Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-08-2011   #21
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Antonio Smith... just doing what he always does

I dunno, it seems to me he has always played like he's playing now, it's just that the sacks are just showing up... could be the new scheme? or that the QB doesn't have five open receivers this year? I dunno... I just want to think he's always played this hard, and the new D is highlighting his skill...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011   #22
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72571 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
That is just whack.
I love it when old guys "get down" verbally"!! Just Cak.

Smith seems to be playing like he did in the playoff run for the Cards. Seeing him play at this level makes the occassional penalty sting a lot less.
Hopefully we'll see him abuse DMC this weekend. Run D is scaring the bleepity bleep-bleep outta me.
Old 10-08-2011   #23
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 46308 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Instead of a Batman & Robin relationship, we've got a Justice League.
Doesn't this belong in one of the "name the defense" threads?

I like it...and Antonio is playing great.
Old 10-08-2011   #24
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 72750 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
Call up Al Davis, you might have a place in his front office. All stats and no real football.
Might be hard to reach...... but jokes like this show his impact on the game.
Old 10-08-2011   #25
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 139861 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I love it when old guys "get down" verbally"!! Just Cak.

Smith seems to be playing like he did in the playoff run for the Cards. Seeing him play at this level makes the occassional penalty sting a lot less.
Hopefully we'll see him abuse DMC this weekend. Run D is scaring the bleepity bleep-bleep outta me.
FYI, when Infantrycak says whack he is usually referring to the sound an arrow makes hitting its target.
Old 10-08-2011   #26
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72571 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
FYI, when Infantrycak says whack he is usually referring to the sound an arrow makes hitting its target.
I should've known he wouldn't "get down" verbally.
Old 10-08-2011   #27
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 139861 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I should've known he wouldn't "get down" verbally.
Oh, he gets down but it is a slow, low crawl, sneaking upon a "victim" then he cuts loose with sharp tongue, bow and arrow or gun. Reminds me of me in my (ahem) younger days. Except I prefer choking a target.
Old 10-08-2011   #28
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83762 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
What makes Freeney so successful is #18 developing leads so Freeney and the rest of the Colts D can pin their ears back and have a QB sack lunch...
Umm no, The game a referenced in my post was LAST WEEK. Did Peyton Manning play last week?
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011   #29
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83762 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
i would rather have a guy get 50 sacks, instead of a guy who gets 2 sacks and 1000 hurries. Atleast we know what the end result of a sack is, we have all seen QBs escape the sack and throw the ball to open WRs down field. Sacks are very important.
LOL... a guy who racks up 50 sacks obviously consistently gets into the backfield, so what's the point of your argument?
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011   #30
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

I think he's doing very well because he's a better fit for the 3-4 than the 4-3. Last year he was better at the DT position, but season-injury to Barwin forced him to become the DE. He's always been getting pressures on the Qb and is a good RB stopper, but he's a lot better pash rusher in the 3-4, thanks to WP.
Old 10-08-2011   #31
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Antonio Smith was elected a team Captain, just sayin'

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011   #32
SuperSerial
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 SuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respectedSuperSerial is a quality contributor and well respected

I enjoy the ninja assassin death slash.
SuperSerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011   #33
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it also helps that JJ Watt and Connor Barwin and Mario are lining up to after the QB. There are just so many weapons, in addition to a good play calling scheme that we're left with one on ones and severe mismatches. This is what D lines need to be effective and we're finally seeing the fruits of our drafting labor.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011   #34
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

There is more D-line pressure coming from the interior now (Watt, Smith.)
In the past, when Smith and Mario would rush the edges, the QB would
simply step UP.

What the Texans have going now, is that pressure is coming from EVERY
WHERE. As Demeco would say, "EVERYBODY can GO EAT!"

I'm liking it so far.
Old 10-09-2011   #35
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 78686 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
LOL... a guy who racks up 50 sacks obviously consistently gets into the backfield, so what's the point of your argument?
the point is Smith may get in the back field often but he has lacked the ability to finish, up until this year. Mario has had a knack for finishing when he gets back there. BUT now we have pressure coming from all directions and there is no where for the QB to go so it is helping Smiths numbers and allowing him to finish IMO. Smith comes off the line faster than any DE i have seen and he has always been ale to get into the back field just never finished much.
Old 10-09-2011   #36
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
I think it also helps that JJ Watt and Connor Barwin and Mario are lining up to after the QB. There are just so many weapons, in addition to a good play calling scheme that we're left with one on ones and severe mismatches. This is what D lines need to be effective and we're finally seeing the fruits of our drafting labor.
I don't know if this is any different than any other year.

I think Antonio has just owned up to his leadership role on this team & is making the most of his opportunities. Regardless how he has played in the past, he had to step up his game.. that's what leaders do.

Two years ago, when everyone was "questioning" who was the best WR in the league... Andre stepped up his game. There was no question after that season.

Matt Schaub also stepped his game up that year, even though he was considered one of the better QBs in the league.

No defender should be saying, "I'm doing my job" they all need to look inside & do better. Antonio knew that & is getting it done. Regardless who is doing what around him, Antonio is making a statement, Antonio is leading the way. Antonio is being the leader we need on the DL.

& everyone is benefiting from his play, not the other way around.
Old 10-09-2011   #37
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
& everyone is benefiting from his play, not the other way around.
Not specific to this situation but I think that is a ridiculous football statement. Every player benefits from the good play of those around them and suffers from poor play around them. Mathis and Freeney make each other better. DE's will always benefit from good v. poor DT play. Smith is playing better this year (although I think he has played very well and been under appreciated since he got here) but this isn't a binary it is all him or none is him. These pieces and scheme have come together and all the players are benefiting.
Old 10-09-2011   #38
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Not specific to this situation but I think that is a ridiculous football statement. Every player benefits from the good play of those around them and suffers from poor play around them. Mathis and Freeney make each other better. DE's will always benefit from good v. poor DT play. Smith is playing better this year (although I think he has played very well and been under appreciated since he got here) but this isn't a binary it is all him or none is him. These pieces and scheme have come together and all the players are benefiting.
True....... true
Old 10-09-2011   #39
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 78686 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

When Williams left the field A. Smith miswell of went with him. Just saying
Old 10-10-2011   #40
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Antonio Smith was elected a team Captain, just sayin'
Well he is going to really need to step into that role with Mario gone. After this thread and all the talk about Smith being a leader I watched more closely who was talking before the game while the D was huddled up. It was Mario and DeMeco.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read