Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-09-2011   #61
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL stat shows Texans QB Schaub steps up in clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan View Post
reading DocBars earlier link on an article by AJ, it is quite clear that Schaub has a tendancy to repeat a 'pick 6' when the game is on the line.

http://www.examiner.com/houston-texa...bit-misleading

So that doesn't put him into a 'clutch QB' status, IMO. It puts him in a poor decision resulting in losing the game. Which is, actually, anti-clutch. Looked like Schaub got caught between running it in himself and passing it for a TD, and couldn't be decisive and paid for that indecision with yet another INT.

It wasn't his first and it won't be his last. Clutch QB, nope. Servicable QB to run the Kubi-lack offense. No doubt about it.
That's priceless. The stat is a bit of spin to make Texans fans feel good about their QB. Awesome.
Old 10-09-2011   #62
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 75856 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I was watching MR. CLUTCH.....
I call BS.....Rockets still not allowed to practice which probably include Clutch.

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #63
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Another quote from AJ's article:

But is Schaub the best 'clutch' quarterback, i.e., when games are on the line in the 4th quarter? I don't think so.

Did you think Schaub looked clutch in the 4th quarter at New Orleans a few weeks ago? I don't. I thought he looked (to borrow a Kubiak term) out of whack, nervous, jittery.

Granted, the meltdown in New Orleans was primarily on the defense, but Schaub's fourth quarter was not a good one either. The Texans first drive of the quarter was a 3-and-out. Then with 9:00 remaining, with the Texans holding on to a 26-24 lead, Schaub threw a key interception (there's a bit of a pattern here) allowing the Saints to drive and take the lead. Then on the subsequent drive the Texans got a lucky bounce when a Schaub pass hit the hands of two Saints players before Kevin Walter caught the deflection and ran it into the endzone, giving the Texans a late lead which the defense quickly relinquished.

I don't know about y'all but I get pretty nervous when I see Schaub throwing it around in the 4th quarter of a close game.

Quality play when the game is on the line? Sometimes, but again, the devil is in the details.

This article from AJ is really good and gives a way more realistic view of Schaub in the clutch.

http://www.examiner.com/houston-texa...bit-misleading
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #64
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 87851 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Matt Schaub is who Matt Schaub is, and that's not David Carr. But for me that honeymoon ended a few years ago.

He puts up pretty numbers and in the books and on paper he looks like an elite QB but in the W's and L's section he is a loser.

I personally get tired of him throwing INT's to defensive linemen not to mention all the batted balls. Between the 20's he is beast of a QB. In the red zone? Underthrown, off target, scrambles around in the pocket and can't seem to make a decision on where to go with the ball.

Is it coaching? Is it the play calling? Is it the players around him? I don't know. But I do know that Matt Schaub touches the ball 100% of the time on offensive downs and that makes him responsible in my opinion.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #65
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 23870 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

What is the number one stat when ranking a QB? Passing Yards.

In the 'clutch' situation, Matt Schaub managed to move the ball right down to the goal line in yesterdays game.

Now, in a years time when the memory of specific games and situations has blurred somewhat, someone is going to post a thread saying about Matt Schaub's ability to move the ball in the clutch.

He'll have the last 2 drives' passing yards to his name and he'll rank pretty highly against others in the league.

However, what won't be remembered is his failure to get a drive started on many opportunities before it became clutch time. It won't take in to account the fact that we had to settle for a FG when we needed an 8 point TD, and it wont take into account that once he'd managed to get to the goal line with 7 seconds left, he chose to throw it straight to the oppo's DB rather than risk taking a hit with the game on the line.

I'm fuming. This guy is holding us back right now, I can't be sure whether he has regressed this season or if the Defensive woes simply took the heat off him the last few seasons.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #66
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
i mean its just dumb fundamentals on jacobys part, if ur QB is rolling out to ur side how do you stand there and let the CB get in front of you. IF jacoby was any kind of a WR we would of won that game. Do you think AJ would of let that happen ?
You weren't watching closely enough. Go back and look at that play. JJ WAS in front of the CB and WAS open. Schaub held the ball a tick too long and gave the CB time to recover.

It wasn't a bad route by JJ. It was a late throw - admittedly it was only a second late - by Schaub. And Schaub was under serious pressure.

Don't take my word for it, they'll probably replay that play often enough on NFLN. In fact, I'm watching right now.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #67
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 281570 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
What is the number one stat when ranking a QB? Passing Yards.
Without touching any other argument going on in this thread, I have to disagree with this. Passing yards are handed out like carnival prizes in today's NFL. Matt Schaub can rack up the yardage between the 20s and/or in certain scenarios in the game, but can be very ineffective when it counts the most. And then other times, he can hand the ball off between the 20s and complete the clutch throw here and there, get the score, and win the game.

I truly do not believe passing yardage is all that applicable today. QBs can put up massive yards and simply not be great QBs. Great QBs = great passing yardage, but great passing yardage != great QB.
Old 10-10-2011   #68
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 23870 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Without touching any other argument going on in this thread, I have to disagree with this. Passing yards are handed out like carnival prizes in today's NFL. Matt Schaub can rack up the yardage between the 20s and/or in certain scenarios in the game, but can be very ineffective when it counts the most. And then other times, he can hand the ball off between the 20s and complete the clutch throw here and there, get the score, and win the game.

I truly do not believe passing yardage is all that applicable today. QBs can put up massive yards and simply not be great QBs. Great QBs = great passing yardage, but great passing yardage != great QB.
I think we actually agree rather than disagree. The point I was making was that its the passing yards that gets the headlines but the more situational stuff isn't statisticalized (that's not a word is it!?).

Look at Schaub marching down the field yesterday, racking up the yards before throwing the game away. At the end of the season when he's got 4500 yards and everyone's saying he's top 10, the fact that he literally threw away this game will be a distant memory.
Old 10-10-2011   #69
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 396984 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
This is exhibit A in the case of Stats vs Reality.
yep.

I did not see this thread last week. Funny to see it today.

The last play says it all. It does not matter what you did to get there. All that matters is decisions made in clutch situations, in the final moments of a game to win it all or lose it.
Old 10-10-2011   #70
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I know you all remember how big a buzz would come out of a David Carr 300 yard losing effort (with a couple of garbage time TD passes thrown in). Getting excited about Schaub throwing for 400+ when we lost reeks of that same sentiment.
Old 10-10-2011   #71
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 163027 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe Kubiak needs to bring Rudy T in to talk to Schaub and the team. Never forget "Choke City"! That was how you respond but of course this is the Texans we are talking about....
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #72
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 129709 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #73
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I know you all remember how big a buzz would come out of a David Carr 300 yard losing effort (with a couple of garbage time TD passes thrown in). Getting excited about Schaub throwing for 400+ when we lost reeks of that same sentiment.
Yeah, but Schaub has been routinely passing for stats like that for the last two seasons and has been in a ton of games where he has had to continually throw the ball to stay in games or to try to win them because of the lack of defense. Many of you are conveniently neglecting to remember the defenses that he has had to play with and the bumbling HC he has had that has handicapped the team in many ways over the years. Two years ago Kubiak alone killed 3 games with his chaotic decisions and blind loyalty to put in Chris Brown on the GL to fumble the game away and to throw an INT pass. We would have gone 11-5 that season had Kubiak not blundered those games away with his love for Chris Brown despite how many times he screwed up. Decisions like that weren't on Schaub. Kubiak has had so many decisions like that have made things more difficult for Schaub as a QB and his blind loyalty.

I understand that Schaub has thrown some bad picks like in the Ravens game and a few others, but he has been able to generate a lot of points for the Texans at QB. It's not his fault that he's had a defense that has let a ton of points get scored on them year in and year out.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #74
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Chris Brown on the GL to fumble the game away and to throw an INT pass. .
Hmm, so what you are saying is we might as well have had Chris Brown at QB?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read