Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 10-17-2011   #21
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Steel B's 1st 2012 Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I'm still clutching to hope that Harris can develop into a #2 and then Jackson can play the nickel.

Steelb is right. Boykin is a 5th round CB talent. But he is a playmaker with the ball in his hands, and that pushes him up.
I don't know Status of Harris? clearly Texans still need secondary help, yet he has only seen the field in very limited action. So banking on him is simply too risky given the fact CB2 is ripped apart every weekend helping the opponents offense to beat an otherwise much improved defense & scheme. If I had to pin point the single biggest hole on this team as of right now it is still CB2. Worthy of another first round pick if the playmaker they need is available. eventually they will get it right & we can laugh about it over a cold one

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011   #22
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I don't know Status of Harris? clearly Texans still need secondary help, yet he has only seen the field in very limited action. So banking on him is simply too risky given the fact CB2 is ripped apart every weekend helping the opponents offense to beat an otherwise much improved defense & scheme. If I had to pin point the single biggest hole on this team as of right now it is still CB2. Worthy of another first round pick if the playmaker they need is available. eventually they will get it right & we can laugh about it over a cold one
I'm with you, BL. It's not just our biggest hole, it's a black hole. At this point, Allen and Jackson have got to be giving up nearly ten first downs a game just by themselves.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011   #23
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Addressing CB2 in FA would be the way I would go.

Letting MW walk would mean you could sign impact players at CB2 and WR2. Somebody like WR2 Bowe and a vet lesser CB2 like Carlos Rodgers. With the MW savings.

Draft a NT and your defense is complete. This is after seeing how Reed and Barwin do at OLB in their 11 game tryout.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011   #24
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

Letting MW walk would mean you could sign impact players at CB2 and WR2. Somebody like WR2 Bowe and a vet lesser CB2 like Carlos Rodgers. With the MW savings.

Draft a NT and your defense is complete. This is after seeing how Reed and Barwin do at OLB in their 11 game tryout.
Bowe ought to be highly sought after this Free agency period. There are a lot of big name WR free agents that have expiring contracts next year, so the market will be competitive. Check out this list of the best WRs for the 2012 class:

Steve Johnson – BUF
Brandon Lloyd – DEN
Reggie Wayne – IND
Pierre Garcon – IND
Dwayne Bowe - KC
Wes Welker – NE
Marques Colston - NO
Mario Manningham - NYG
DeSean Jackson – PHI
Mike Wallace – PIT (Restricted)
Vincent Jackson – SD
Jordy Nelson - GB

Granted several of these guys are bound to get F-taged, but I think a 27 year old Bowe will be looking for a big pay-day from a WR-starved team like the Rams, Bears, Chiefs or Seahawks. But the one thing that is comforting is that the Texans may be able to snag a good WR as a #2. With guys like this on the move, the Texans are bound to grab a decent WR in the mixup after they cut Jacoby, but it may require letting Mario Williams go in the process.
Old 10-17-2011   #25
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I like your way of thinking, letting MW walk provided Reed and Barwin play well the rest of the season which I expect they will, but I have my doubts that the Texans will go that route. I think McNair likes MW too much to let him go and looks at MW as the face of the franchise and great for marketing and jersey sales. Before the injury I expected the Texans to use the franchise tag on MW for next year, now after the injury I expect them to do it even more since they'll want to see what he's like next season without going all in on another contract. Letting MW walk is the only way we've got any money to spend in FA though with he and Foster both in FA after this season. Draft a NT in the 1st and a WR in the 2nd and use the money saved on a CB2, if we let MW walk.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011   #26
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
I like your way of thinking, letting MW walk provided Reed and Barwin play well the rest of the season which I expect they will, but I have my doubts that the Texans will go that route. I think McNair likes MW too much to let him go and looks at MW as the face of the franchise and great for marketing and jersey sales. Before the injury I expected the Texans to use the franchise tag on MW for next year, now after the injury I expect them to do it even more since they'll want to see what he's like next season without going all in on another contract. Letting MW walk is the only way we've got any money to spend in FA though with he and Foster both in FA after this season. Draft a NT in the 1st and a WR in the 2nd and use the money saved on a CB2, if we let MW walk.
Franchising and trading MW for a 1st and hopefully a 3rd would be the way to get maximum value for MW. That way you get the $$$$ saved for FA (BoB wont spend all of it and will put some of it in his pocket, think Dunta situation) and the draft picks.

A team with a solid talent base like GB, Pitts, N.E. would be hot for MW and might even give up an established WR and the picks for MW. They have the cap room and talent to do a deal like this.
Old 10-17-2011   #27
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Bowe ought to be highly sought after this Free agency period. There are a lot of big name WR free agents that have expiring contracts next year, so the market will be competitive. Check out this list of the best WRs for the 2012 class:

Steve Johnson BUF
Brandon Lloyd DEN
Reggie Wayne IND
Pierre Garcon IND
Dwayne Bowe - KC
Wes Welker NE
Marques Colston - NO
Mario Manningham - NYG
DeSean Jackson PHI
Mike Wallace PIT (Restricted)
Vincent Jackson SD
Jordy Nelson - GB

Granted several of these guys are bound to get F-taged, but I think a 27 year old Bowe will be looking for a big pay-day from a WR-starved team like the Rams, Bears, Chiefs or Seahawks. But the one thing that is comforting is that the Texans may be able to snag a good WR as a #2. With guys like this on the move, the Texans are bound to grab a decent WR in the mixup after they cut Jacoby, but it may require letting Mario Williams go in the process.
Nelson re-signed with G.B.

Out of those WR's the ones most likely to be let walk are Johnson,Bowe,D.Jackson and V.Jackson.

Which one do you think would be the easiest to obtain? Which one would be the one that you would sign. Johnson/Bowe and D.Jackson in that order would be my choices.
Old 10-17-2011   #28
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Nelson re-signed with G.B.

Out of those WR's the ones most likely to be let walk are Johnson,Bowe,D.Jackson and V.Jackson.

Which one do you think would be the easiest to obtain? Which one would be the one that you would sign. Johnson/Bowe and D.Jackson in that order would be my choices.
Steve Johnson – BUF
Brandon Lloyd – DEN
Reggie Wayne – IND
Pierre Garcon – IND
Dwayne Bowe - KC
Wes Welker – NE
Marques Colston - NO
Mario Manningham - NYG
DeSean Jackson – PHI
Mike Wallace – PIT (Restricted)
Vincent Jackson – SD

Easiest to sign IMO: Lloyd, Garcon, Manningham, Colston, Johnson, Wayne.

Only Lloyd, Garcon and Manningham will be cheap though, the rest ought to command considerable money. I expect Bowe, both Jacksons, Wallace and Welker to all be worth at least 7-10 million base salary per year. Likely too pricey for the Texans without letting go of MW or Foster.

I don't think the Texans will have more than about 15-20 million in free capspace to work with next free agency, provided the cap doesn't increase. That money will mostly be tied up in re-signing people like Foster (Franchise tag candidate), Chris Myers, Mario (maybe), Rackers or a new Kicker, and about 5 million in rookie salaries. I know many are counting on that number to be higher, but the increase in salaries across the board for guys like AJ, Schaub, Ryans and others will eat away at the free space available.

I think our best shot would be to go after Stevie Johnson and try to get him for 5 years 35 million-ish (initial low base pay in 2012 ~5 mill, escalate over 5 years), let MW walk, tag Foster and force him to play 1 more contract year (~9 million), and hopefully retain Myers and/or Rackers on the cheap. I think that would be the best they could do, or go for a cheaper option in Garcon, who also would be a good get and a huge upgrade over Jacoby.
Old 10-17-2011   #29
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Steve Johnson BUF
Brandon Lloyd DEN
Reggie Wayne IND
Pierre Garcon IND
Dwayne Bowe - KC
Wes Welker NE
Marques Colston - NO
Mario Manningham - NYG
DeSean Jackson PHI
Mike Wallace PIT (Restricted)
Vincent Jackson SD

Easiest to sign IMO: Lloyd, Garcon, Manningham, Colston, Johnson, Wayne.

Only Lloyd, Garcon and Manningham will be cheap though, the rest ought to command considerable money. I expect Bowe, both Jacksons, Wallace and Welker to all be worth at least 7-10 million base salary per year. Likely too pricey for the Texans without letting go of MW or Foster.

I don't think the Texans will have more than about 15-20 million in free capspace to work with next free agency, provided the cap doesn't increase. That money will mostly be tied up in re-signing people like Foster (Franchise tag candidate), Chris Myers, Mario (maybe), Rackers or a new Kicker, and about 5 million in rookie salaries. I know many are counting on that number to be higher, but the increase in salaries across the board for guys like AJ, Schaub, Ryans and others will eat away at the free space available.

I think our best shot would be to go after Stevie Johnson and try to get him for 5 years 35 million-ish (initial low base pay in 2012 ~5 mill, escalate over 5 years), let MW walk, tag Foster and force him to play 1 more contract year (~9 million), and hopefully retain Myers and/or Rackers on the cheap. I think that would be the best they could do, or go for a cheaper option in Garcon, who also would be a good get and a huge upgrade over Jacoby.
Good news

Johnson is a stud and Ralph Wilson isn't going to pay him. So this is a real possibility.

WR's corps sounds like a HOF pitcher with an echo. Walter Johnson Johnson Johnson. Andre,Stevie,Bryant can we give them a cool nickmame.

Ideas, Johnsons in the end zone/hardworking Johnsons/etc...
Old 10-17-2011   #30
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Franchising and trading MW for a 1st and hopefully a 3rd would be the way to get maximum value for MW. That way you get the $$$$ saved for FA (BoB wont spend all of it and will put some of it in his pocket, think Dunta situation) and the draft picks.

A team with a solid talent base like GB, Pitts, N.E. would be hot for MW and might even give up an established WR and the picks for MW. They have the cap room and talent to do a deal like this.
How about Welker and two seconds?
Old 10-17-2011   #31
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
How about Welker and two seconds?
Done

Brady isn't going to let Welker go anywhere. They've got an unreal chemistry.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read