Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-19-2011   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default On Judas Priest and the Houston Texans

The worse the Texans play, the more digressive my blog posts get usually. It's my technique to not bore myself or become overly bitter and nasty. That's not to say I don't get extremely upset with losing but who wants to hang around boring, bitter, nasty people-not me. Sports is supposed to be fun. Have to appreciate journeys, not just the destination.

So with this in mind, I am sharing the following blog post:

On Judas Priest becoming themselves. And interesting Texans stuff too.

It talks about Judas Priest, defining moments, and various Kubiak/Schaub stats that point both for and against Same Old Texans stuff. Oh and also my tilting at windmills trying to get the Texans to play better music on gameday.

My goal for most blog posts is to write about stuff you don't already know or maybe makes people think of things in different ways. I enjoyed writing this blog post because I enjoy any blog post where I learn things while I'm writing it. I knew I wanted to put that table together but I had little idea of what it would say.

Hope you like it too.
Old 10-19-2011   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: On Judas Priest and the Houston Texans

TC, can you please reference my song. The other one is good and I don't want to take anything away from a fellow Texan fan and artist but I would say that by including the players in his song, he has dated this song. Above all those players aren't future jersey retirement players save for Andre Johnson. My song on the other hand speaks of being a Texan and being a Texan fan and is not dated.
http://www.myspace.com/eltejanoakarickyd
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #3
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Hmmm, I'm not a historian or even fan of Judas Priest, but I get where you're coming from with the "digression"...

After the game Sunday night my two friends and I sat outside drinking the last of our weekend beers/drinks and were going over the game and our Texans... it actually got a little heated for a second, and came close to getting personal when we all realized it and shut the Texans conversation down... We pretty much had to act fake for a bit and try to ignore what had just happened by bring real life up... "So are you and your wife going to try again, or is another spoiled girl just not worth the chance at a boy?" (said with humor of course, in an effort to change the subject)... I can't lie, it got very weird there, but it's all good now of course...

anyway, that's pretty much how you have to do it: digress (i used to be bad at not doing that)... sure, hash it out for a little bit, but move along... In life there is plenty that you absolutely "have" to worry about... I try not to make the Texans one more... sure, If I wanna worry about 'em for a bit it's cool, but I can't just sit there and dwell in it for multiple days after a disapointing loss...

And for a minute just imagine this: You wake up one morning and everything is pretty much the same except for one thing: Eddie Rabbit never existed, and Bob Dylan sang "Driving My Life Away"!

"oooooooooooHOHOOOOHHHHH, drivin' my life aWWWWayyyyyyyyyy"

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #4
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63941 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Stephanie, I was at the Priest show in San Antonio last week, and if you think Halford's jacket is outrageous in that picture, you should have seen the wardrobe changes he made between every song. The set was over two hours long, and he had an outfit for each song. I've never seen so many lasers, pyrotechniques, and smoke at a concert before. It fits their style of metal.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #5
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 92750 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

WOW ... awesome stuff Steph! I am a lifelong JP fan.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #6
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
TC, can you please reference my song. The other one is good and I don't want to take anything away from a fellow Texan fan and artist but I would say that by including the players in his song, he has dated this song. Above all those players aren't future jersey retirement players save for Andre Johnson. My song on the other hand speaks of being a Texan and being a Texan fan and is not dated.
http://www.myspace.com/eltejanoakarickyd
I'll have to check it out.
Old 10-19-2011   #7
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Stephanie, I was at the Priest show in San Antonio last week, and if you think Halford's jacket is outrageous in that picture, you should have seen the wardrobe changes he made between every song. The set was over two hours long, and he had an outfit for each song. I've never seen so many lasers, pyrotechniques, and smoke at a concert before. It fits their style of metal.
I am sooooooo jealous. I should have gone to the Woodlands.

We are getting to the point where some of the best bands of all time--with REAL musicianship (not just effects) and vocalists with style--are just not going to tour any more. They are getting AARPd. And if you don't see them in a farewell way, you might not see them ever again.

It was very fun picking the YouTubes for this blog post. Especially the concerts from the early 80s where Halford and the whole band was pretty much at their peak. I had never seen Halford with longhair before.
Old 10-19-2011   #8
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

We are getting to the point where some of the best bands of all time--with REAL musicianship (not just effects) and vocalists with style--are just not going to tour any more. They are getting AARPd. And if you don't see them in a farewell way, you might not see them ever again.

It was very fun picking the YouTubes for this blog post. Especially the concerts from the early 80s where Halford and the whole band was pretty much at their peak. I had never seen Halford with longhair before.
Thank God Rush is still around....
Screaming for Vengeance is one of my favorite albums of all time....never seen Judas Priest live....but love their music....
Kiss puts on a pretty good pyro show too..
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #9
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112mn View Post
Thank God Rush is still around....
Screaming for Vengeance is one of my favorite albums of all time....never seen Judas Priest live....but love their music....
Kiss puts on a pretty good pyro show too..
One of my first concerts I ever saw was Rush's Moving Pictures tour. I got ruined for a lot of concerts after.

I wanted to go to what was supposed to be The Who's last concert tour (it wasn't) but didn't go because they wanted $20 for tickets! An outrage!
Old 10-19-2011   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
One of my first concerts I ever saw was Rush's Moving Pictures tour. I got ruined for a lot of concerts after.
Pretty much ruined for all concerts after the first time I saw Rush although I have enjoyed many. They headlined the Texas Jam (way, way too many years ago) with Ozzy and Ted Nugent as prior acts. Damn that was a day.

I think the other most memorable concert was Led Zeppelin playing Live Aid. I wasn't even there. Listened to it on a crappy boombox while grilling on Lake Texoma.

Actually that was basically a tie with Jeff Beck opening for Stevie Ray Vaughn and Carlos Santana (unscheduled appearance) walked up on stage to play freestyle with Beck while the crew swapped the equipment.

Aaah, when music was good and musicianship was esteemed.
Old 10-19-2011   #11
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Pretty much ruined for all concerts after the first time I saw Rush although I have enjoyed many. They headlined the Texas Jam (way, way too many years ago) with Ozzy and Ted Nugent as prior acts. Damn that was a day.

I think the other most memorable concert was Led Zeppelin playing Live Aid. I wasn't even there. Listened to it on a crappy boombox while grilling on Lake Texoma.

Actually that was basically a tie with Jeff Beck opening for Stevie Ray Vaughn and Carlos Santana (unscheduled appearance) walked up on stage to play freestyle with Beck while the crew swapped the equipment.

Aaah, when music was good and musicianship was esteemed.
I have the Live Aid cds and it's an absolute hoot watching them .

My first concert was Styx in November 1978 for $9.98 . It was going to be the Cars opening up but they got so big so fast it was Ambrosia and Styx .

Here you go Steph , the Texans could do this to Living After Midnight .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blzft...&feature=share
Old 10-19-2011   #12
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13708 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The show was great I am so glad I went. I just wish our football team was half as good as the Priest.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #13
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'll have to check it out.
You can play it right there on the link. Give it a listen. Alot of people on the board really liked this song.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #14
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Fun blog, TC!

I was never a big JP fan, but I've always respected them.

Two interesting aspects about JP and the leather thing. He got that look from the same place Freddy Mercury got it: gay S&M shops. Crazy that it become so iconic and influence to so many hair metal acts in the '80's.

The other aspect that pleasantly surprised me is how accepting the metal community was of Halford when he came out. I never heard a bad word about it and have seen them a couple of times since. Shows are packed and people rocked out. That says something positive for metalheads.

Maybe one of the lessons in your JP blog and how it might relate to the Texans is how long it took for them to gel as a band and find their true identity. Like you mentioned, they started in '69, but really did not hit their stride and find mega-success until a good decade after the band was formed. Hmmmm...
Old 10-19-2011   #15
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Fun blog, TC!

I was never a big JP fan, but I've always respected them.

Two interesting aspects about JP and the leather thing. He got that look from the same place Freddy Mercury got it: gay S&M shops. Crazy that it become so iconic and influence to so many hair metal acts in the '80's.

The other aspect that pleasantly surprised me is how accepting the metal community was of Halford when he came out. I never heard a bad word about it and have seen them a couple of times since. Shows are packed and people rocked out. That says something positive for metalheads.

Maybe one of the lessons in your JP blog and how it might relate to the Texans is how long it took for them to gel as a band and find their true identity. Like you mentioned, they started in '69, but really did not hit their stride and find mega-success until a good decade after the band was formed. Hmmmm...
Talent is talent. People will deal with all sorts of eccentricity and differentness if someone is very good at what they do.

Interesting watching shows about Gene Simmons getting the Kiss look from the S&M shops too.
Old 10-20-2011   #16
Endcoachment
Rookie

Rep Power: 101 Endcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respected

Horrid music or not who are you to suggest the music you like over what the masses would like. You tell fans to calm down after losses but then become a critic of game music.
Endcoachment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011   #17
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Funny, the first time I saw a grown man in all leather and spikes and chains and studs and whatever else.....I thought it was totally gay. So it didn't really come as a surprise.

Still a wicked band! Saw them a few years back!
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011   #18
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13529 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I think the other most memorable concert was Led Zeppelin playing Live Aid.
Were you too young for the show in the Summit in '77? I still have my concert shirt from that!
Surreal McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011   #19
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Talent is talent. People will deal with all sorts of eccentricity and differentness if someone is very good at what they do.
In certain music, yes. Sports, not so much. When was the last time a gay man was open about his sexuality in the NFL, NBA, or MLB?

And I said certain music because where is an open gay in country & western? You know they exist just by sheer percentage. The culture would not accept it. Heck, they won't even accepts liberals in their ranks!

Metalheads are the red-headed step-children of society. I know because I've lived it for a long time. I read a story in Rolling Stone after Rob came out of the closet and the writer indicated that he would not be accepted by his fans. He was wrong, of course, and I think metalheads have that outsider mentality that can relate to other lifestyles.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read