Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 05-03-2008   #421
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Duane Brown: First Round pick of the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
1. it made no sense and anyone who wasn't homering could see that the guy was a total scrub and no amount of coddling and coaching would ever change his mechanics, intelligence, and work ethic. but the homers, such as yourself, blamed everything under the moon besides the problem because of blind allegiance to a player much less the team. this shows lack of objectivity.

2. our defense still sucks and may be worse this year. our defense needed more help than our offense IMHO.

3. my point is that other than Adibi, the defensive help we got will probably make little impact in 2008 outside of maybe Moulden as a nickel.

1. Well, in 2004, at least for the first half of the season, we were winning games and he had a high QB rating, particularly in the 4th quarter. Do you recall the Minnesota game that season? Also, I never heard anything about his work ethic until things unraveled in 2005. By that point, I wanted a new staff and wanted the new staff to independantly evaluate all the players, including Carr.

2. The defense got the majority of the draft picks and the free agent attention this off-season, so it did get more help than the offense. I'm not sure why you think the defense will be worse this year- I guess that's your cynicism shining through again

3. Rookies usually struggle to make much impact. So, if we have two defensive rookies that make a positive impact on the defense, that's good.

I still don't understand how fans are still blaming this regime for decisions like the Babin trade and the PBurnt trade. That was a different staff. This staff makes very good decisions- even when it's not popular to do so... you are a UT homer right? Still bitter about the fact that we didn't take a QB in the draft that was much worse his second season that Carr was in his second season, '03.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008   #422
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Duane Brown = Texans' First Round Choice

Quote:
translation: you don't agree with the Texans so you are ignored.

if the Texans had a better track record, I may give them the benefit of the doubt, but this pick smells like the Babin pick.
First, please don't play the martyr card.

Second, your Babin/Brown comparison is fundamentally flawed because you're ignoring the cost/benefit analysis behind each pick.

The Texans traded up to get Babin, and it cost them a 2nd, 3rd, and a 4th to get the deal done.

They traded down to get Brown, picking up an extra 3rd, which they used to draft Steve Slaton.

Texans Chick wrote a great blog entry recently about the damage Charley Casserly did to the franchise with his handling of mid-round picks. The Babin trade is a perfect example of what she was referring to. We all agree that the franchise has made a number of poor draft decisions since its inception, but the guys running the show now have a completely different approach. Even if Brown proves to be a reach, what did he cost? Very little, IMO.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008   #423
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
how many Super Bowls has Gibbs been to without Elway? ZERO. Excuse me if I wait for him to 'Show Me' that he can make it work here. You would think based on some people's opinions of his system that defensive lines will part like Moses at the Red Sea and we will run through the playoffs like a hot knife through butter.
Well, I'd like to know your opinion of other coaches around the league. Let's just take your thought process. (of course Gibbs isn't a head coach so I'm not too sure it's that fair in the 1st place)

How many Super Bowls has Bill Bilichik been too without Tom Brady?
How many Super Bowls has Tony Dungy been too without Peyton Manning?
How many Super Bowls has Coach X been to without Franchise QB Y?

You get my point.

I think a more fair assessment would be to analyze how the Offenses have faired in relation to other teams in the league while Gibbs has been with that team, don't you? More importantly, a main reason for hiring Gibbs is to get better at running the ball- Kubiak has stated countless times, 'we have to get better running the ball.' Keep in mind, Gibbs isn't here to coach the team to multiple super bowls, Kubiak is. Gibbs is here to install his system and players, and get the lines blocking correctly for better rushing and passing.

Quote:
Gibbs brings a wealth of coaching and administrative experience to the Texans. In his most recent coaching position, he served as the assistant head coach/offensive line, as well as consultant, with the Atlanta Falcons from 2004-06. In 2004 the Falcons led the NFL in rushing for the first time in team history. They rushed for a team-record 2,672 yards, third highest rushing yards total in the NFL since 1990.

During the three seasons with Gibbs on staff in Atlanta, the team led the NFL in rushing with 8,157 yards. Atlanta was the only team over that three-year period to record a rushing average above five yards at 5.1.
Quote:
Gibbs worked with Texans head coach Gary Kubiak, who served as the offensive coordinator in Denver, from 1995-03. During their time together, the Broncos led the NFL in rushing with 20,150 yards. Denver finished second in total offense with 54,167 yards during their nine seasons together.

He spent 13 combined seasons (1984-1987 and 1995-2003) mentoring the offensive line with the Broncos, where he established several franchise records. He played an essential role with the Broncos during their back-to-back Super Bowl wins in the late 90s. The offensive line set numerous franchise records during his second tenure with Denver, including most total yards (6,554 in 2000), most first downs (383 in 2000), most rushing yards (2,468 in 1998) and most rushing touchdowns (32 in 1998).

From 1995-2000, Gibbs’ offensive lines did not allow more than 35 sacks in a season. And during that span center Tom Nalen went to four consecutive Pro Bowls; and in 1998, three Broncos offensive linemen were nominated to the Pro Bowl for their role in winning their second consecutive Pro Bowl and blocking for NFL MVP Terrell Davis, who rushed for over 2,000 yards.
Alex Gibbs Bio

Last edited by Ole Miss Texan; 05-03-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008   #424
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 80379 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Don't you pollute this conversation with your stupid FACTS
Old 08-19-2011   #425
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 80379 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I hate this pick. In fact this is the same way I felt when we passed on DJ and drafted Travis Johnson.
Wanted to bump this thread.

How do you guys feel about the pick now?
Old 08-19-2011   #426
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Wanted to bump this thread.

How do you guys feel about the pick now?
A quality LT is worth a first round pick .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011   #427
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101586 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

It was a good pick. Duane Brown has out performed the majority of the tackles drafted ahead of him. He's a good player who's still developing and with his athleticism he's already dominant in the running game.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011   #428
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I consider this a very good pick. I think this pick frequently gets over looked and under-rated.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #429
b0ng
Ooops

Brown does have his shortcomings, no lied about that. He is a pretty good LT though and I think the moves made to get him into the fold were well worth it. I definitely would not have said this after his inaugural season though, cause he was straight up bad.
Old 08-23-2011   #430
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Worth a first round pick. Alex deserves a credit in drafting Brown. Alex taught the fundamental of ZBS and Dennison took our running game to the next level.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011   #431
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Ill admit that I was surprised to see Duane called in the first. I thought we were targeting Chris Williams in the first and since he was drafted ahead of us we accepted the trade down to 26. I think the Texans let the run on tackles get to them, and personally feel that a 2nd trade down still would have netted them Duane Brown. But maybe the NFL teams thought of Brown as well as we did and were prepaired to take him with a later 1 or early 2.

Sometimes you just have to stay where you are and take your man rather than trade down and end up with a guy you didnt like as much.
Looking back I am proud of my early analysis post and stand by it. Alot of posters in this thread cant say the same thing. Overreact much? SWTbound?

Looking back after the 3 year rule I can safely say that I am happy with this pick as you can never have enough good linemen and Brown is a good one.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011   #432
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1365 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected

If we haven't heard about him in the news, then it's a good thing.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011   #433
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
you know a couple months ago Chris Williams was projected as a 2nd rd. pick. Albert was'nt even being mentioned. Brown to people who have access to game film or followed Virginia Tech football know all about him. he is a ZBS LT prospect & Gibbs will coach him up. he has reach & hand size over Williams, is clean on & off the field. I'll trust Rick that he believes Gibbs recomendation. the Texans had to address this position, Matt Schaub has to be protected better & I hear he (Duane) has a nasty mean streak
Guess I was wrong about being clean on & off the field seriously that had to be just a common mistake. Duane Brown has turned into a very serviceable starting caliber NFL LT. For a late first round pick that's good value & if Slaton can return to form that makes Rick Smith move even better.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011   #434
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Great pick. Starting caliber LT for one of the league's most potent offensive teams.... Great value and provides a solution at a key position for the foreseeable future barring injury.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011   #435
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I likee the pick also but would like to see him in a non-zbs offense along with Winston.
Old 08-26-2011   #436
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quietly competent, much like our whole offensive line. Good pick and good value. Probably will never be an all pro, but MIGHT make a probowl.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011   #437
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Quietly competent, much like our whole offensive line. Good pick and good value. Probably will never be an all pro, but MIGHT make a probowl.
I think there were 6 LTs drafted before him . I'll bet he's doing better than most .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011   #438
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

This makes me think back on and laugh at the epic John Harris meltdown about the pick.

It's actually a microcosm of John Harris in and of himself.
Old 08-27-2011   #439
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I think there were 6 LTs drafted before him . I'll bet he's doing better than most .
Jake Long, drafted #1 overall by the Dolphins. 3 times to the Pro Bowl. 1 time first team All Pro. Started every game since drafted.

Ryan Clady, drafted #12 overall by the Broncos. 1 Pro Bowl and 1 time first team All Pro. Started every game since drafted.

Chris Williams, drafted #14 overall by the Bears. Has had some problems. Last year started 13 games as their left guard. (I was hoping we'd get this guy; I didn't think Clady would fall to us.)

Gosder Cherilous, drafted #17 overall by the Lions. Plays RT. Has missed games every year.

Jeff Otah, drafted #19 by the Panthers. Plays RT. Has missed games every year and missed all of 2010.

Sam Baker, drafted #21 by the Falcons. Considered by some to be "the most NFL ready" but with a low ceiling. He's the Falcons starting LT.

Duane's turned out pretty good.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011   #440
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Not to bash him, because he's doing great, but I seem to remember Brown (as well as Cushing) having to sit out some games because of 'roid-type accusations. My point is that maybe Cushing will be fine once he gets settled this year.

HJam72 is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read