Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Secondary options you prefer.
Manning and Quinn at Safety/ Joseph and Allen at CB 44 49.44%
Manning and Quinn at Safety/ Joseph and Jackson at CB 28 31.46%
Nolan and Manning at Safety/ Joseph and Quinn at CB 11 12.36%
Manning and Quinn at safety/ Joseph and "rookie" at CB 6 6.74%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2011   #81
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is moving Quinn To Safety smart ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
No, I don't think that at all. I'm hopeful that returning to a technique that has been learned at every step of his football life will be beneficial, though.

I'd also be curious to know how many times KJ has fallen compared to any other player on the team.
KJ is under a microscope, so every slip is front page news.

I haven't heard a peep about any other player falling down. Not One.

BUT, I'm pretty confident that many other players have fallen, but it doesn't get mentioned because the spotlight is not on them regarding falling down.

For all we know, 20 other players on the team have fallen down more than KJ, but you only KJ's falls are being micro-analyzed because that's what people want to hear about.

In the words of The Kinks "give the people what they want, give the people what they want..."
It's kind of a given that when a CB falls down, it's going to be glaringly obvious. I haven't heard of Allen falling down, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. I'll reread some of 76Texan's posts and see if he mentions Allen or either safety falling down.
Old 08-05-2011   #82
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
It's kind of a given that when a CB falls down, it's going to be glaringly obvious. I haven't heard of Allen falling down, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. I'll reread some of 76Texan's posts and see if he mentions Allen or either safety falling down.
I'm thinking about going to an open practice so I can judge with my own eyes, cause they're... you know... so much better than everyone else's.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #83
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I'm thinking about going to an open practice so I can judge with my own eyes, cause they're... you know... so much better than everyone else's.
So true...so true
Old 08-05-2011   #84
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 134080 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Quinn as safety. That seems like a much better position for him. He hits hard and he won't have to cover near as much as he can ball hawk and watch plays develop more. This seems like a much better position for him.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #85
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

e. Johnathan Joseph CB/Brandon Harris CB Glover Quin SS/Danieal Manning FS

they need to move fast & put Kareem in a position to succeed. He has size, skills to transition just as quickly to safety as Quin both are great in run support too. Actually like his hands better which is why he is a more likely fit as a FS yet still would fit the twin free safety concept Wade talks about & with acquisition of Manning he has time to retool his game & still learn a new position. Along with Joseph, rookies Brandon Harris, Roc Carmichael & Jason Allen the corners have a nice mix of raw talent, skills & experience. But we as fans, the coaches etc... would have to a little more patient & I'm not convinced this organization has that luxury to use the former first round pick to jump into safety role as much as a fourth rounder?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #86
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
e. Johnathan Joseph CB/Brandon Harris CB Glover Quin SS/Kareem Jackson FS

they need to move fast & put Kareem in a position to succeed. He has the size, skills to transition just as quickly to safety as Quin. Actually like his hands better which is why he is a more likely fit as a FS yet still would fit the twin free safety concept Wade talks about. Would throw Allen in the mix as well (FS) experience & rookie Shiloh Keo as back-up strong safety. Along with Joseph, rookies Brandon Harris & Roc Carmichael who are your more natural, quick twitch, glued to their man cornerbacks Texans secondary could be much improved, but we as fans, the coaches etc... would have to a little more patient & I'm not convinced this organization has that luxury.
I don't know, Jackson doesn't seem like a sure-enough tackler. If we're going with Jax at an S position I'd have to think he'd be a back-up, or battling Quinn, not Manning.
Old 08-05-2011   #87
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30026 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
You do know that Quin was nation's 7th rated FS coming out of college?
Has nothing to do with now.

Rey- again, both were bad. Both guys gave up 942 yds and combined for 11 td given up. The whole notion about safeties don't need to be as agile is bs. In fact, I think with the Y-flex te, safeties are just as important as corners to me. With so many teams spreading teams out in 11 personell, the safety need cb skills. That's why gone are the atwatrer type safeties and in comes the smaller,rangy safeties. Again, look at troy P, ed reed, bob sanders, bethea, mike griffin. Those are very athetic,rangy guys. Those are also 4.3 guys who can get from the deep middle to the sideline or down in the box. Again, coverting a limited skilled cb to safety doesn't mean he will be a good safety.
Old 08-05-2011   #88
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Has nothing to do with now.

Rey- again, both were bad. Both guys gave up 942 yds and combined for 11 td given up. The whole notion about safeties don't need to be as agile is bs. In fact, I think with the Y-flex te, safeties are just as important as corners to me. With so many teams spreading teams out in 11 personell, the safety need cb skills. That's why gone are the atwatrer type safeties and in comes the smaller,rangy safeties. Again, look at troy P, ed reed, bob sanders, bethea, mike griffin. Those are very athetic,rangy guys. Those are also 4.3 guys who can get from the deep middle to the sideline or down in the box. Again, coverting a limited skilled cb to safety doesn't mean he will be a good safety.
Some misinformation in there, but I hear you and I understand your pov.

Don't agree with it, but i understand.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #89
redwhiteANDblue
Color of Texans

Rep Power: 5007 redwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respected

Clip of Jason Allen here. He seems in good position against randy pretty much every play but doesn't have the awareness to bat the ball down. If Vance Joseph can teach him to at least use his hands and bat balls down he could be a good corner.
Old 08-05-2011   #90
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
e. Johnathan Joseph CB/Brandon Harris CB Glover Quin SS/Danieal Manning FS

they need to move fast & put Kareem in a position to succeed. He has size, skills to transition just as quickly to safety as Quin both are great in run support too. Actually like his hands better which is why he is a more likely fit as a FS yet still would fit the twin free safety concept Wade talks about & with acquisition of Manning he has time to retool his game & still learn a new position. Along with Joseph, rookies Brandon Harris, Roc Carmichael & Jason Allen the corners have a nice mix of raw talent, skills & experience. But we as fans, the coaches etc... would have to a little more patient & I'm not convinced this organization has that luxury to use the former first round pick to jump into safety role as much as a fourth rounder?
Agree 100%
Old 08-05-2011   #91
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I don't know, Jackson doesn't seem like a sure-enough tackler. If we're going with Jax at an S position I'd have to think he'd be a back-up, or battling Quinn, not Manning.
this is a discussion I'm sure we shall revisit over & over again

but don't you get a sense that maybe a move needs to be made before its too late? I do tend to think too far outside the box at times, well most times in fact but in this case I want to see Jackson succeed, he is a football player who right now is overwhelmed & has lost his confidence. Maybe the best thing right now is to just sit him on the bench & let him watch awhile, continue to coach him up but not allow him to be placed in a situation where he could cost the team another win. I'm just saying from a talent evaluation standpoint he looks like a nickle or safety prospect to me.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011   #92
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
DBs fall down all the time.
Cromatie, Revis, our safeties, Quin, Allen, all of them (and more than once).

Joseph, for example, fell down 3 times in the 9 Bengals games that I watched.
He gave up 3 TDs.
And a LB saved a TD for him.

Allen gave up a 26-27 yd TD when he fell down (could have been 99 yards for all we know if the opponents were to be on their one-yd line.)
He fell down on another play that I can remember fo sure.
That one could have been a TD also, but the QB had already gone in a different direction.
I will post those screen shots when I have time.
I don't remember whether he fell down more than those two times (in the 7 games he played for us.)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011   #93
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 131049 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
DBs fall down all the time.
Cromatie, Revis, our safeties, Quin, Allen, all of them (and more than once).

Joseph, for example, fell down 3 times in the 9 Bengals games that I watched.
He gave up 3 TDs.
And a LB saved a TD for him.

Allen gave up a 26-27 yd TD when he fell down (could have been 99 yards for all we know if the opponents were to be on their one-yd line.)
He fell down on another play that I can remember fo sure.
That one could have been a TD also, but the QB had already gone in a different direction.
I will post those screen shots when I have time.
I don't remember whether he fell down more than those two times (in the 7 games he played for us.)
there is a difference between me (other CBs) falling down a few times, and the amount of times an old drunk (Jackson) falls down. why compare .
EllisUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011   #94
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
there is a difference between me (other CBs) falling down a few times, and the amount of times an old drunk (Jackson) falls down. why compare .
How many times did you see Jackson fall down last year?

How many times do you think I saw Allen fall down last year?

I feel up for a friendly wager!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011   #95
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

All the reports Ive read - Highlights Ive seen so far .... Jackson has been beaten by rookie UDFA's and guy's who were on last years practice squad. That just doesnt sound good to me ....

Anyone been to the practices and seen anything that would give us reason to believe Jackson is improved over last year ? Will he hold the starting spot based upon the merits of his play or .... his draft status.

Gary if you keep running this guy out there as a starter he's gonna cost you your job.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011   #96
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

By game one I want to feel a lot more confident about CB#2

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read