Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-31-2004   #21
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Earl did it on his own. Elvin needed help. McClain is already on the Eddie George for the HOF bandwagon. I don't see it.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004   #22
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I only mention age because I don't expect young guys to know McClain's work a decade or so ago. I either assumed you were young or not and old Oiler fan. Nothing deeper than that.

IMO, Eddie George is not a HOF back. He has been "good" for a while, but I have never considered him an elite back. I sure hope he doesn't make it although I have nothing against him. I just like to see the HOF as a place for special players. George is a stand up guy, a team leader and someone you can count on, but he has never struck me as one of the top 5 backs in any given year.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004   #23
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Eddie George has been a good solid RB and occasionaly turned in a great game, and any team would have be glad to have him, but not a HOF type back IMO.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004   #24
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

And everything goes back to the fact that John McClain has never separated himself from Bud Adams. That was never louder than during the 'Houston Greatest' thing.. Bud Adams shunned/McClain backed out. Funny how that happened.
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004   #25
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It felt to me from reading these boards that although several posters felt John McClain was 'untouchable' (it felt like he arranged something for them, but I don't know) others were really upset by the coverage.
you hit the nail on the head with that one, MISTRIL. McClain has managed to hand out a few free tickets and other 'favors' to certain board members in a blatent attemt to ingratiate himself and get out of the 'hot seat' treatment that this board USED to give him.

Now since a few fellow MB members don't want to 'bite the hand that feeds them' these special 'courtesys' and be cut out of the free tickets/ tours/ Texans team handshake's, they have significantly changed their tune regarding him.

a few, such as aj, still can see the truth of McLame's abysmal reporting and OBVIOUS favortism of the Titans/Cowboys. To put it in an old cliche "you lay down with dogs you are going to get up with fleas". I have personally declined any and all invitations simply because of that fact. McLame knows how to pass out 'goodies' and get out of the hot seat. He is an expert at that. IMHO though, that is the ONLY thing he is an expert at.
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004   #26
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I like JM. He's a good guy and was a very good host up at Nashville last year. He went out of his way to make sure we were having a good time.

My gripe is that I'd just like to see a little more NFL variety from our NFL beat writer. It's really never been the 'quality' of the work (talking about features now - not the notebook), as much as it has been the 'subject(s)' of the work. Add together JMs article on C9 and the notebook in Sports2 today and there's nearly a page on the Cowboys again in the Houston paper. I expect it will be like that for a week until he moves down to Carson for a quick stop at Chargers camp.

I think we get it already....tuna tuna tuna ...jerry jerry jerry...Bryant kisses and and makes up ... whatever.

I'd like to get some perspective on what the Colts and Jags are doing. What about some of the Texans opponents this year like the Chargers, Broncos, Chiefs, Raiders, Packers, Vikings, Browns, etc? I don't mind some Cowboys and Titans coverage, and I get why they are doing it, but it still seems like there is, and throughout the season will be an inordinate amount of time being spent with one team that we don't even play this season. Whatever -- it's not as big of a deal as I'm making it up to be (just a small burr in the saddle).

Enough on that.....I've got more important things to worry about like our chronically ill TE position, lack of quality depth at SS, and three veteran defensive starters who are coming off significant injuries.

Last edited by aj.; 08-01-2004 at 09:35 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004   #27
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan
you hit the nail on the head with that one, MISTRIL. McClain has managed to hand out a few free tickets and other 'favors' to certain board members in a blatent attemt to ingratiate himself and get out of the 'hot seat' treatment that this board USED to give him.
I guess I need hit up McClain for some of that action, because I haven't received a thing in exchange for my support of him.

MISTRIL,
Sorry for taking so long, but I took a couple of days away from the internet. McClain not only is on the HOF selection committee, he is the head of it. I think that shows a little bit of respect from other writers. Also, when the Oilers went to Tennessee, McClain became one of the most popular radio guests in that state and still has quite a following over there. I think he does a once-a-week gig on the Titans official station. If you read his online question column, there are usually quite a few questions from Tennessee. He is also one of the selectors for the Texas Sports Hall of Fame and has done a lot with that organization.

I'm not related to McClain and have never even met him, I just think he is a informative NFL writer and an excellent radio personality. I wish McClain was covering the Texans because we would certainly get a lot more information in the Chronicle on them, but I can understand why he chose the less strenuous NFL gig.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read