Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2011   #261
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: im done with schaub

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
You know the saddest part is he is not getting any better as he gets more experience. I know you lose some physical skills as you age but hopefully your experience makes up for this. I don't see that in Schaub. JMO
He's really not. He's becoming less effective as the years go by, not more. I'm starting to think that we may have seen the best football Matt Schaub has to offer.

I'll go one step further and say that I'm ready to see what Matt Leinart can do in this system BUT.... having said that I don't think that a QB change is really the fundamental problem we're dealing with.

Our offense is pretty embarrassing. We have real issues imposing our will on defenses. We have exactly one "special talent" on offense and that's Andre Johnson. Apart from him we got parts that don't work unless they're in the company of..... Andre Johnson.

Arian Foster is outstanding.... when the threat of Andre Johnson is keep defenses from keying on him.

Owen Daniels, James Casey, Kevin Walter are all excellent receiving threats.... provided the defense is using its best players to cover Andre Johnson.

Jacoby Jones is shit on a stick. One appearance every three or four weeks doesn't not cut it. He has no business on an NFL roster and doesn't enter into this conversation.

Matt Schaub is a top-ten QB.... if he's got Andre Johnson to throw to.

We have the best offensive line in football unless Andre goes down. Then they can't keep their QB from getting pounded and can barely open up anything for Foster & Tate to run through.

Andre Johnson is our offense. He's amazing but that's not good enough. Building an offense where one guy goes down and the rest of it becomes worthless isn't good enough. Our offense is weak. They're mentally weak. They fold up like a cheap suit against all but the worst teams and sometimes they fold up against them too.

I've no doubt that Wade Phillips will build the defense he was brought in to build. Even without Mario it will be in the 10th to 15th range. That will be fine but the win/loss column won't get better because all along the dysfunctional offense has been just as guilty as the inept defense.

This doesn't get better until Gary Kubiak & Rick Smith are on their way out of town and no, promoting Wade Phillips to HC isn't gonna cut it.

I kind of want to see someone other than Schaub back there but I don't think making that change will alter our course. The change we need to make is at HC and GM. Until McNair sees that it doesn't even matter what happens at QB.
Old 10-16-2011   #262
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
He's really not. He's becoming less effective as the years go by, not more. I'm starting to think that we may have seen the best football Matt Schaub has to offer.

I'll go one step further and say that I'm ready to see what Matt Leinart can do in this system BUT.... having said that I don't think that a QB change is really the fundamental problem we're dealing with.

Our offense is pretty embarrassing. We have real issues imposing our will on defenses. We have exactly one "special talent" on offense and that's Andre Johnson. Apart from him we got parts that don't work unless they're in the company of..... Andre Johnson.

Arian Foster is outstanding.... when the threat of Andre Johnson is keep defenses from keying on him.

Owen Daniels, James Casey, Kevin Walter are all excellent receiving threats.... provided the defense is using its best players to cover Andre Johnson.

Jacoby Jones is shit on a stick. One appearance every three or four weeks doesn't not cut it. He has no business on an NFL roster and doesn't enter into this conversation.

We have the best offensive line in football unless Andre goes down. Then they can't keep their QB from getting pounded and can barely open up anything for Foster & Tate to run through.

Andre Johnson is our offense. He's amazing but that's not good enough. Building an offense where one guy goes down and the rest of it becomes worthless isn't good enough. Our offense is weak. They're mentally weak. They fold up like a cheap suit against all but the worst teams and sometimes they fold up against them too.

I've no doubt that Wade Phillips will build the defense he was brought in to build. Even without Mario it will be in the 10th to 15th range. That will be fine but the win/loss column won't get better because all along the dysfunctional offense has been just as guilty as the inept defense.

This doesn't get better until Gary Kubiak & Rick Smith are on their way out of town and no, promoting Wade Phillips to HC isn't gonna cut it.

I kind of want to see someone other than Schaub back there but I don't think making that change will alter our course. The change we need to make is at HC and GM. Until McNair sees that it doesn't even matter what happens at QB.
well put
Old 10-16-2011   #263
Endcoachment
Rookie

Rep Power: 101 Endcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respectedEndcoachment is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm proud to have every player in our possession except Gary losebiak
Old 10-16-2011   #264
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 116586 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
stuff.
So basically Dre is to the Texans as Payton is to indy?
Old 10-16-2011   #265
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38035 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

we're still in it...

...let's bring him back home.
Old 10-16-2011   #266
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
we're still in it...

trade the house
Old 10-16-2011   #267
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap_Star View Post
we're still in it...

No Indy will get because they don't have idiots in the FO. He will get to kick our butts for another 10 years. Sorry but this is my nightmare.
Old 10-16-2011   #268
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38035 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
No Indy will get because they don't have idiots in the FO. He will get to kick our butts for another 10 years. Sorry but this is my nightmare.
lolwut?

polian is gonna take justin blackmon #1 overall. manning needs another weapon for next year.
Old 10-16-2011   #269
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Schaub has led us on too many comebacks and has shown he is a leader for me to give up on him. But, he does make too many dumb mistakes at times.
What come back games that had any meaning!!!! Matt Shaub is a system QB and he is average so throw out the statistics because this is a qb oriented system where numbers are easily generated. Matt Shaub doesn't make the offense better and I think that Texans front office is garbage as well they need a complete makeover except for the defensive staff.
Old 10-16-2011   #270
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

If OU's Landry Jones enters the 2012 NFL Draft we need to trade Matt Shaub and start over at the QB position with a who guy who is a proven winner & leader. Matt Shaub is garbage.
Old 10-16-2011   #271
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

to be fair.. we have played two pretty good defences since aj got injured so the problem looks exaggerated right now.
Old 10-16-2011   #272
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
to be fair.. we have played two pretty good defences since aj got injured so the problem looks exaggerated right now.
lol, so why bother going to the playoffs
Old 10-16-2011   #273
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The problem is not that we don't have aj.

The problem is that Matt schaub isn't going to beat anybody.

Load up on the run because shammy is not going to consistently make good throws and will only occasionally make great throws.

The receiving talent is not that bad.
Old 10-16-2011   #274
PHAROAH
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
well put
Man look we go through this mess every damn season as soon as Andre Johnson gets hurt the offense no longer can sustain drives that's because the offense is built on one player at the wr position which is sad IMO. Most teams that are competitive have more than 1 wr look at Green Bay, Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Atlanta, New York Jets, New England, Baltimore, Indianapolis, San Diego, Dallas, Philadelphia etc. All those teams passing game don't drop off the map when their top wr is out of the lineup like the Texans do. That also says a lot about Matt Shaub he is not a qb that can carry his team he is system qb that put up nice numbers in a west coast offense the will create plenty of opportunities as long as the qb make the correct reads, Matt isn't a leader and he has proven this over the past 4 or 5 seasons.
Old 10-16-2011   #275
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14869 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

My thoughts on Schaub...

He doesn't have 'IT' and likely never will.

He's a good QB, top 10 QB but definitely not elite. But he's good enough to get this team to the **** post-season.

He seems to panic the moment he goes under pressure. Sure he's made some tough throws but the very moment the guy is hurried he either...

A.) Rolls out of the pocket and throws it away.
B.) Falls down and takes the sack.
C.) Throws an interception.
D.) makes a tough throw under pressure and makes the play.

IMO I see D rarely but I have no stats to back that up. I see A-C far too likely. Also there is nothing wrong with taking a sack or throwing the ball away...but he does this no matter the situation. There are times where the offense needs to score and taking a sack and throwing it away isn't a 'Good play'. He has to stand tall in the pocket and make some kind of play. We see it from the Elite even if they throw a INT because they are forcing it up...but if you do that who knows what happens? Your WR comes down with it or the defender gets a roughing the passer call...Maybe i'm being unfair to him but all those times we forced the Ravens to force FGs, I see the offense going down without a fight...meanwhile we see guys like Roethlisberger grind through the pressure or see Brees escape from the pocket and make a diving throw and never conceding defeat and I'm convinced that if this team ever wins the superbowl. It'll probably be because Andre or Cushing or someone had a amazing performance and not Schaub.

Still Matt is a good QB and I'm not for replacing him unless we are sure the guy we are replacing him with is a stud.
Old 10-16-2011   #276
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Schaub is like most qbs in the league. Schaub,cassell,smith, and the other who need manipulation by the coach/system or a plethera of talent. Those kind of qb have limited physical skills to elevate players around them. That's why I mentioned moss,edwards and guys like play oppowit3 of aj. All I head was how awesome a offense they had despite scoring 24ppg.
Old 10-16-2011   #277
Mr. Texan
I'm A Texan

Rep Power: 15229 Mr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
If OU's Landry Jones enters the 2012 NFL Draft we need to trade Matt Shaub and start over at the QB position with a who guy who is a proven winner & leader. Matt Shaub is garbage.
yeah, but college is different game than the nfl.
Old 10-16-2011   #278
mariowillshine15
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2512 mariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respected

The way he gives up when touched by a defender is what kills me most.

No fight, no struggle to get loose, just full fetal.

I think Schaub is thinking it's two hand touch.
Old 10-16-2011   #279
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
lol, so why bother going to the playoffs
..because aj will be back...and we'll be at home..and we might be playing the pats/chargers/steelers etc who dont have such physical defences
Old 10-16-2011   #280
PHAROAH
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Texan View Post
yeah, but college is different game than the nfl.
Dude look at the teams who have invested in young signal callers we have to start somewhere Matt Shaub is not getting it done he is not a winner period we have had 5 seasons to see it and he doesn't have it period. Look at the qb's that have come out in the past 6 or 7 years the teams made commitments at those positions through the Draft not a free agent who didn't really fit the system that they are running on offense. Matt Shaub isn't a franchise qb that you can build your future on he is just like Tony Romo they will never be more than a system qb that put up decent stats that will make people love them, but never really turning into a leader.

Ben Rothlisberger, Aaron Rogers, Josh Freeman, Matt Ryan, Cameron Newton, Eli Manning, Mark Sanchez, Phillip Rivers etc.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read