Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-01-2004   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 52681 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bradford wants the ball more

this is from the chronicle:

"When I do get the ball, it'll be a first down, touchdown or a big play. That's the way I look at it," Bradford said. "I know when I touch the ball, something will happen. I don't even need a step -- just put it in my hands and I'll make something happen every time."

something happens when he gets thrown the ball alright, he either drops it or a stadium full of people sit astonished that he made the catch. He talks about having 75 catches in one season and wondering what he could do with that many catches- can you imagine how many balls would have to be thrown to him so that he could catch 75?!

MESSAGE BOARD STAFF!!!- thank you for all the training camp coverage, it's awesome!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004   #2
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

remember to include the link....
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...texans/2712628

I hope they go Gaff's way more, too, but I do agree that Bradford needs to be looked at more often....

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004   #3
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
- can you imagine how many balls would have to be thrown to him so that he could catch 75?!
Using the stats from the previous 2 seasons, Bradford would need about 200 passes directed at him to finish with 75 receptions for the season. No, I'm not kidding.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004   #4
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

what is that in comparrison to say AJ?
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Andre Johnson would need 146 pass attempts to achieve 75 catches, based on his reception % of 51.2 % in 2003.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004   #6
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

maybe it's just me but i'd just like to see us pass the ball more and further down field when we do...who catches it is up to carr and the reciever...but hey if DD is gonna get his 2,000 yds this season that probably won't happen...good news...if DD is getting 2000yds a season i'd say we're probably play off bound
Old 08-01-2004   #7
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Now nobody take this the wrong way. I like Corey Bradford. I really do. I want to see him succeed as much as the next guy.

Having said that I think that we are going to be seeing the ball go further down field. I just don't think it's going to be Corey that it'll be directed at. It'll be AJ. At least not after this season unless Corey miracles up a case of sticky hands. We've all wanted to see that since the day he came here and it hasn't happened yet so there's not much reason to expect it to suddenly occur. Corey's always going to be the guy who drops passes that kill your soul and makes catches that you thought were impossible with no telling which one you're going to get.
Old 08-01-2004   #8
Panther5407
All Pro

Does anyone even think that the Texans are going to resign him after this year? I personnally dont think they will but thats just me.
Old 08-01-2004   #9
LiveForTheGame
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to LiveForTheGame

I think it depends on how well Sloan Thomas does this year. If he can step it up and make a case for himself, then I think they'll go with the guy that has the future.
LiveForTheGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004   #10
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Sloan Thomas needs to worry about making the team, not unseating the #2 WR.

AJ will get all the double teams and Bradford is in a contract year. Both are signs that Bradford could have a much more productive year this year than last.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004   #11
Panther5407
All Pro

I think if Gaffney has a good year that he will beat out Bradford.
Old 08-01-2004   #12
LiveForTheGame
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to LiveForTheGame

I didn't mean Sloan would beat him out...I just meant he'd make the team and someone else may step up for the #2 spot.
LiveForTheGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004   #13
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther5407
I think if Gaffney has a good year that he will beat out Bradford.
I really hope that happens and it is a possiblity but I dont think the #2 and #3 WRs will get that much of difference in playing time since Palmer likes running 3 WR sets and the Texans do most of their damage out of the 3 WR sets...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 08-02-2004   #14
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

We've debated this to death but Gaffney and Bradford are receivers with vastly different skill sets and they are used very differently in the Texans offensive attack. You will rarely see Gaffney running fly routes to clear zones or win man to man battles deep because that's not his forte.' Similarly, you will rarely see Bradford line up in the slot or see him run a 15 yard crossing pattern from a split position looking for soft spots in the zone. Bradford has the flat out speed to beat defenders man to man and that's the way they use him. Gaffney doesn't have that kind of speed so they use him more as an underneath posession guy. At least that's the way it's been.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004   #15
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Bradford makes astonishing catches and misses easy ones sounds like someone who is thinking while trying to catch the ball. Sometimes a person reacting makes catches one doesn't see how. That's because the're not thinking and reacting. He has hands, but his brain gets in the way. When thinking they are not relaxed and the hands become boards.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004   #16
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibar_Harry
Bradford makes astonishing catches and misses easy ones sounds...
So Bradford has the hands and concentration of the likes of Owens, Moss, and AJ. Go figure....

Old 08-02-2004   #17
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153410 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Some guys have hands and some do not. A lot of it is natural an innate. Don't you guys remember tossing the football around as a kid? There are always a few guys who can't catch a cold. Bradford is one of them. I'm sure guys like Bradford work on them but some guys just will never have great hands and while they can improve on them, they will likely never have "good" hands.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read