Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-27-2005   #21
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

ESPN's Chris Mortensen is a regular guest on a sports radio show in Miami and does a pretty nice job covering many NFL topics during his weekly hour. On his show following the Bills debacle, he was asked him directly about the implications of the 2005 Texans coming out looking like the 2002 Texans. To my surprise, Mortensen (who doesn't usually say much about the AFC South unless it includes the words "Manning" or "Leftwich") didn't miss a beat. He said, "You know, I was on the phone with Dom Capers this afternoon and asked him about that." It was the first time I'd actually heard someone in the national (non-Houston) sports media acknowledge that Capers was on the hot seat. It's a sign of awareness that some in the NFL community (like many local fans) aren't willing to give the Texans staff the "expansion" pass anymore.

He added that Capers was very much aware that the pressure was on. And Mortensen never fell back to that same old "it's the offensive line" comment that most of the national media uses as their entire opinion about the Texans.

Capers will obviously shoulder the blame (or credit) for what happens from here on out. But unless this team totally goes into the tank, I can't believe he'll be fired anytime soon. I mean, why? You know they wouldn't hire a permanent coach until the year's over.

As for Casserly, that's another story, but if the talent isn't living up to the hype, there'll be an argument that he should go out the door with Capers. It's not the worst thing. For example, the Dolphins are (so far) loving the fact that they ditched their coach and pseudo-GM in the same offseason. And even after dumping a large number of players from the Wannstedt regime in that same offseason, they're managing to field a nice team this year. Not the best, but better than the Texans even after much more turnover.

I still hope that the ship gets righted and somebody figures out how to resurrect the team that stomped on Jacksonville's throat last year.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read