Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-01-2011   #161
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Projected starters on defense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Those count as sacks don't they?
Ya know, now that you mention it that does sound vaguely familiar. Maybe it's never sunk in because I don't see the logic in it. Does it matter who recovered the ball? Regardless, let's get some damn turnovers!

EDIT: They do dognamit!

After looking online with no luck I went to nfl.com to find the rulebook. After that was completely unhelpful I do things the old fashioned way and the way I love to do things. Watched Ware highlights until I saw him strip McNabb, the screen showed the score of the game, the quarter and the time. My investigative spidey sense noticed the highlight real was posted in February 2010 so I went straight to the 2009 season results for the Cowboys on nfl.com. Saw a 34-14 post season victory for Dallas during the postseason of that year, the exact score that the clip showed at 4:10 left in the 4th quarter. Must be the same game, right? It was. The play-by-play for that particular play reads
Quote:
3-7-PHI 13 (4:10) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 5-D.McNabb sacked at PHI 12 for -1 yards (94-D.Ware). FUMBLES (94-D.Ware), RECOVERED by DAL-54-B.Carpenter at PHI 26. 54-B.Carpenter to PHI 26 for no gain (81-J.Avant).
So Ware stripped him 1 yard behind the line of scrimmage and gets credit for a forced fumble and a sack. Way to go thunder. Okay enough playing around on the internet for me. lol
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #162
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142677 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Ya know, now that you mention it that does sound vaguely familiar. Maybe it's never sunk in because I don't see the logic in it. Does it matter who recovered the ball? Regardless, let's get some damn turnovers!

EDIT: They do dognamit!
lol

Yeah, when you see a defensive player come around backside and knock the ball out of the QB's hands, that's a sack and a fumble.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #163
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23128 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

I think anyone who watched the cowboys enough and even ask cowboy fans, they didn't get consistent pressure even during their high sack year. They had 50 sacks one year, but were middle of the pack in terms of qb pressures and hits on the qb. I think with mario playing olb, his sack total might be up, but it will come at the expense of the rest of the teammates. Go and look at gb last year as an example in terms of d-line play. They had like 20 sacks from the line. The versitility and power of raji and jenkins allowed the cat blitzes and clay to get sacks off free runs to the qb. The year prior, arizona had docket and campbell working the qb off a 3 man rush. The cards were a top 10 defense because of this. When sd had a truly good defense, it was merriman and phillips bringing the heat off the edge, but castille was applying a lot of pressure. I think mario as a 5 would be as dominant as seymour was as a patriot. Mario would be a 10 sack kind of guy, but he would free up others to pitch in. As the olb, he's really not freeing anyone up. Just my opinion.
Old 08-02-2011   #164
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

How much if that was due to the talent of the individual players?

You can't rely solely on scheme to get pressure. You have to actually have some talented guys out there that can consistently beat the man in front of them.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011   #165
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23128 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
How much if that was due to the talent of the individual players?

You can't rely solely on scheme to get pressure. You have to actually have some talented guys out there that can consistently beat the man in front of them.
In terms of what? I know wades last season in sd, they had 61 sacks as a team. They also had a offense that averaged 30ppg. So what happens? The defense gets to bring the heat consistently. Look closely at the raw facts about the 61 sacks. Merriman had 17 and phillips had 11.5. Next person on that list is castille at 7 sacks in 10 games from the lde spot. If u look at those sd teams, phillips was pretty even with merriman on sacks and castille was chipping his in those also. In dallas, the best defens he ever had was 09 and not the year ware had 20 sacks. The year ware had 20 sacks and the had 58 or so as a team, they gave up 22ppg. Even more than that, they only had 8 ints and 16 ff which is low for a team wth 58 sacks.
Old 08-02-2011   #166
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

is anyone worried about earl mitchell starting at NT or is it just me?
Old 08-02-2011   #167
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5078 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The New Texans Defense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I get what you're saying, but comparing Mario to DeMarcus Ware as a OLB is complete fail.
Mario's skill set is different that Ware's.
Ware is way more fluid, has better change of direction, and is probably both quicker, and faster than Mario. Ware is a much more natural fit at OLB, which is kinda my point. Ware is also relentless, which is not a word I've ever heard associated with Mario.
I don't know man beenwatching the vids on texan.com and he seesm to be doing good in training camp.
Old 08-02-2011   #168
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 95 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that the Texans are taking the right approach after signing Manning & Joseph and being patient to see what good players will be let go for teams who need to get under the salary cap. I am not sold on Earl Mitchell or Cody holding up during the season at NT and the Glover Quinn at safety is just an experiment I think the Texans will sign another solid true safety and Quinn may not have a spot on this team really soon because I don't see him making that transition to the safety position.
Old 08-02-2011   #169
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 77974 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
I think that the Texans are taking the right approach after signing Manning & Joseph and being patient to see what good players will be let go for teams who need to get under the salary cap. I am not sold on Earl Mitchell or Cody holding up during the season at NT and the Glover Quinn at safety is just an experiment I think the Texans will sign another solid true safety and Quinn may not have a spot on this team really soon because I don't see him making that transition to the safety position.
You know, I'm not sure where it came from, but I've started to have the opposite opinion. for some reason, I'm expecting Mitchell to actually excel.
Nothing to back that up, really. Just a W-A-G.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011   #170
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

While the texans are hoping mitchell works out, the saints got franklin on a 1 yr deal. wwwprofootballfocus.com breaks down snaps and plays. They had franklin as tied for 2nd against the run and defensive stop for lineman. He was tied with suh. Rogers has been the best interior rusher ther past 3 seasons despite what this board feels. Both guys are along with ellis are on the same line in the big easy. One team making superbowl moves, the other playing if and think games.
Old 01-12-2012   #171
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I get what you're saying, but comparing Mario to DeMarcus Ware as a OLB is complete fail.
Ware is way more fluid, has better change of direction, and is probably both quicker, and faster than Mario. Ware is a much more natural fit at OLB, which is kinda my point. Ware is also relentless, which is not a word I've ever heard associated with Mario.
They play a similar position, both games influenced/coached by Wade Phillips. I would like to see Mario stay healthy & Wade stick around to continue his development, then we can compare more completely.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012   #172
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Williams has been snake bit with nagging injurys since he was drafted #1 overall by the Texans, but if you compare their combine measureables they are closer than one might expect based off "reputation". The key difference is Mario is much bigger @ 6'7" 291. DeMarcus Ware was 6'4" 251 @ his combine. Mario was forty pounds heavier, yet ran a 4.66 forty compared to Wares 4.53. While Mario lifted 35 reps @ 225 Ware benched 27. Both broad jumped 10 feet which measures explosiveness along with vertical over 40" for Mario (are you kidding me) compared to DeMarcus 38.5".

Ware also had Wade Phillips as his defensive coach, now its Mario's turn.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read