Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-29-2005   #21
covcath1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exascor
Actually the source is Football Outsiders and not Fox. Fox switched to their rankings this week. They use a more rigid system to evaluate the teams. They include last season as part of the calculations for the first part of the season which is why we are 31st instead of 32nd. This hurts to hear though:

Bengals: The best team in the NFL through three games. Really. See extended commentary below. NEXT: vs. HOU Houston? Man, you have got to be kidding me. Fox Power Rankings
I don't buy the 32nd or 31st ranking for that matter. I really believe the Texans are better than G.B., Arizona, Jets (because of Q.B. issues), Ravens and probably several other teams..you aren't in the top half of the teams right now, but you are better than how the team has played so far. The Bengals have a very fortuitous schedule this year and I believe close to a lock for a wildcard since the Jets (see above) are going to struggle.
covcath1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005   #22
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I had the pleasure of the NFL network this weekend and I have not seen a team in the entire league that was as bad as us across the board. Unfortunaltely we deserve dead last.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005   #23
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

They asked Jimmy Johnson last week on the Fox show which was the worse of the teams that hadn't won and he said the Texans. I'm not so sure I'd put them at the bottom but the time to win is now.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005   #24
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
Appreciate the insight. I still do not take any credence in national media when it comes to Football prognostication.
Actually I don't either. Clicky The only people that are worse at judging teams than the media is the home team fans. Check out the ESPN Sportsnation polls to see how strong homerism (is that a new word?) is in the sports world. I enjoy seeing what the national media says because they usually are more honest than local media. The rankings are as silly as the bowl system that NCAA football uses.
Old 09-29-2005   #25
jppaul
Cut and Dry

Rep Power: 1193 jppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respectedjppaul is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC_Justin
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking

yeah were ranked last but the funny thing is they have us at 0-3. No wonder we are ranked so low, they have us losing during our bye week.
Wow, thats a first.

Didn't the Patriots go 0-2 a couple of years back, including a humilating 31-0 loss to the Bills, before they went to the SuperBowl?

History is on our side. I'm calling it now: SUPERBOWL winners: texans.

With Pendry calling a wide open offensive attack that includes plays like inside slant to Tory James and Option pitch to Clark Haggans. We are so in the money. Take that to the Bank, ye doubters.

Last edited by jppaul; 09-29-2005 at 02:53 PM.
jppaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005   #26
Mr Shush
Veteran

FO's rankings system really is different - there is no opinion involved, as the measure is purely statistical. But this early in the season, there hasn't really been enough data collected for the statistical rankings to be that meaningful - it's hard to adjust for strength of opponent when you don't yet know how good the opponents were either, because they too have only played three games. I believe we are better than GB, San Fran, Detroit or Cleveland for sure, and probably also than the Cards (Warner-less edition), Jets (Bollinger/Testaverde edition), Titans, Bears or Saints. So 23rd, in my rankings, and I believe that the truth of that will come out over the course of the season.

I would also like to point out that it is laughable of ESPN to imply that if a group of players fail with two different coaches/co-ordinators then the talent level must be poor. Not only is it plausible that two successive co-ordinators could both suck, it looks very much like it is actually the case here. If we make one big signing this off-season, please God make it an O-line coach. Saban gets it; so should we.
Mr Shush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005   #27
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Shush
I believe that the truth of that will come out over the course of the season.
I believe the truth will come out as well and we won't be picking 1st in the draft. Unfortunately based on the first 3 weeks of the season we are the worst team by a long ways. Any other opinion is based on the team's "potential" and speculation of how the team should perform. The past 2 games have shown how the team really performed and are the only thing we have to judge this team on so far this year. There were no positives from either game. Both the teams we played have been beaten and one was beaten twice. All we can do is hope that the team improves enough to give the Bengals a challenge.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read