Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-19-2011   #41
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Defense - The Key to a winning season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Texans had 76 yards in their final five drives
Yeah...That is pretty shitty...

That's what...15 yards per possession?

Damn, I didn't realize it was that bad.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #42
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
That is the chicken and the egg argument. Which one comes first? A good offense makes the defense better, or the defense makes the offense better? Bottom line, the Texans defense needs to play like the unit they have been built to play like. Even without Mario, and excluding Ryans #33 overall, there are 5 first round draft picks.
In time, I would agree with you. They've been together for 10 weeks & they struggle on 2 maybe three drives a game, I think they are playing well above expectations when they are already ranked somewhere around 10 in total defense & they are one of the better red-zone defenses so far. 6th against the pass while shutting down McFadden & controlling Ray Rice's total yards.

The offense has been together for 4 + years. They are playing the same position & everyone has been playing their position going on three years now. James Casey is the only new "starter"

This is an offensive team & the offense should be able to save this defense, we should have expected them to do so at least once in the last 6 games.
Old 10-19-2011   #43
Kthx
All Pro

Section: Bar Table
Rep Power: 8622 Kthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respected

Houston Drive Summaries
15:00 1 05:05 HOU 20 12 38 Punt
01:08 1 05:01 HOU 20 9 35 Punt
10:06 2 02:33 BAL 46 5 26 Downs
06:11 2 01:23 BAL 17 3 17 Touchdown
01:50 2 01:19 HOU 20 3 -2 Punt
00:21 2 00:21 HOU 34 4 24 End of Half
11:46 3 03:10 HOU 20 6 80 Touchdown
03:30 3 02:03 HOU 20 5 13 Punt
14:44 4 03:47 HOU 20 8 42 Punt
08:39 4 02:01 HOU 14 3 6 Punt
04:01 4 00:27 HOU 20 4 6 Downs
01:55 4 00:38 HOU 20 4 9 Downs

Baltimore Drive Summaries
09:55 1 08:47 BAL 3 16 97 Touchdown
11:07 2 01:01 BAL 6 3 -9 Punt
07:33 2 01:22 BAL 21 3 -4 Fumble
04:48 2 02:58 BAL 31 10 44 Field Goal
00:31 2 00:00 BAL 39 1 2 Intercepted Pass
15:00 3 03:14 BAL 23 7 47 Field Goal
08:36 3 05:06 BAL 19 8 74 Field Goal
01:27 3 01:43 BAL 34 5 51 Field Goal
10:57 4 02:18 BAL 20 5 24 Punt
06:38 4 02:37 BAL 34 6 66 Touchdown
03:34 4 01:39 HOU 26 4 4 Field Goal
01:17 4 01:17 HOU 29 2 -2 End of Game

------

I just want to point out that on the defenses behalf that on the last three drives we went 3 and out, 4 and out, and 4 and out. It gets the point that our offense is playing so badly that our defense isn't having time to rest between drives. I am not saying that they shouldn't be able to play a complete game but I think any teams defense would be more likely to give up a few big runs after their offense stalled three times in a row to end the game.
Kthx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #44
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
In time, I would agree with you. They've been together for 10 weeks & they struggle on 2 maybe three drives a game, I think they are playing well above expectations when they are already ranked somewhere around 10 in total defense & they are one of the better red-zone defenses so far.

The offense has been together for 4 + years. They are playing the same position & everyone has been playing their position going on three years now. James Casey is the only new "starter"

This is an offensive team & the offense should be able to save this defense, we should have expected them to do so at least once in the last 6 games.
You said that better than I did. Rep if I could.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #45
Kthx
All Pro

Section: Bar Table
Rep Power: 8622 Kthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respected

Paid it forward Rey, no worries.
Kthx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #46
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 62228 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I didn't think before the season that I would have to worry about the offense but it has become the weak link.
Old 10-19-2011   #47
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see the NT as a liability for us, even though I'd love to have a real force inside.

The last two games are similar to the the early games; the run D was not gashed, especially not late in the game because of Cody and Mitchell.

In the 4th quarter against the raiders, we stuffed them (all McFaden) for minus three yards on six carries.

The Ravens were 10 for 70, but it wasn't due to the NT.
Late to the gap and poor tackling was the problem.
In fact, our NTs were the bright spot.
They were in the backfield quite often.
And they did their job near the goal-line as well (4 plays, if I'm not mistaken.)
The TD by the Ravens was not on the NT either.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011   #48
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I don't see the NT as a liability for us, even though I'd love to have a real force inside.
@Baltimore the NT didn't play the one gap style Wade told us about. He put Cody (who is a better player than Mitchell) & Earl straight up on the nose, 0 Tech.

Just saying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
And they did their job near the goal-line as well (4 plays, if I'm not mistaken.)
The TD by the Ravens was not on the NT either.
We had that play covered. Called the perfect defense. Mitchell didn't hold the point of attack.

People want to talk about the "great" job Vonta Leech did, but on that play Ryans was doing his job, stuffing the FB. He was opening the hole for both Quin & Cushing to come in & get Rice.

But, Bolden beat JJoseph on the slant & picked Quin off of the play (there was no way for JJoseph to know). Mitchell got turned on the by the double team & the Center was able to come up & take Cushing out of the play.

Had Mitchell done his job & Quin recognized the run earlier, we'd have stopped them on that one, in the backfield.

If Demeco was his old self, Leech would have been on his ass as well.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read