Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-07-2011   #21
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans' D more a rebuild than a remodel

Yes it's going to take more than the best WR and the NFL rushing king to beat the vaunted Colts defense.
Old 08-07-2011   #22
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Man, those guys posting that stuff are ultimate homers.

LOL. Looking for any little sign they can find.

Guess what? I think the Colts QB will be fine. He will play game 1. He will be as good as he always has been. I don't sit here and go "Ooo! Ooo! Their QB has a broken neck, and he's going to get killed by the Texans!" No, I know full well that our opponents are capable of beating us.

But you read some stuff like what those goobers posted, and you shake your head. They've been so accustomed to having Robo-QB back there that they are going to have a rude awakening one day when he's old and dried up and can't handle it anymore. That place should be fun to watch when he retires. It will be End Times mindset there.

Hopefully, this is the year we take the division. Manhandle our divisional opponents. Make a statement. Hopefully. LOL.
Old 08-08-2011   #23
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade did a little of everything this defense, thankfully with the stamp of approval from the management. He's taken what he could off the old roster and put a few pieces in better positions to succeed (Williams/Ryans/Cushing/Barwin/Quin) drafted a few pieces (Watt/Reed/Harris) that should make some impact, gotten his men in free agency (Joseph/Manning) and developed a young player (Mitchell). The only positions he hasn't really addressed is CB2 which is a good competition and Antonio Smith's DE who is playing in the wrong defense. That's a lot of fixin' for one year.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011   #24
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Yes it's going to take more than the best WR and the NFL rushing king to beat the vaunted Colts defense.
If I remember correctly last season we stomped Colts game one and was leading in 4th quarter late. I think we should beat our division all 6 games.
Old 08-08-2011   #25
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 254692 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Wade did a little of everything this defense, thankfully with the stamp of approval from the management. He's taken what he could off the old roster and put a few pieces in better positions to succeed (Williams/Ryans/Cushing/Barwin/Quin) drafted a few pieces (Watt/Reed/Harris) that should make some impact, gotten his men in free agency (Joseph/Manning) and developed a young player (Mitchell). The only positions he hasn't really addressed is CB2 which is a good competition and Antonio Smith's DE who is playing in the wrong defense. That's a lot of fixin' for one year.
The only part of that I'll disagree with is Antonio Smith. As a DE/DT in a 4-3, he's a good fit for a 3-4 DE. He left Arizona and came here, in part, because he didn't want to be a 3-4 DE or a 4-3 DT. He wanted to be a 4-3 DE. But he's got the size and skills to excel as a 3-4 DE and I think it's his best position. I think this D will be good for him and judging from his recent comments, he agrees.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011   #26
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I think they did address cb2.

By signing Joseph they pushed everyone down the depth chart and they drafted 2 corners, one in the second round.

Someone should emerge as an at least decent player there.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011   #27
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
If I remember correctly last season we stomped Colts game one and was leading in 4th quarter late. I think we should beat our division all 6 games.
Shoulda beaten em with ****ing Sage Rosenfels as the QB what the **** I hate that game.
Old 08-08-2011   #28
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Defenses come together faster than offenses. That's just the way it happens. The Texans defense in 2002 was made of pieces from all over the league and was ready to play hard by the end of preseason. That was a Vic Fangio coached defense that supposedly employed a system that players described as relatively complex.

By most measures I believe Wade Phillips is considered a very good DC and a good teacher. I expect the defense to be ready to play adequately by opening day and to really hit it's stride by the 5th week of the season.
Old 08-08-2011   #29
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I expect the defense to be ready to play adequately by opening day and to really hit it's stride by the 5th week of the season.
That's about what I'm thinking as well.
I expect 3 out of the first 4 games to be shootouts, or at least fairly high scoring (Indy, NO, Pitt), but then we see Oakland, Baltimore, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Tamp, and Jacksonville again.

I think the D will improve quite a bit though this stretch of games. No scary offenses in that group.
No real quality QBs in that group either, other than possibly Flacco, depending on your opinion of him. My opinion of him is pretty much meh...
Josh Freeman is decent, and could show some improvement by that game. He just might be the better QB out of all of those teams by that time.
Overall, I think the D will do well during that stretch.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011   #30
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
That's about what I'm thinking as well.
I expect 3 out of the first 4 games to be shootouts, or at least fairly high scoring (Indy, NO, Pitt), but then we see Oakland, Baltimore, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Tamp, and Jacksonville again.

I think the D will improve quite a bit though this stretch of games. No scary offenses in that group.
No real quality QBs in that group either, other than possibly Flacco, depending on your opinion of him. My opinion of him is pretty much meh...
Josh Freeman is decent, and could show some improvement by that game. He just might be the better QB out of all of those teams by that time.
Overall, I think the D will do well during that stretch.
We can only hope the opposing offense gets the surprise of their lives and our guys intercept a few passes, because I would be throwing at our #2 corner until they stop me. Probably would not let one INT change my mind.

If KJ does start and has some success early, it could really boost his confidence. There is still long way to go before game one.
Old 08-08-2011   #31
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Defenses come together faster than offenses. That's just the way it happens. The Texans defense in 2002 was made of pieces from all over the league and was ready to play hard by the end of preseason. That was a Vic Fangio coached defense that supposedly employed a system that players described as relatively complex.

By most measures I believe Wade Phillips is considered a very good DC and a good teacher. I expect the defense to be ready to play adequately by opening day and to really hit it's stride by the 5th week of the season.
Remember Frank Bush's first year.

The preseason & the first three games, our defense looked woefully pathetic. Then over the final 13 games they looked like a real NFL defense.
Old 08-08-2011   #32
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Aaron Glenn played for both Fangio and Wade in a 3-4. He said Fangio's defense was like calculus. Lots of reads and very complex, requiring players to make decisions to react a split second before the ball is hiked.

Glenn said Wade's 3-4, on the other hand, was addition and subtraction. Wade's entire philosophy is focused on getting to the QB and getting turnovers. Glenn said that if players just consistently fulfill their assignments, Wade's defense is the way to go. Glenn said some really positive things about Phillips and loved playing for him.

It is because of Wade that I am allowing some optimism about the Texans into my brain.
Old 08-08-2011   #33
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37204 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Look at the Colts all you want to, but Jacksonville under Del Rio
OWNS Kubiak's Texans. Fisher's no longer in Tennessee, so maybe
they have a shot.

In other words...

I'll believe the Texans can win the division once they ACTUALLY DO IT.

This is the same team that will rack up an 8-2 out of the AFC South,
but go 1-5 IN the division and expect to make the playoffs.

Don't forget....

Kubiak tried to outsmart the world in the second game against the
Colts, when he started the game VERY pass-happy. Everyone and
their GRANDMAMA knew that you pound the rock with Foster till
they PROVE they can stop it. Kubiak CHOKED.

I'll be paying close attention to the first 12 games.

beLEEEEEEEE DAT!!
Old 08-08-2011   #34
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 254692 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
Look at the Colts all you want to, but Jacksonville under Del Rio
OWNS Kubiak's Texans.
Just a point but Kubiak is 5-5 against Del Rio's Jags and one of those losses was in OT. That's not really my definition of "owned".

The Texans were 3-3 in the division last year and ended up with a 6-10 record. I'd prefer the 1-5 in the division that we had the year before if we end up 9-7 or better.

But we definitely need to start off better than 5-7.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011   #35
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Just a point but Kubiak is 5-5 against Del Rio's Jags and one of those losses was in OT. That's not really my definition of "owned".

The Texans were 3-3 in the division last year and ended up with a 6-10 record. I'd prefer the 1-5 in the division that we had the year before if we end up 9-7 or better.

But we definitely need to start off better than 5-7.
I agree big time. I bet Dex would love to change his sig. I know I want him to be able to.

Our schedule out of the gate it looks pretty tough. I hope Wade can get this defense ready day 1 but that's a pretty tall order. If they gel in the 4th to 5th week then I think the season's maybe not in great shape, but salvagable. I think it depends on which games we can 'steal' up front. JMO

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.

Last edited by drs23; 08-08-2011 at 09:17 PM. Reason: reword
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read