Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-09-2011   #61
jtexas
Veteran

Rep Power: 966 jtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respectedjtexas is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The mad at Schaub thread

I hope vickers lets schaub punch him in the nuts for dropping that ball.
jtexas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011   #62
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub's utterly stupid blunder on the last play of the game is a career-defining play. That is Schaub for you in a nutshell. The game is on the line, he has a chance to win it, but instead he hesitates, makes the wrong decision and ruins everyone's Hispanic Heritage Day.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011   #63
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 166542 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
Schaub's utterly stupid blunder on the last play of the game is a career-defining play. That is Schaub for you in a nutshell. The game is on the line, he has a chance to win it, but instead he hesitates, makes the wrong decision and ruins everyone's Hispanic Heritage Day.
Schaub lost the game because he was still always looking for AJ. Before next game, someone should sit him down and emphasize that AJ is not an option.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011   #64
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 51708 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Well, at least the big game ending heartbreak INT is out of the way. And they're still 3-2.

Definitely giving it a big "same old shit" but I wouldn't put it on him solely.
So we still have the sack-fumble and dropped pass to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011   #65
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

As late as last season, I was still defending Schaub as being on his way to elite status. And as recently as the New Orleans game two weeks ago, I suddenly saw evidence that aligned everything I know about him into a conclusion that is very uncomfortable and difficult to acknowledge.

Basically, Schaub is damaged goods and has reached his ceiling. His stats are better than ever, but he crumbles when the game is on the line. I saw a glimpse of this last season when we played the Ravens on MNF. The pick-six in OT is not a mistake that championship caliber quarterbacks make. He will lead the team to the border of the promised land, then seal their defeat.

The moment my mind changed was when Schaub took a dive in the 4th quarter against the Saints when he had plenty of space to escape. Normally, I think taking the dive is a smart play, but that instance was another sample of an increasing pattern of freaking out while under pressure.

When the pocket collapses, a championship quarterback scrambles, improvises, and plays the hand he's dealt-- think Brees, Rodgers, and Manning. Schaub? He won't scramble. He's been throwing at feet, taking unnecessary dives, and forcing it to covered players for an interception.

It's sad to say, but the frequency of this is increasing. Personally, I can't say I would be very cool-headed when a 270 lbs athlete is about to transfer a 2000 lbs shockwave of kinetic energy through my body, but we need Schaub to be that guy-- and he is not anymore.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011   #66
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub is what he is. I eventually stopped getting mad at David Carr for being incapable of meeting the expectations we had of him and I'm reaching that point with Schaub. He's a very good starter with some basic limitations. I think we should be looking to upgrade the position but I'm not prepared to just throw him out the door without someone better (or at least potentially better) ready to step in.

Look, if you like Matt Schaub there's nothing wrong with you. If you think that he's just a few breaks away from being a Brees/Brady/Manning then you're a little deluded. We have seen the very best Matt Schaub has to offer. If you think otherwise then you're mistaken. Ask yourself "Are you satisfied with what you've seen from Matt Schaub?"

I'm not. We've seen pretty good QB play from him but he's a mistake waiting to happen when the pressure is on.

But it doesn't help that we've got NOBODY to step in when AJ is down. Going into 2011 without a legitimate #2 when all those options were available is as bad a mistake as going into 2010 with a bunch of rookie CB's was.
Old 10-09-2011   #67
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Schaub is what he is. I eventually stopped getting mad at David Carr for being incapable of meeting the expectations we had of him and I'm reaching that point with Schaub. He's a very good starter with some basic limitations. I think we should be looking to upgrade the position but I'm not prepared to just throw him out the door without someone better (or at least potentially better) ready to step in.

Look, if you like Matt Schaub there's nothing wrong with you. If you think that he's just a few breaks away from being a Brees/Brady/Manning then you're a little deluded. We have seen the very best Matt Schaub has to offer. If you think otherwise then you're mistaken. Ask yourself "Are you satisfied with what you've seen from Matt Schaub?"

I'm not. We've seen pretty good QB play from him but he's a mistake waiting to happen when the pressure is on.

But it doesn't help that we've got NOBODY to step in when AJ is down. Going into 2011 without a legitimate #2 when all those options were available is as bad a mistake as going into 2010 with a bunch of rookie CB's was.
I agree with all of this. It's also on Kubiak that we renewed a useless (first time I've described him that way) Jacoby Jones instead of paying the same money for Plaxico.

I am convinced about two basic truths about this offense:

1) If you rely on smaller/faster linemen, you must have a QB that can scramble when they get out-physicalled (yes, I just coined that term).

2) Your offense should never rely on two or three skill players to succeed. Think Packers, Saints, Giants.
Old 10-09-2011   #68
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 166542 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

Great post, Hervoyel.

You should know what to expect from Schaub by now:

TDs>>>>>>>>>>>9 (2011)>>>>>>>>>>92 (career)

INTs>>>>>>>>>>5 (2011)>>>>>>>>>>57 (career)
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011   #69
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 106068 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Unless we go 16-0 fire Schaub.

Just stop the fire Schaub nonsense. He shouldn't have been in that position.
You're right, he should have not over/under/sideways-thrown his receivers the entire 3rd quarter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
Lol.....fricking Vandy would get his panties tied up if anyone said anything bad on the air anyway.
He better brace his arse for this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtexas View Post
I hope vickers lets schaub punch him in the nuts for dropping that ball.
No Joke...If this was high school, that guy would be running laps AFTER the game.
Old 10-09-2011   #70
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally I think that if Schaub runs that ball in and wins the game there is a different thread about Schaub where so many on this board are talking about him like he is John Wayne or Sparticus. He screws up in a very close game where he threw for over 400 yards and instead he's talked about and compared to David Carr of all people.

A lot of you guys need to get over the fact that Schaub isn't an elite QB. So what. If you ever thought he was on the level of Brees, Rodgers, or Rivers, then you were drinking to much Texans Kool Aid and overrating the guy. He is still pretty good and one of the brighter spots on this team. Maybe if the HC and other players of this team could play better football all around the board Schaub wouldn't always be in so many situations where he is forced to either be the big hero or the big zero.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011   #71
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71024 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Personally I think that if Schaub runs that ball in and wins the game there is a different thread about Schaub where so many on this board are talking about him like he is John Wayne or Sparticus. He screws up in a very close game where he threw for over 400 yards and instead he's talked about and compared to David Carr of all people.

A lot of you guys need to get over the fact that Schaub isn't an elite QB. So what. If you ever thought he was on the level of Brees, Rodgers, or Rivers, then you were drinking to much Texans Kool Aid and overrating the guy. He is still pretty good and one of the brighter spots on this team. Maybe if the HC and other players of this team could play better football all around the board Schaub wouldn't always be in so many situations where he is forced to either be the big hero or the big zero.
Great post i agree 100%
Old 10-09-2011   #72
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Quote:

True, but to win a championship, I'm convinced we need another QB.

I'm normally the guy that defends him, but I've seen enough by now.
Old 10-09-2011   #73
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
True, but to win a championship, I'm convinced we need another QB.

I'm normally the guy that defends him, but I've seen enough by now.

How could you be so convinced that we need another QB to win a SB, but not convinced that we need another coach??? I'm at a loss there, because coaching has been a waaaaaayyy bigger problem with this franchise in the Kubiak/Schaub era than what the QB play has been from Schaub. Do you want to see Kubiak running this team with some rookie or some guy like Garrard?

And what are you suggesting we do than?? get rid of Schaub after this season? And how do you expect to find another QB right now when this team is in their window of opportunity to win now?? Where is this QB going to come from? The Texans aren't going to lose so badly to where they can get Andrew Luck if they went with the draft. Where are you going to find someone better in free agency or by trade?? What team in their right mind would give us a QB they have that is already better than Schaub? I can't think of any. So you'd have to draft some rookie and wait for him to develop. By that time AJ is old and maybe demanding a trade and who knows what's going on with this team, and you never even know with a rookie if he'd be better than Schaub because Schaub is a guy that's a top 10 type of QB.
Old 10-09-2011   #74
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 18204 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Great post, Hervoyel.

You should know what to expect from Schaub by now:

TDs>>>>>>>>>>>9 (2011)>>>>>>>>>>92 (career)

INTs>>>>>>>>>>5 (2011)>>>>>>>>>>57 (career)
Fumbles 2011 = 1
Career 33
Old 10-09-2011   #75
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Rep Power: 18204 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well so what are you suggesting than?? get rid of him after this season? And how do you expect to find another QB right now when this team is in their window of opportunity to win now?? Where is this QB going to come from? The Texans aren't going to lose so badly to where they can get Andrew Luck if they went with the draft. Where are you going to find someone better in free agency or by trade?? What team in their right mind would give us a QB they have that is already better than Schaub? I can't think of any. So you'd have to draft some rookie and wait for him to develop. By that time AJ is old and maybe demanding a trade and who knows what's going on with this team, and you never even know with a rookie if he'd be better than Schaub because Schaub is a guy that's a top 10 type of QB.
And this is why it sucks to be us ....
Old 10-09-2011   #76
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy View Post
We're 3-2 for now and in an awful division. This team can still turn things around possibly.
Old 10-09-2011   #77
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71024 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy View Post
NOT REALLY, just think a few years ago we wouldnt of been able to have these arguments. Atleast we are competing now, i remember not so long ago we were so bad that it was almost comical. Now we have a shot, and even after today we still have a shot.
Old 10-09-2011   #78
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

It's not a "Fire Schaub" kind of thing. It's a case of always being on the lookout for the next Texans QB because he's better but the position still needs to get better. Schaub has "improved" since arriving here from Atlanta but he's not improving anymore and frankly he's starting to look like one of those college "system quarterbacks" who are really great in a system they know inside out but when you take them out of their element they fall apart. Maybe that's not the best analogy but there's something going on here. He's not the borderline elite QB he appears to be some of the time. I think that's just a side effect of throwing to AJ.

Take AJ away from him and he starts looking pretty ordinary. Put the game on his shoulders after taking AJ away from him and it gets worse. This league doesn't stop changing. Everyone can and eventually will be upgraded.
Old 10-09-2011   #79
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
NOT REALLY, just think a few years ago we wouldnt of been able to have these arguments. Atleast we are competing now, i remember not so long ago we were so bad that it was almost comical. Now we have a shot, and even after today we still have a shot.
The logical part of me wants to agree with you. The emotional part of me wants to burn down the stadium right now.

I have been waving that Texans flag for so long, major hope. They really lost me last year. I just felt like that dog who couldn't get kicked anymore.

I came back, as I always have. But honestly, I just don't know how much more I can handle. I am so utterly sick of the "coulda, woulda, shoulda's".

Told my husband earlier, take someone else with you to the rest of the games & we'll sell our other set. I'm just *this close* to being over it.

BTW - anyone know a good tattoo remover?
Old 10-09-2011   #80
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Quote:
We're 3-2 for now and in an awful division. This team can still turn things around possibly.

Being the cream of the crop in the suck division isn't my idea of turning things around.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read