team (front office) just played things closer to the vest than others, but the misinformation coming out time after time seems more like flat out lies now.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005   #49
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

"But the coaching staff failed to discern the underlying seriousness of
this injury that involved a first round draft pick." --nunusguy

----------------------------------------

IMO,

You can't hang this one on the coaches or physical trainers.

To think that a coach or a trainer "knew" exactly what the injury was, and yet continued to play Babin is absurd. They knew he was hurt, but they probably thought it was strained or bruised, etc. Until you get a good, long look at it over the course of many weeks and how it responds to treatment...most trainers ( I would think) would think it's just soreness from being aggrevated during gameplay. And if a player poo-poo's it and acts like it's no big deal, then it only makes the trainer's job more difficult. At some point, the trainers wised up and did whatever tests they needed to do because they were suspiscious that it might be something more serious than normal wear and tear. You guys are acting like they did this test months ago and they marched him out onto the field "knowing" he was damaged goods.

So when McNabb played on a broken leg/foot for most of the game, and it was later revealed that he had a broken leg/foot...but they didn't know it at the time...it's the trainer's fault because he KNEW that his leg/foot was broken, but the coaching staff made him play on it?

It's one thing to attack a coaching staff for poor game planning, strategy, playcalling, situational management, etc. I am ALL ABOARD in blaming this team's coaching staff for a poor job of coaching. But to take the blame a step further and paint the coaches as some sort of sick-minded, "play a player through major injury when they KNEW the player was badly injured" is going too far.

Those coaches and physical trainers are people like you and me, and they're not going to play around with someone's health if they know playing the player will cause severe long-term injury. Babin wasn't sooooo good that the coaches needed to hide a severe injury from him to keep his 2.5 sacks and 10 tackles per game in tact.

Babin is as useful now as he was when he was perfectly healthy. So we're not "losing anything" if he's out for the rest of the season. I'm all about hanging the blame on the coaches or management for drafting the guy, but I think this accusation is a little overkill.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read