Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-01-2005   #1
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler
Default Practices this week

I took a couple of the guys up to the practice on thurs. as part of a mentor program with the Texans. I observed some interesting things.

1. Jerome Mathis is freakishly fast and our corners can not cover him. If my count was correct he was acting as Chad Johnson on the second team and killed our first team defense for several (4) TDs. I know he has been hurt, but it is about time we let him on the field. The kid also maybe droped 3 balls all day.

2. Pendry is as vocal a coach as I have met. He holds these men to responsibility for their actions, and it is nice to see him not coddling the players.

3. It was nice to see the coaches so fired up. They literally were on every players *** for the good and the bad. Trying to improve both, and I think that will bode well for better performances on Sunday.

4. I saw a lot of 3wr sets that featured AJ, Gaff, and Armstrong. It was a setup that seemed Carr was most comfortable in. It also created several rushing lanes for DD. Also, a plus out of it was more middle of the field passing which armstrong and Gaff were doing exceptionally well at. Mathis was also quite nice in this set. One play had AJ running a slant from the flanker and Mathis in the slot running deep. It completely opened up AJ, but Carr still went deep to Mathis and the kid burned Faggins for his 2nd touchdown of the drill.

5. D. Carr's brother is huge he is 6'6" and a freshman in HS, and he literally can launch the rock 50 yards flat footed.

After practice was over I found myself excited to see what actually happens on Sunday. The team looks more fired up and focused which is a definate improvement over the last two games.
Coach C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005   #2
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

So basically Chad Johnson is going to kill us on Sunday.

I hope Mathis is able to jump start the special teams with his speed. It should be interesting. I hope for the teams sake they come out focused. Thanks for the post. It was a good read.
sakebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005   #3
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
1. Jerome Mathis is freakishly fast and our corners can not cover him. If my count was correct he was acting as Chad Johnson on the second team and killed our first team defense for several (4) TDs.
I'm starting to wish they would start Mathis.

Last edited by HJam72; 10-01-2005 at 08:53 AM.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005   #4
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 4615 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

SHHHHHHHHH!

These Been-Gals fans don't know anything about Mathis and Armstrong.

Old 10-01-2005   #5
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It was nice to see the coaches so fired up.
The prospect of standing in an unemployment line has a way of doing that
to you.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005   #6
Texas
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to Texas

Good post. I hope we put mathis and armstrong out there this weekend.
Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005   #7
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 125280 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

if mathis is half as fast as folks say he is, i'm getting an itch to see him too ... not going to get my hopes up on his hands yet, but he could be a serious homerun threat.

Quote:
4. I saw a lot of 3wr sets that featured AJ, Gaff, and Armstrong. It was a setup that seemed Carr was most comfortable in. It also created several rushing lanes for DD. Also, a plus out of it was more middle of the field passing which armstrong and Gaff were doing exceptionally well at. Mathis was also quite nice in this set. One play had AJ running a slant from the flanker and Mathis in the slot running deep. It completely opened up AJ, but Carr still went deep to Mathis and the kid burned Faggins for his 2nd touchdown of the drill.
this is what excites me. i think atleast 60% of our offense needs to come out of 3wr sets. what i'm most afraid to see is pendry falling back to max-protect. with the lack of talent that we have, it wouldnt matter if we dropped 12 to protect against a full rush ... we need to throw at the blitz.
Old 10-01-2005   #8
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91312 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakebomb
So basically Chad Johnson is going to kill us on Sunday.
If Palmer has all day long to throw the ball, of course he's going to kill us. :brickwall

I'm still trying to figure out how firing Palmer is going to help rushing the passer, but then I don't know anything.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005   #9
touttail
All Pro

Quote:
It completely opened up AJ, but Carr still went deep to Mathis and the kid burned Faggins for his 2nd touchdown of the drill.
Great post! Some good info.

Just wondering, I've seen Petey get burned alot when he plays CB. Hopefully he won't fall in the same grove as PBurnt.

bobby 119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005   #10
touttail
All Pro

Quote:
The team looks more fired up and focused which is a definate improvement over the last two games.
I said a while back that our team has some kind of a funk with no desire. I would love to see them get their swagger back and kick some butt for a change!

bobby 119C
touttail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005   #11
NFLforher
All Pro

Quote:
I took a couple of the guys up to the practice on thurs. as part of a mentor program with the Texans. I observed some interesting things.

1. Jerome Mathis is freakishly fast and our corners can not cover him. If my count was correct he was acting as Chad Johnson on the second team and killed our first team defense for several (4) TDs. I know he has been hurt, but it is about time we let him on the field. The kid also maybe droped 3 balls all day.

2. Pendry is as vocal a coach as I have met. He holds these men to responsibility for their actions, and it is nice to see him not coddling the players.

3. It was nice to see the coaches so fired up. They literally were on every players *** for the good and the bad. Trying to improve both, and I think that will bode well for better performances on Sunday.

5. D. Carr's brother is huge he is 6'6" and a freshman in HS, and he literally can launch the rock 50 yards flat footed.

After practice was over I found myself excited to see what actually happens on Sunday. The team looks more fired up and focused which is a definate improvement over the last two games.

D Carr has another brother (Darren) who is 6' 5" and 23 years old. You sure you're not talking about him?
NFLforher is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read