Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 08-02-2011   #1
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected
Default gas grill recommendation?

Hey, gang. Many of you are accomplished tailgaters. By extension, I might infer that you also grill it up at home. I am in the market for a gas grill. Does anyone feel strongly about their particular product (good or bad) and why? I am looking for your recommendations.

Thanks,
Rick
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011   #2
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: gas grill recommendation?

I'd say Weber is the best from all of the research I did before getting my grill and I did a lot. Try to find one with solid stainless steel parts in the inside for a good price would be my recommendation. The grill should last longer that's for sure. You'll pay less for ones that don't have though though. Probably a few hundred bucks less.

Weber is expensive though. Just for their starter gas grill it's around 4 to 500 bucks. It will last though.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011   #3
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I'd say Weber is the best from all of the research I did before getting my grill and I did a lot. Try to find one with solid stainless steel parts in the inside for a good price would be my recommendation. The grill should last longer that's for sure. You'll pay less for ones that don't have though though. Probably a few hundred bucks less.

Weber is expensive though. Just for their starter gas grill it's around 4 to 500 bucks. It will last though.
Thanks. I am willing to spend the extra for the longevity. Stainless is a definite positive.
Old 08-02-2011   #4
Craig.
Nosebleeds

Rep Power: 2136 Craig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respected

I've got a Freedom Grill and let me tell you, you roll into the lots with one of these hooked into to your trailer hitch and peeps will be ON you. If you scour craigslist there are some new ones out there for under $200.

Craig. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011   #5
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyb View Post
Thanks. I am willing to spend the extra for the longevity. Stainless is a definite positive.
The stainless steel parts don't burn up and rust nearly as easy. There are some nice bands out there, but everywhere I looked and read, Weber was always the most highly decorated one out there. I ended up getting the Weber charcoal grill with the gas starter. I love it!
Old 08-02-2011   #6
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

This is not a gas grill, but heats up fast, so can be used like a grill or a smoker. I bought my husband one for father's day and it is awesome.

The Big Green Egg. http://www.biggreenegg.com/

If you live in Houston, go to Bering's Hardware and check them out.
Old 08-02-2011   #7
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19489 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry I use charcoal only. Weber is the best charcoal grill at the price by far, so I am guessing their gas grills are good quality.

I would love to have the Big Green Egg, they are awesome, just out of my price range though.

Here's mine:

Old 08-02-2011   #8
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I prefer charcoal to gas.

So I have this baby. It's got a small propane tank that you can use to start the fire and when the fire starts to die back, you can kick on the gas to pump up the heat.

I also keep the gas on when I'm searing steaks.

This thing rocks.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011   #9
Craig.
Nosebleeds

Rep Power: 2136 Craig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respectedCraig. is a quality contributor and well respected

Dammit. I read tailgater and missed the home part.

My gasser is a Weber S420. Not cheap but I assure you it will last. I've also got a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker that's top notch, too.

The addage is true: Buy a Weber and you'll only cry once.
Old 08-02-2011   #10
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

So I have this baby. It's got a small propane tank that you can use to start the fire and when the fire starts to die back, you can kick on the gas to pump up the heat.

This thing rocks.
Same one I bought a few months back if you remember. Love it!!
Old 08-02-2011   #11
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig. View Post
Dammit. I read tailgater and missed the home part.

My gasser is a Weber S420. Not cheap but I assure you it will last. I've also got a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker that's top notch, too.

The addage is true: Buy a Weber and you'll only cry once.
It's OK, Craig. I appreciated the color of the Freedom Grill, and also your reply. Weber seems to be a common theme.
Old 08-02-2011   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hey, gang. Many of you are accomplished tailgaters. By extension, I might infer that you also grill it up at home. I am in the market for a gas grill. Does anyone feel strongly about their particular product (good or bad) and why? I am looking for your recommendations.

Thanks,
Rick
No gas.............. EVER!!!!

Okay, I have gas and get gas quite often, but no Gas Grills.....EVER!!!

Old 08-02-2011   #13
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 78404 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

If you ignore TB's lovely little Trager (great for slow-cooking/smoking), the best Gas Grill is usually by Weber.

I know several of us have variations on the Weber Genesis series grills. I'd advise skipping the all-stainless models (s-Series), and go with an E-310 or E-320 (320 has an extra side burner) and simply buy a cover for it.

The porcelain enameled grates are actually superior to the stainless ones.

Old 08-02-2011   #14
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19489 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

This thing rocks.
That's the same thing as mine sans the table, propane starter, etc. I wanted to get the one you have but opted for the cheaper version on legs. That thing is sweet thought.

I don't know if there is enough height to do a beer can chicken in it though, I am going to test it out soon.
Old 08-02-2011   #15
Craig.
Nosebleeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
The porcelain enameled grates are actually superior to the stainless ones.
I disagree. Sure it can last longer than SS but you're limited to non-abrasive cleaning tools to clean them. Stainless will wear out over time but you could sandblast it if you had to. A crumpled up ball of aluminum foil does wonders.
Old 08-02-2011   #16
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61034 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...Id=prod1250116

I have this one. Weird thing though the first few times I used it the thing would get into the 450 degree range and I could not get it less. Oddly enough it maintains a nice temp now though.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #17
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Awesome feedback, all. Thanks for your insights and recommendations. Much appreciated.
Rick
Old 08-03-2011   #18
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Quote:
Awesome feedback, all. Thanks for your insights and recommendations. Much appreciated.
Rick
We like rep.
Old 08-03-2011   #19
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Grilled pork tenderloin on the Egg last night. Incredibly crisp crust and so moist on the inside. Set the Egg at 350, used apple, cherry and maple wood. A nice dry rub on the pork, put it on the grill for 40 min. rest for 10.

Just sayin' - once you egg, you will never look back.
Old 08-03-2011   #20
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29597 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
Grilled pork tenderloin on the Egg last night. Incredibly crisp crust and so moist on the inside. Set the Egg at 350, used apple, cherry and maple wood. A nice dry rub on the pork, put it on the grill for 40 min. rest for 10.

Just sayin' - once you egg, you will never look back.
Are we gonna see this "egg" at the tailgate Katie?
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read