Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-12-2011   #21
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 57173 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans sign a RB&WR

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
Soul Survivor
Devard Darling story of his deceased identical twin.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...7667/index.htm
Thanks srrono, that was quite the read. Enjoyed it.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011   #22
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86073 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
well how much of the playbook could this wr learn in 3 days to even take snaps away from any wr
Sometimes we make this too complicated. I think new WR will be running basic routes and being decoy. He does have some experience so terminology will be the key.

I think AJ & JJ will be out this game only to answer another poster.
Old 08-12-2011   #23
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86073 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Even though this report reports "ankle," Nick Scurfield has reported JJ's injury as a "bone bruise." Previous reports relayed a "foot" problem. When you think of a bone bruise of the foot, it is usually of the heel, which could be anything from a direct bruise of the "heel bone," a case of plantar fasciitis, or a stretched or mildly torn Achilles tendon. It can also reflect a stress fracture. Even though an x-ray has been said to show no fracture, such fractures may not show on x-ray for 10 days, and therefore, confirmatory x-rays should be repeated then to entirely rule out this possibility.

Bone bruises are not really bruises of the bone, but actually inflammation of the layer covering the bone (periosteum). Bone bruises of any sort can be exquisitely tender/painful and can last for prolonged periods of time. They certainly in many cases can affect performance.

We'll just have to see what's really going on with JJ. Time will tell.
I had one in Marine boot camp and it was very painful. What most don't think about is by trying to walk and avoid pain to injured area, I stressed the other foot. Rest is about the only thing I was told to do and in boot camp? Yeah, right.
Old 08-12-2011   #24
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I hear the RB looked pretty good in practice today.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011   #25
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I had one in Marine boot camp and it was very painful. What most don't think about is by trying to walk and avoid pain to injured area, I stressed the other foot. Rest is about the only thing I was told to do and in boot camp? Yeah, right.
That is an excellent point. Compensation for injured/painful lower limbs will commonly cause problems with the opposite limb.......sometimes even greater problems than for the original injury.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011   #26
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15056 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i hate this new kick off rule and i think the td review rule needs tweaking shouldnt be a auto review it should be a coach review without cost of reg challenge
I don't know that it is number of injuries so much as it is severity of them. Us Texans fans know that first hand (Harry Williams, Cedric Killings).
Old 08-12-2011   #27
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18096 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
I don't know that it is number of injuries so much as it is severity of them. Us Texans fans know that first hand (Harry Williams, Cedric Killings).
The game seems watered down without kickoffs cause face it with this rule seems like the KOs have been cut out 90% of the time I heard a couple teams were kicking off short in order to practice coverage cant evailuate special teams coverage without returns. If this stays ib the Texans will be one of the teams that greatly benifits because defense will have better field position and last year the Texans had the most 80 yard scoring drives of any team in the league.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011   #28
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142041 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

There are two basic changes.

1) They're kicking off from the 35 which means almost every kicker can get a touchback and anyone returning will usually have to start from deep in the endzone.

2) The line has to start from 5 lines behind the ball instead of 10. So that slows down the coverage team.

Most returners are going to be taking knees because it's going to be damned hard to even make it back out to the twenty. The kick teams might start going to a strategy of high kicks with long hangtimes to try to pin teams back. So it changes from kickers putting it out the back of hte endzone to kickers putting it right about the 5 with a high, high kick so that the coverage team has the guy surrounded when he catches the ball.

It's going to be interesting to see the strategy.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011   #29
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142041 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostock101 View Post
If moving the kickoff was for player safety, I'm curious if there were a disproportinate number of injuries during kickoffs? I just don't recall seeing more injuries there than any other play on the field.
Like someone else said, it's about the severity. It's why the wedge was outlawed last year. Guys running downfield full blast and sacrificing their bodies to take blockers down and the number of full blast helmet to helmet contacts caused an inordinate number of spinal injuries on kickoffs.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011   #30
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Like someone else said, it's about the severity. It's why the wedge was outlawed last year. Guys running downfield full blast and sacrificing their bodies to take blockers down and the number of full blast helmet to helmet contacts caused an inordinate number of spinal injuries on kickoffs.
That and I heard them say during the chiefs broadcast that the injuries were proportionally skewed towards more injuries on kick-off.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read