Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011   #21
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid
 
Honoring Earl 34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston
Age: 51
Posts: 18,805
Rep Power: 144668 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Our Biggest Need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
I'm not advocating starting a rookie QB right away. I'm advocating drafting a QB high in the draft and letting him learn behind Schaub for atleast a year. Green Bay did the same thing when Brett Favre's skills began to fade away. I know Favre was much older than Schaub when that happened. Favre was also a lot better than Schaub to begin with, so Favre had a lot farther to fall until he became an average QB. Favre also had a skill set to bail him out that Schaub has never had. He had a strong arm and could throw well on the run.
If you draft a rookie then he and Schaub would be learning a new offense . In other words if you draft a QB high , Kubiaks already been canned .
__________________
A little about Colleen. She's the brains behind the operation. Magna cum laude from BC, top five in her law school class, so obviously I have a pretty good idea how to recruit, I can tell you that.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011   #22
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer
 
BattleRedToro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Age: 41
Posts: 2,432
Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Our Biggest Need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
If you draft a rookie then he and Schaub would be learning a new offense . In other words if you draft a QB high , Kubiaks already been canned .
That isn't necessarily true. The Texans could draft a future starting QB even if they make the playoffs and keep Kubiak and Schaub.
__________________
"Hey fool, this ain't no football game!" - Mr. T
BattleRedToro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011   #23
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 22,719
Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Our Biggest Need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
That isn't necessarily true. The Texans could draft a future starting QB even if they make the playoffs and keep Kubiak and Schaub.
I am not seeing many results from having a QB "guru" in Kubiak. Grossman got another job but not doing very well. Has anyone seen vast improvements in any QB under Gary's reign as Texans coach? Schaub's may have been natural development with getting more play. I am not happy with Matt's 'flattening" passes last two years.
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011   #24
SteveSlaton20
All Pro
 
SteveSlaton20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 32
Posts: 808
Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20
Default Re: Our Biggest Need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
I'm not advocating starting a rookie QB right away. I'm advocating drafting a QB high in the draft and letting him learn behind Schaub for atleast a year. Green Bay did the same thing when Brett Favre's skills began to fade away. I know Favre was much older than Schaub when that happened. Favre was also a lot better than Schaub to begin with, so Favre had a lot farther to fall until he became an average QB. Favre also had a skill set to bail him out that Schaub has never had. He had a strong arm and could throw well on the run.
1. Whenever I said our biggest need, I meant for next year, and a new franchise QB is not our biggest need.
2. When you have a franchise QB, and you draft another franchise QB, it creates problems in the locker room.
3. One thing about the Green Bay Packers and Aaron Rodgers, is that they had actual talents around them. WR, TE, CB, LB, DL, RB, etc. We don't have that. Whenever you're gonna get a franchise QB, you make a team around him before you draft one if you really want him to be successful.

We never had a #2 WR, and Jacoby Jones is terrible, needs to be cut. We cannot just depend on Andre and Owen Daniels. I like KW, but he needs to be a slot, not a real #2 WR, can't take over a game. We do not have anyone not named AJ or OD that can take over a game(ie Jordy Nelson in the Super Bowl, 9 rec, 140 yards, 1 TD). The Packers are loaded at WR, Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, Jordy Nelson, James Jones and Randall Cobb, who's going to be special in this league. About all of them can take over a game, maybe except Driver now. And not to mention, they are great at TE. Jermichael Finely who's a complete beast and could be one of best TE in the league, Donald Lee(plays for Bengals now) who played great after Finley went on IR, Tom Crabtree who is good but not special(ie Joel Dreesen) and Quarless. They drafted another TE in DJ Williams from Arkansas, who's not gonna play right away, but could be another special player. He would probably be #2 TE if he was a little bit taller and a year or two experience, but was a special player in college and could be in the NFL. He's their 3rd TE, 5th round pick.

And IDK if you were watching last week, but Jason Allen's been playing soft and gives up a lot of yards, and Kareem Jackson is probably a bust unless he can prove otherwise. Jason Allen was one of the reasons why the game was close and why we lost, even tho he had an interception early in the game. Green Bay Packers, they do not have this problem because they are loaded at the DB's positions, Charles Woodson, Tramon Williams, Sam Shields, Nick Collins, etc. A #2 CB is very important, he needs to be able to take away one side of the field and help create turnovers. That's what the Packers are very good at and main reason why they were able to beat the Steelers in the SB. Taking away just one side of the field can only go so far, and if we want to make the Playoffs, and Super Bowl too, we need a #2 CB desperately. Preferably in the FA, but wouldn't mind we drafted another one, but a proven one unlike KJ.

And if you look at the teams with top 3-4 Defenses, especially the ones that made it into the playoffs last year, about all of them had a giant in the middle at NT. IIRC, every top 10 defense had a 325+ pounds NT that are in a 3-4. And it's yet, another position the GB Packers are dominant at. BJ Raji, one of the best NT in the league, is 6'2'', 337 lbs. Hell, even their backup NT is 340 lbs. I know Wade Phillips prefers smaller guys, but Shaun Cody(6'4'', 300 lbs) and Earl Mitchell(6'3'' 289 lbs) aren't special and it's imo a position that we need to be dominant at to be a threat in the league. IDK if there's any good NT in the FA next year, but I prefer us to draft a young guy and hopefully make him become the next BJ Raji.

Considering all of that, do you seriously want to draft a QB? Like seriously?
__________________
SteveSlaton20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011   #25
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer
 
BattleRedToro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Age: 41
Posts: 2,432
Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Our Biggest Need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSlaton20 View Post
1. Whenever I said our biggest need, I meant for next year, and a new franchise QB is not our biggest need.
2. When you have a franchise QB, and you draft another franchise QB, it creates problems in the locker room.
3. One thing about the Green Bay Packers and Aaron Rodgers, is that they had actual talents around them. WR, TE, CB, LB, DL, RB, etc. We don't have that. Whenever you're gonna get a franchise QB, you make a team around him before you draft one if you really want him to be successful.

We never had a #2 WR, and Jacoby Jones is terrible, needs to be cut. We cannot just depend on Andre and Owen Daniels. I like KW, but he needs to be a slot, not a real #2 WR, can't take over a game. We do not have anyone not named AJ or OD that can take over a game(ie Jordy Nelson in the Super Bowl, 9 rec, 140 yards, 1 TD). The Packers are loaded at WR, Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, Jordy Nelson, James Jones and Randall Cobb, who's going to be special in this league. About all of them can take over a game, maybe except Driver now. And not to mention, they are great at TE. Jermichael Finely who's a complete beast and could be one of best TE in the league, Donald Lee(plays for Bengals now) who played great after Finley went on IR, Tom Crabtree who is good but not special(ie Joel Dreesen) and Quarless. They drafted another TE in DJ Williams from Arkansas, who's not gonna play right away, but could be another special player. He would probably be #2 TE if he was a little bit taller and a year or two experience, but was a special player in college and could be in the NFL. He's their 3rd TE, 5th round pick.

And IDK if you were watching last week, but Jason Allen's been playing soft and gives up a lot of yards, and Kareem Jackson is probably a bust unless he can prove otherwise. Jason Allen was one of the reasons why the game was close and why we lost, even tho he had an interception early in the game. Green Bay Packers, they do not have this problem because they are loaded at the DB's positions, Charles Woodson, Tramon Williams, Sam Shields, Nick Collins, etc. A #2 CB is very important, he needs to be able to take away one side of the field and help create turnovers. That's what the Packers are very good at and main reason why they were able to beat the Steelers in the SB. Taking away just one side of the field can only go so far, and if we want to make the Playoffs, and Super Bowl too, we need a #2 CB desperately. Preferably in the FA, but wouldn't mind we drafted another one, but a proven one unlike KJ.

And if you look at the teams with top 3-4 Defenses, especially the ones that made it into the playoffs last year, about all of them had a giant in the middle at NT. IIRC, every top 10 defense had a 325+ pounds NT that are in a 3-4. And it's yet, another position the GB Packers are dominant at. BJ Raji, one of the best NT in the league, is 6'2'', 337 lbs. Hell, even their backup NT is 340 lbs. I know Wade Phillips prefers smaller guys, but Shaun Cody(6'4'', 300 lbs) and Earl Mitchell(6'3'' 289 lbs) aren't special and it's imo a position that we need to be dominant at to be a threat in the league. IDK if there's any good NT in the FA next year, but I prefer us to draft a young guy and hopefully make him become the next BJ Raji.

Considering all of that, do you seriously want to draft a QB? Like seriously?
I don't think Wade prefers a smaller NT. I understood him to say that a NT in his system doesn't have to be massive. That is different than saying he prefers a small NT.

I doubt the Texans will draft a QB in the first round, but to answer your question, yes I think if they have a chance to draft a special QB in the first round they should. Matt Schaub is a good QB, but he's never going to be special. Regarding his development as a QB, I believe he has reached his peak. How many NFL QB's have improved after the age of 30? That doesn't mean they immediately drop off after turning 30; this isn't Logan's Run, after all. It just means they plateau at or near that age and eventually decline in ability.

I agree that NT is a need. I don't think a team should draft a NT in the first round unless they are confident that they are getting a Haloti Ngata or B.J. Raji type player. Otherwise, they can find a very good NT in the second round.

CB is the biggest need on the defense for sure, but I think the Texans can address this again in free agency.

If the Texans don't pick a special QB or NT in the first round, then they might have a chance to draft a WR or a pass rushing OLB. The need at OLB will be determined by whether they decide to keep Mario Williams and how well "Hacksaw" Brooks Reed plays the rest of this year.

You are absolutely right about the need of a better #2 WR, preferably a #1A type WR. In otherwords, a WR that can step in as a legitimate #1 WR if Andre Johnson is injured.
__________________
"Hey fool, this ain't no football game!" - Mr. T
BattleRedToro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011   #26
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame
 
Texan4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great State of Texas
Section: My couch
Age: 24
Posts: 4,076
Rep Power: 15877 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Our Biggest Need?

Here's my top three with guys I want in bold...



1.) Wider Receiver - We need a taller receiver (6'4" +) or a speedy guy with great hands (Justin Blackmon) in case if AJ goes down or to give Schaub more options to throw to.

Justin Blackmon

2.) Nose tackle - We need either a big plunger or a quick, finesse type of guy to plug into the middle and help anchor our defense. Cody and Mitchell are good rotational guys but should not be your starters.

Billy Winn

3.) Offensive linemen - Wouldn't hurt to draft some linemen to takeover in the future once guys leave or retire.

David Molk - C, Kevin Zeitler - OG, and or Brandon Mosley - OT
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #27
b0ng
Ooops
 
b0ng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 33
Posts: 7,611
Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Our Biggest Need?

Mark me down as saying if one of the big 3 QB's should happen to fall near or around us, I would not be opposed to picking him up (Jones, Barkley or Luck).
__________________
\_(ツ)_/
http://www.thedrawplay.com/?p=88
b0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #28
southcarolina45
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3
Rep Power: 0 southcarolina45 is ridin' the pine
Default Re: Our Biggest Need?

Delvin Johnson Marshall NT 6-3 312 very good stats
southcarolina45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011   #29
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame
 
Ole Miss Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 8,680
Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Our Biggest Need?

As of 10/20 I still want a playmaking WR to pair with AJ but it's not like we can't find that after round 1.

I'd love for Wade to find that true stud NT that can rush the passer and clog the lane. The NT that offenses fear.

Moving up on my list is a stud O-Linemen which possibly could be had in the 20's where I still think we should be picking. I think Brown is playing very well but Winston is starting to worry me (pass pro is not up to my liking). Would love to get a really good tackle to put at RT and push Winston in to RG possibly. On the otherhand, if we can get a LT that could move Brown to RT. I'll let Kubiak & Dennison look into that but would love an upgrade on the OL to help protect Schaub.
__________________
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011   #30
beerlover
Site Contributor
 
beerlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 12,297
Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Our Biggest Need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
As of 10/20 I still want a playmaking WR to pair with AJ but it's not like we can't find that after round 1.

I'd love for Wade to find that true stud NT that can rush the passer and clog the lane. The NT that offenses fear.

Moving up on my list is a stud O-Linemen which possibly could be had in the 20's where I still think we should be picking. I think Brown is playing very well but Winston is starting to worry me (pass pro is not up to my liking). Would love to get a really good tackle to put at RT and push Winston in to RG possibly. On the otherhand, if we can get a LT that could move Brown to RT. I'll let Kubiak & Dennison look into that but would love an upgrade on the OL to help protect Schaub.
or draft/trade for a QB with better mobility
__________________

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011   #31
badboy
Site Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 22,719
Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Our Biggest Need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
or draft/trade for a QB with better mobility
uh oh, now you went and done it!
__________________
I want to be able to recognize the difference between a "want" and a "need" and then I want to be satisfied with getting a need
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger