Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 08-03-2011   #21
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: gas grill recommendation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Are we gonna see this "egg" at the tailgate Katie?
You will see the results of it for sure. Brisket and pulled pork can sit overnight on it and will be easy to bring already smoked and just ready to serve.
Old 08-03-2011   #22
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 24148 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
This is not a gas grill, but heats up fast, so can be used like a grill or a smoker. I bought my husband one for father's day and it is awesome.

The Big Green Egg. http://www.biggreenegg.com/

If you live in Houston, go to Bering's Hardware and check them out.
I.

Need.

This.

Grill.

I went to a friends house a while back who had one and it was amazing.

Wife already knows that one of these will be purchased upon our return to the land of the big PX.
Old 08-03-2011   #23
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txn_in_ROK View Post
I.

Need.

This.

Grill.

I went to a friends house a while back who had one and it was amazing.

Wife already knows that one of these will be purchased upon our return to the land of the big PX.
Quick list of things we have done on this grill since Father's day that have totally beaten anything we have done in the past. In no particular order. And leaving out tons.

Grilled:
Steaks - ribeye and fillet mignon you can get it up to 700 and cook 3 min per side. smoke flavor is awesome and they are so tender
Baconfest - go check out the thread. do a search
Salmon - OMG
Tuna - see above
Pork Tenderloin
Shrimp and Scallops

Oven Baked: we had a oven baked pizza fest last weekend. It went well

Smoked:
Brisket
Turkey
Ribs, pork and beef
Pork Shoulder for pulled pork - another OMG
Old 08-03-2011   #24
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86827 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Me wants an egg myself.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #25
BrwnsTown
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 BrwnsTown is a quality contributor and well respectedBrwnsTown is a quality contributor and well respectedBrwnsTown is a quality contributor and well respectedBrwnsTown is a quality contributor and well respectedBrwnsTown is a quality contributor and well respectedBrwnsTown is a quality contributor and well respectedBrwnsTown is a quality contributor and well respectedBrwnsTown is a quality contributor and well respectedBrwnsTown is a quality contributor and well respectedBrwnsTown is a quality contributor and well respectedBrwnsTown is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is not a gas grill, but heats up fast, so can be used like a grill or a smoker. I bought my husband one for father's day and it is awesome.

The Big Green Egg. http://www.biggreenegg.com/

If you live in Houston, go to Bering's Hardware and check them out.

Just had to say thanks.. Checked them out today lucky enough to have a dealer 15 min. from my house in Ohio...

What size it that one? Med. or Large?
And how long have you been using it?
BrwnsTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #26
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrwnsTown View Post
Just had to say thanks.. Checked them out today lucky enough to have a dealer 15 min. from my house in Ohio...

What size it that one? Med. or Large?
And how long have you been using it?
It is the large. Should be good enough for everything a normal family needs. We got ours in June. It has had a serious workout this summer.
Old 08-04-2011   #27
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4661 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

I got this one after seeing TXDAVID's

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...oductId=183402
Old 08-06-2011   #28
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 16564 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

Has anyone tried one of those electric smokers? Thinking of buying the hub one for Christmas

Last edited by Kimmy; 08-06-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Kimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011   #29
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86827 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy View Post
Has anyone tried on of those electric smokers? Thinking of buying the hub one for Christmas
Good question. I'd like to know myself. There is a cheap one at Home Depot and Lowes I've been targeting for several months now that I'm thinking about getting and would like to know about. Anyone?
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012   #30
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

I realize it took a while, but thanks to everyone for their recommendations and thoughts. The Weber Genesis E-310 arrived 2 days ago. I broke it in by grilling filets and rib eyes. OUTSTANDING. The grill, that is. (The steaks were not shabby either. )

I'm going to be doing this grilling thing a lot.

all the best,
rick

PS: ScarJo is still as hot as my grill.
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012   #31
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 100796 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyb View Post
I realize it took a while, but thanks to everyone for their recommendations and thoughts. The Weber Genesis E-310 arrived 2 days ago. I broke it in by grilling filets and rib eyes. OUTSTANDING. The grill, that is. (The steaks were not shabby either. )

all the best,
rick

GlassHalfFull & I both have E-310/E-320 as well. You won't regret the purchase.
Old 04-28-2012   #32
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyb View Post

all the best,
rick

Happy Grilling!
Old 05-02-2012   #33
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I got the Brinkman free grill and it is awesome as a lot in the blue crue know. I got a gas smoker and I would put it up against any smoker on the market. I barely do anything but cook outside so they get a lot of use and compliments
Old 05-02-2012   #34
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
Sorry I use charcoal only. Weber is the best charcoal grill at the price by far, so I am guessing their gas grills are good quality.

I would love to have the Big Green Egg, they are awesome, just out of my price range though.

Here's mine:

"Unlike charcoal, propane is a clean burning fuel so you get to taste the actual flavor of....the meat. My friend any grill you want to purchase from the Vagner Char-King to the Vagner Imperial...would be a quality product, but you're doing fine as long as you use a ...propane grill. I can give you a 13 point presentation on why it's superior to charcoal...I have some brochures on my desk..."

Just messin' with ya I use charcoal too.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #35
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
"Unlike charcoal, propane is a clean burning fuel so you get to taste the actual flavor of....the meat. My friend any grill you want to purchase from the Vagner Char-King to the Vagner Imperial...would be a quality product, but you're doing fine as long as you use a ...propane grill. I can give you a 13 point presentation on why it's superior to charcoal...I have some brochures on my desk..."

I sell clean-burning propane and propane accessories.

Grilled out again tonight. The butcher knows me by name already.

Rick
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012   #36
majestrate
Veteran

Rep Power: 5020 majestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respected

If you get a BGE, you better have some friends around to help you get it to the spot you want it, and then plan on never moving it again (unless you just leave it in the nest for forever).

I have a friend that has a Large BGE, helped him unload it when he got it home, then when he moved, he and I loaded and unloaded it. F------ are damned heavy (ceramic SOBs), but the quality is just amazing. You get true temp control. You can smoke, grill, and bake on them (seriously, the MFs come with a recipe book and it includes a cookie recipe, and brownie recipe, I believe).

When I buy a house and get ready for a grill, I'm getting a BGE myself.
majestrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #37
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by majestrate View Post
If you get a BGE, you better have some friends around to help you get it to the spot you want it, and then plan on never moving it again (unless you just leave it in the nest for forever).

I have a friend that has a Large BGE, helped him unload it when he got it home, then when he moved, he and I loaded and unloaded it. F------ are damned heavy (ceramic SOBs), but the quality is just amazing. You get true temp control. You can smoke, grill, and bake on them (seriously, the MFs come with a recipe book and it includes a cookie recipe, and brownie recipe, I believe).

When I buy a house and get ready for a grill, I'm getting a BGE myself.
We did have it delivered and set up. But the nest has wheels and we wheel it in and out from the porch all the time. But yes, it is heavy.

Old 05-03-2012   #38
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post

You had me going for a second. I was about to have you over for some brisket to prove you wrong.

Specifically I use lump charcoal and wood. Usually pecan, mesquite or oak. Pecan is my favorite. I need to get around to trying out apple and peach wood, been saying I would for awhile now.
Old 05-03-2012   #39
majestrate
Veteran

Rep Power: 5020 majestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We did have it delivered and set up. But the nest has wheels and we wheel it in and out from the porch all the time. But yes, it is heavy.

I know it does, that's why I said "unless you leave it in the nest for forever" :P

My friend and his dad built a stand for his BGE, but it also had a work surface and some drawers for utensil storage, so it didn't stay in the nest.
majestrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012   #40
Tastyca

Default surprized thanks

I'm new here , nice thread!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read