Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-02-2004   #21
J-Man
Veteran

The unfortunate thing is that Joppru is dinging our salary cap for 2yrs and hasn't seen suited up for a single game. I am not sure what his contract is but as we've all seen, every little bit counts. I think the jury is definetly still out on Joppru, but there is only so much time you can give a guy to recover before you have to cut your losses. I am not sure what the answer is for this guy, but I hope he can get on the field and we can find out what we are actually paying for.

Eat 'em Up, KATS!
J-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004   #22
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
you'd have to consider him a bust right now.
Lots of players are Pup'ed right now. Like Grant Winstrom in Seattle for example; he will play this year, I guarantee it. I won't consider him a bust until he is cut or can't play this season. Unless you can see the future, nobody can say if he will get on the field or not this year. Being pup'ed is not like getting cut or being put on IR.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004   #23
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

His signing bonus was $1.6 on a 4 year deal. His bases are league minimum or close to it.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004   #24
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

To Shetexan - you're remarks re. Bennie Joppru and his unjury are way out of
line ! I'm going to assume you don't realize that, else you wouldn't have made them in the first place.
BJ didn't cause his injury, it just happened to him. The guy is probably totally distraught about now, faced with the real posiblility of not having the opportunity to realize his potential and compete for a place on the team - in other words his career in the NFL may be over without really having starting.
I thought a 2nd round pick was high for him - but he could have come in as a 7th round pick, same effect upon him.
As far as Miller goes, he is not our long-term, permanent solution at TE. He is
basically a slow WR masquerading as a TE - whether from lack of bulk, strength, blocking tecnique, or a combination of one or more, he's inadequate as a blocker
at the TE position.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004   #25
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ____V____
Lots of players are Pup'ed right now. Like Grant Winstrom in Seattle for example; he will play this year, I guarantee it. I won't consider him a bust until he is cut or can't play this season. Unless you can see the future, nobody can say if he will get on the field or not this year. Being pup'ed is not like getting cut or being put on IR
The difference between Wistrom and Joppru is the severity of injuries and the prognosis. Joppru hasn't played a down yet in the NFL, while Wistrom has. That is not even a close analogy. We can already call Joppru a bust because he has not played a down for us and it doesn't look good for him for this year either. So ya, he's been a bust. There's been tons of players that have landed on the PUP never to return during the season.
Old 08-02-2004   #26
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I wasn't comparing their NFL contributions. Only the fact that PUP'ed players aren't lost for the year.
Old 08-02-2004   #27
SESupergenius

Then I don't know what your argument is. PUP'd players CAN be lost for a year. With the severity of his injury it looks like he will. It's been well over a year now. No I can't see the future, but I can learn from the past.
Old 08-02-2004   #28
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Im not arguing anything. Just making candid comments.
Old 08-02-2004   #29
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
To Shetexan - you're remarks re. Bennie Joppru and his unjury are way out of line ! I'm going to assume you don't realize that, else you wouldn't have made them in the first place.
BJ didn't cause his injury, it just happened to him. The guy is probably totally distraught about now, faced with the real posiblility of not having the opportunity to realize his potential and compete for a place on the team - in other words his career in the NFL may be over without really having starting.
I thought a 2nd round pick was high for him - but he could have come in as a 7th round pick, same effect upon him.
As far as Miller goes, he is not our long-term, permanent solution at TE. He is
basically a slow WR masquerading as a TE - whether from lack of bulk, strength, blocking tecnique, or a combination of one or more, he's inadequate as a blocker
at the TE position.
I cannot understand anyone making fun of injured players either. Anytime there are high hopes from the Texans of getting strength at a position and it doesn't pan out, it hurts the whole team. They don't need the setbacks.
Bruener coming over from the Steelers should hopefully help. I would imagine they got him just in case what happened to Joppru happened. Bruener seems experienced enough to take over as long as he stays healthy and maybe he can help Miller along some. But weak links have to be replaced at all positions if we want to be a contending team.
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004   #30
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

I'm pretty disappointed that Joppru's had another set back. I was under the impression that it was a difficult injury to recover from, but I was really encouraged by the progress he seemed to be making in the mini-camps. Luckily we have two good TE's to play if Joppru's a no-go. I hope he comes back to play this season, h*ll I just hope he comes back to play for us period, because using a 2nd round pick for a player that never hits the field really takes a negative hit on the outcome of last years draft. More importantly I feel sorry for the guy, going from the elation of being selected in the second round to facing the possibility of having to find a new career is a rough start in the real world.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read